The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 19, 2014, 10:17 PM   #1
skizzums

taper crimp die

hey guys, been loading 9mm for a good bit, i have never used a taper crimp because i didnt buy the deluxe set wit my lee press. i would like to play around with one, after simply searching 9mm taper crimp die, i get a hornaday, lee, lyman all between 20 and 24 bucks. any difference between the crimp that these leave? any better than other, or do tey all do the same thing wth maybe just a difference in the quality of the die itself
Old April 20, 2014, 09:06 AM   #2
Don P

9 mm dies will be a taper crimp. That is what all die makers will have. You can buy taper crimp dies for revolver cartridges. Semi-autos are a taper crimp and revolvers are a roll crimp as a general rule.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 20, 2014, 09:40 AM   #3
pete2

A taper crimp is a taper crimp however, taper crimping while seating the bullet may cause problems, I did it for a while but I got deformed noses on by bullets. I found it best to crimp after seating the bullet on both 45 and 9MM.
Old April 20, 2014, 10:49 AM   #4
JT-AR-MG42

Pete is correct. Best to always seat and taper crimp as two steps.
I also do my roll crimping separate as well.

I use Lyman dies and their taper crimp dies exclusively except in the .41 Magnum loadings for a D.E.
For those loads I use a Redding taper crimp profile die for the crimp. It is an excellent die as well and am pleased with the chronographed consistency of the loads produced.

JT
Old April 20, 2014, 11:13 AM   #5
skizzums

okay, thank you

was really just asing if one makers crimp would be better or more consistent over the other, but if a crimp is a crimp, ill just stick with lee

THANKS!!!!

Last edited by skizzums; April 20, 2014 at 11:27 AM. Reason: speeling/typoos
Old April 20, 2014, 01:38 PM   #6
skizzums

i just noticed this was in competition shooting instead of reloading, sorry bout that
Old April 20, 2014, 07:12 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

When a case is supported against the firing pin blow (headspaced, if you prefer) on the case mouth, as with the 9mm Luger and the .45 ACP, a roll crimp can lead to soft support and erratic ignition, which in turn leads to inaccuracy. That is why a taper crimp is preferable for such calibers, since it allows proper support on the case mouth.

Jim
Old April 21, 2014, 03:23 PM   #8
k4swb

Remove the seater stem from the seater/crimp die and just use the Lee die for crimping.

Now spend a little more and get a GOOD seater die from someone that knows how to make a seater die. Lee does not.