The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 10, 2012, 10:15 PM   #1
5.56RifleGuy

FNC Sear gun

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had any good info on FN FNC guns. Are the ones that are done with aftermarket sears prone to breakage? Id hate to have an auto gun and then end up with a extra pricey semi auto.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Devin
Old March 11, 2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Willie Lowman

There is a FNC forum over at Uzitalk.com

Those guys should be able to answer all your FNC questions.
Old March 11, 2012, 06:15 PM   #3
5.56RifleGuy

Thanks for the tip
Old March 12, 2012, 07:31 AM   #4
Skans

My understanding is that it depends on the conversion. If the conversion was done properly, they are reported to be quite durable and not prone to breakage. I have a semi-auto FNC and I've been toying with the idea of buying a registered sear and having it converted.
Old March 12, 2012, 09:04 AM   #5
5.56RifleGuy

The one I am looking at seems to be an S&H conversion.

Are they supposed to be good?
Old March 12, 2012, 11:56 AM   #6
Skans

I believe S&H has been doing conversions for a long time - in fact, them may be the only ones doing FNC conversions right now. From what I know, the S&H conversions are as good as they get.
Old March 12, 2012, 01:05 PM   #7
5.56RifleGuy

Sounds good.

Skans,
Do you have your stuff under a trust? I asked my local transfer guy and he said that I pretty much have to do a trust. Would $450 be reasonable to start a trust?

Thanks,
Devin
Old March 12, 2012, 03:34 PM   #8
Skans

I own 1 machine gun - AC556. It's registered to me individually - at the time, my Sheriff would sign off on a Form 4. If I were to acquire another NFA item (like have my FNC converted with a registered sear), I'd do a trust.
Here's the thing about Trusts - there are all kinds of trusts. In my opinion, to get a good NFA trust done by someone who really knows what they are doing, $450 is a fair price. But, for $450, I'd want to know that the lawyer who is doing it is an experienced estate planning lawyer who attends the National Firearms Law Seminar put on by the NRA foundation, or a similar seminar that delves into the legal requirements of NFA trusts.

There are folks that will claim that you can get an NFA trust done for about $200. I would be skeptical of those - not saying that they are invalid, just saying that $200 doesn't even pay for 1 hour of attorney time for someone who has invested their time to stay up with estate and NFA laws.
Old March 12, 2012, 06:06 PM   #9
5.56RifleGuy

Thanks for the info.

The lawyer for the trust was recommended to me by the local NFA firearms dealer, so I guess that gives him some points. Ill have to get some more info about it, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting beat up on the price to set up the trust.

I heard the CLEO won't sign off on the paperwork here, so other than starting a business, that would be the way to do it.