The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old May 2, 2014, 12:23 AM   #26
DoubleDeuce 1

Theo,

I too have a problem with people who choose not to get involved in a potential critical incident. In no way am I an advocate of vigilantes. But there are times when you either lead, follow or get out of the way.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:53 AM   #27
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDeuce 1
I too have a problem with people who choose not to get involved in a potential critical incident.
See, it again looks like you're advocating vigilantism. That situation I experienced earlier today was a "potential critical incident". Lots of minor confrontations are "potential critical incidents". The key is to only get involved in "likely critical incidents" or "active critical incidents", because if I got involved in every "potential critical incident" I encountered I would've probably been sued and jailed many times by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDeuce 1
But there are times when you either lead, follow or get out of the way.
I agree, and I'll decide which one to do when I'm faced with a specific situation. But you're calling into question the courage of anyone who chooses to get out of the way, and that's disgusting to me.

Instead of continuing to be offended by your sad Internet bravado, I'm going to end my participation in this thread before I get myself in trouble. Have a good evening.
Old May 2, 2014, 06:50 AM   #28
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
Posted by DoubleDeuce 1: I too have a problem with people who choose not to get involved in a potential critical incident.
If "getting involved" includes the threat or use of force, doing so could prove to be very unwise indeed unless the actor knows what is happening and what has happened that led to the situation at hand.

What looks for all the world like a "potential critical incident" could turn out to be anything--domestic violence, a plain-clothed arrest, a prank, mutual combat.....

Unless one has a factual basis for a reason to believe that the apparent victim would be lawfully justified to use force (in one state, the requirement is actual knowledge) in his or her own defense, intervention with force would be the last thing to do.

The risks are very real, and they range from financial loss to serious criminal and civil liability and to injury and death.
Old May 2, 2014, 06:51 AM   #29
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
As has been said, "all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing".
Quote:
But there are times when you either lead, follow or get out of the way.
He who lives by the cliché, dies by the cliché, right?

You seem to be complaining about a problem that isn't relevant to this discussion.
Old May 2, 2014, 08:10 AM   #30
Evan Thomas

That's more than enough bickering for one thread. Actually, it would be more than enough for several.