The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 23, 2005, 01:22 PM   #26
Doug.38PR

You know, when I first got my permit and put it in my wallet. I put my .38 on my hip and put my coat on. One of the first things that happened was I pulled up to a Kroger gas station pump on a windy day and the flap of my coat blew open. I don't think it really exposed anything and I caught it real quick, but the first fear that went through my mind was "OMGosh, what if somebody saw it!!! Will the police get called, I would I get in trouble, would they be understanding or will they be looking or an excuse to slap cuffs on somebody!" Later I found out that I could get in trouble if the gun was locked in my car in the console or glove compartment but not in a locked safe and a criminal broke in and got the gun. I could get sued or criminally charged. Later I was afraid of having a bulge show in my coat when I bent over. Found out later that that is legal. Anyway, in a nutshell all these little liberal subjective rules and laws started coming up on what you can and can't do and maybe can do depending on how the judge or how self-righteous the DA is, and honestly made me afraid to carry the gun because I was more afraid of the law than I was of the criminals (such is the world in which we live ) Anyway, my chl instructor said that the best thing to do is carry it with you wherever you go so you are responsible for it and if someone is going to steal it they have to get through you first and if they are going to kill you they have to stop your bullet first . Besides you never know when or where you are going to have to kill some scumbag. Another CHLer and gun dealer concurred with me that all the rules and regulations and cans and maybes in the CHL rulebook are so confusing, subjective and contradictory that you can't know everything about the law even if you memorize the book. I've learned to put my faith more in a Sovereign Almighty God than fear in a subjective law system that has more holes in it than swiss chesse. Carry your weapon whereever you can (except in places where you know you can't) and as R.E. Lee would put it, leave the rest to Providence.
Old June 23, 2005, 02:15 PM   #27
USP45usp

I can believe it. Here's something that I just googled:

Quote:
Drive-By-Shooting
Commit a drive-by-shooting as assigned by the gang.

http://www.faculty.smsu.edu/m/mkc096...oin_a_gang.htm

And I agree with the lesson, always be prepared as while as watchful.

Wayne
Old June 23, 2005, 03:29 PM   #28
Dre_sa

welcome to my world

here in south africa, we have to constnatly watch our backs. im sure you all know that crime is rampant here. muggings can even turn deadly, many people have been killed for20 bucks and a cell phone. i understand being ever watchful and do my best to be. but sadly it is just a matter of time before something unsavory happens. considering a move to the US soon, planning is underway...
Old June 23, 2005, 04:49 PM   #29
Mannlicher

No matter the veracity, the points are well taken. Be aware, have a plan, move away from the action, and be capable of defending yourself and your loved ones.
The only point I was not sure of, was if this was an advertisment for a commercial school, or was it an example of what all of us should know in today's America.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old June 23, 2005, 05:10 PM   #30
Trip20

Dre sa, stay safe. South Africa is definitely dangerous. I'm sure your situational awarness must be on full throttle at all times.

Good luck on your transition to the States.
Old June 23, 2005, 08:50 PM   #31
threefivesevenmag

Good Learning.

People do random things. Hopefully we were aware and prepared.

I think this story not only talks about being ready for any situation, but that self defense is a skill that must be honed.

I wish I could do paint/simmunitions training. I just don't have the money right now. But, it's still good to know that there are people out there that train well and are mentally prepared for what we all arm ourselves for.

Thanks for the story share and I would love to read any more stories to be offered and learn.
Old June 25, 2005, 10:29 PM   #32
Walter

My first thought as I read the story was that the occupants of the car were interested in kidnapping the female, and the handgun was displayed to frighten her. The quick reaction of the two pedestrians threw them off their plan and
they decided to abort it.

Does that sound far-fetched?

Walter
Old June 28, 2005, 03:25 AM   #33
LAK

All three lesson points right on target. And it goes to show that intelligent planning for certain scenarios is not a waste of time in the least.
Old June 29, 2005, 10:53 PM   #34
Jeff Loveless

credibility

Tom Givens is a real person. I've shot at his facility and we've been students in the same class once. I doubt he remembers me, but I remember him. I have absolutely no reason to doubt his story, for 2 reasons:

1. This sort of thing can and does happen.
2. He is a straight up guy and has better things to do than lie and make up a simple story like this.

With all the BS floating around and gun shop commandos telling tales, why pick on a man like Givens? :barf:

?
Old July 3, 2005, 07:25 PM   #35
PythonGuy

progunner1957:
Quote:
As far as the possibility of it being someone that James had "pissed off," the last time I checked, pissing someone off did not give the pissed off party a green light to commit murder.
Funny Pro, but in another thread you had your gun out and ready when a "pissed off" motorist came out of his car to talk to you. Of course in your thread you used YOUR super powers to read his mind
Quote:
that the guy from the car was walking up to our Chevy Blazer and was acting very HOSTILE. I told het to roll down her window ONE INCH ONLY to see what he had to say. I had already drawn my Glock 17 and was holding it at low ready in my position in the front passenger seat. I was becoming increasingly anxious
Acting very hostile huh? Double standard? And YOU call others schmuck? Thats funny.

For Tripp***Transgression: 1 : to go beyond limits set or prescribed by : VIOLATE <transgress divine law>
2 : to pass beyond or go over (a limit or boundary)
intransitive senses
1 : to violate a command or law : SIN
2 : to go beyond a boundary or limit

Last edited by PythonGuy; July 4, 2005 at 01:03 PM.