The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 19, 2012, 11:55 PM   #1
'88Scrat

Storage?

I have a problem and I was hoping that you guys could give me a few ideas. Over the last couple of years I have aquired a large number of accesories for firearms as well as cleaning supplies and a reloading kit for shotgun shells.

Problem is that it finally occured to me that I have never really been organized in storing this stuff. I have ammo for all my firearms seperated by caliber in several Wal-Mart sacks, there are loose shotfun shells literally rolling around in my hunting/trap bag, and the cleannig and reloading supplies are scattered around a 4x4 area of floor.

All my firearms are under lock and key in a nice gun cabinet but it has no room for the other stuff. I was wondering if you guys could suggest a case or something. I also considered just going to my local Home Depot and getting some ceder and building something myself but don't really have any model to go on.

I envision something like a dressor or large cabinet but thats as far as I got. I realize the painful stupidity of this question but I really need ideas.
Old March 20, 2012, 12:21 AM   #2
sabo954

I store my ammo, both packaged and bulk, separated by caliber and in military-issue 7.62 NATO ammo canisters. Organization and good safety, all in one solution. As for my cleaning supplies, I have a separate case for them. Don't know what to tell you on the reloading supplies, I don't engage in that endeavor.
Old March 20, 2012, 08:44 AM   #3
CombustibleLemon

I use a work bench. I attached my turret press and a vice to the edge, put a nifty Glock work mat in the middle with an adjustable lamp and magnifier (eyes aren't what they used to be) and store my ammo in ammo boxes on the back. All my other reloading supplies (powder, primer, accessories etc.) go in those little white plastic drawers where the drawers themselves are see-through (Wal-Mart pretty cheap). Just how I do it. But you may find a work bench especially for your gun hobby as indispensable as me. Although I had considered a metal rack shelf beside it in times of extreme clutter.
Old March 20, 2012, 09:23 AM   #4
oneounceload

wally world has all sorts of small drawer storage units for keeping small stuff - I use a few small two drawer and one drawer ones for various cleaning stuff, knife sharpeners, rags, etc.

For my main cleaning stuff, I use a handy plastic open tote bucket that has a centered handle - I can fit all of my cleaners and oils, patches, brushes (in Plano fishing lure boxes) boresnakes, etc.in one handy carryall
Old March 23, 2012, 01:25 AM   #5
plumbercrack

You need a Man Cave like mine. I had a 8 x 10 shed that was pretty much empty and started by building a workbench with a vise. Then I had some leftover plywood and up went some shelves, then pegboard. I think you can see where this is going but it is now heated and cooled with cable and electric. I also buy ammo at local shows that mostly comes in plastic ammo cans that are already labeled. That is where I store my ammo, cleaning stuff, and different mounts and parts. I would put a fridge out there but I would no longer have a reason to go in the house.
Old March 25, 2012, 01:11 PM   #6
kraigwy

I have an old up right freezer (fridge would work) that works great for storing such items, including ammo and components.

Keeps them dry and out of the way.

You can get them for nothing.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 25, 2012, 01:55 PM   #7
insomni

I have a cabinet that I keep my firearms stuff in. I have a compartment for ammo, a compartment for accessories, and a compartment for cleaning supplies.

I started with one of those cheap plastic 3 drawer chests you can buy at Target, and have since upgraded to a nicer cabinet set.
Old March 26, 2012, 05:17 PM   #8
drail

Buy a large steel mechanic's tool box. Don't store steel or ammo in any kind of box that seals up airtight.
Old March 27, 2012, 10:38 AM   #9
Don P

Quote:
Don't store steel or ammo in any kind of box that seals up airtight.
Guess the army surplus ammo cans are a no-no then
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 28, 2012, 07:09 PM   #10
insomni

no the army cans are fine... they'll keep ammo for years. Their lid is waterproof, but still gas permeable

he was talking about something like a Fat Max tool box with a rubber gasket around it that seals air tight.