The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 16, 2018, 11:02 AM   #26
Picher

CVA "Handi-Rifle", .223 for sale:

Just got back from the club range, shooting with my buddy. He has a Handi-Rifle in .223 that shoots well, but he now has a bolt-action in that chambering, so wants to sell the break-open. It's in really good shape, so if someone is interested, he's willing to sell it for $200.

Picher

Last edited by Picher; July 17, 2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Changed the rifle maker to CVA
Old July 17, 2018, 12:32 PM   #27
Picher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozak6 View Post
I'm really curious about the CVA's.

There tends to be some pretty good sales on their rifles (and pistols!!!), but absolutely no one will ever admit to having fired one.
CVA "Handi-Rifle", .223 for sale (Thought it was an H&R, but he messaged me with the correction):

Just got back from the club range, shooting with my buddy. He has a Single Shot-Rifle in .223 that shoots well, but he now has a bolt-action in that chambering, so wants to sell the break-open. It's in really good shape, so if someone is interested, he's willing to sell it for $200.
Old July 17, 2018, 07:15 PM   #28
WV_gunner

I was just looking at Traditions website looking at flintlocks and noticed they also have single shot cartridge rifles.
Old July 24, 2018, 07:55 PM   #29
jaysouth

I have a CVA hunter converted to .358 Winchester. It is very accurate and kicks like a mule. My CVA scout is a pistol converted to .357 Maximum. It shoots as well as contenders.

The only accurate Handi rifle I have ever owned had $400 worth of work done on it by David White. It is also .357Max and shoots sub MOA. I put the ATI collapsable stock on it so grand kids could shoot .38 and .357 Mag out of it.

CVA Scouts and Hunters, Traditions G-2, and Henry Single shots are listed currently on bud's.
Old July 24, 2018, 08:30 PM   #30
TruthTellers

The H&R/NEF's are no longer made and they're really not worth buying anymore. I have an issue with one I bought used last year on gunbroker, light primer strikes. Not sure if it's the firing pin or the spring is weak, but either way I have no factory to send it to for repairs and it's not worth paying a gunsmith to fix.

Midland Arms is importing Khan single shot shotguns really cheap, but they're going to be offering rifle barrels for them. They'll be just like the Thompson Centers in that you don't have to have barrels fitted to the frame like the H&R required, so even if Midland goes out of business in 10 or 20 years, the barrels will still be available and be drop in fits.

Also, they fold up real nice

Old July 26, 2018, 05:26 AM   #31
WV_gunner

Some of the H&R guns folded too, I can’t remember the model.
Old July 26, 2018, 09:23 AM   #32
Ricklin

Garden guns

I think that design came from the folding inexpensive shotguns, often known as a garden gun.
I too thought it was pretty cool the way they folded. Neat design. I am a fan of simple and effective. There is a certain elegance to simplicity when it is well executed.