The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 27, 2001, 03:37 AM   #1
The Observer

Do disable person still carry Firearms.

Two months ago I met a vehicular accident, I just came from the hospital but I can walk with 2 Crutches now, perhaps 5 to 8 months I can walk without any crutches anymore. Being a gun nut I am still carrying but is it advisable to do so. Do you have any idea what is the best techniques where to conceal the gun that can be easily drawn when needed.

Thanks
Old July 27, 2001, 03:46 AM   #2
PreserveFreedom

I'd say to keep it anywhere that you can reach without compromising your balance. I think that a jacket or vest pocket sounds best for this.

Photo courtesy of Oleg Volk.

Old July 27, 2001, 06:57 AM   #3
DAVID NANCARROW

Observer-you should understand that being crippled will make you an apparent easy target. The BG's will look at you like you are an easy mark. I'm an amputee, a going away present from Uncle Sam, and have been approached twice in my life shortly after I got into my car. Thank GOD for the fertile imagination of JMB! In each case, the perp got a long look down a 45 caliber sewer pipe and decided they would look elsewhere. On days where I cannot wear my peg, a crossdraw works well. Shoulder holsters aren't very comfortable unless you are using canadian style crutches which cuff over the forearm. I would like to see some of these IDPA shoots in their never ending but fun scenario's come up with a person on crutches or wheelchair routine and see how people handle it
Old July 27, 2001, 10:49 AM   #4
The Observer

PreserveFreedom / DAVID NANCARROW:

Thank you very much for the advices. Its true, maintaining the balance is really hard. Today I start practicing drawing the pistol on a cat stance (an stance in martial arts) putting most of my weight on my strong leg. This way if ever my crutches fell down then I am still standing in an stationary position that I am well grounded.

The Jacket is good one to place the gun but most of the time, my country is in a summer environment.

Thanks again
Old July 27, 2001, 04:21 PM   #5
CWL

Observer,

Fannypacks, telephone/PDA carriers & diagonal-strapped bookbags are common in Asia, I see little problem in concealing a pistol in any of these.

I don't know about drawspeed for any of these, so I think you will have to practice practice practice.
Old July 27, 2001, 07:20 PM   #6
C.R.Sam

¿ Do disabled people carry ? Yes.

Fastest presentation for me when usin crutches seems to be to step toward the threat with offside leg, then draw from your normal rig will be relatively unhindered by the crutch on the strong side.

Shooting your own walker while practicing, or the head off of your cane is always possible but no biggie. Practice is important.

Sam....short cane for sale, cheap.
Old July 27, 2001, 11:27 PM   #7
Quartus

I saw a film clip about 20 years ago of a martial artist in a wheelchair. He used the armrests (detachable) somewhat like nuchakus. My point is that he adapted. He made use of what he had.

I wish you well in your recovery, Observer.

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old July 28, 2001, 07:48 PM   #8
The Observer

CWL,Erick, C.R.Sam: Thank you for the advices of encouragement.

captainHoek: thanks too for wishing me getting well soon. I am very much concern if I could still participate in future local IPSC competition over here. You have givin me idea of using of what I have in hand as a weapon in addition to my ccw. Why not! I can perhaps use my crutches as an Arnis weapon. I was also a former Instructor of martial arts and got my license of Arnis under the Presas Brothers, which I think these two brothers are in USA making Popularity of the FMA.
Old July 29, 2001, 05:20 PM   #9
Walosi

Observer:

I once spent 18 months in a wheelchair, and then progressed to the wrist crutches (which can be useful themselves) to a cane, which I now depend on permanently. From your Arnis background, select one or two moves which you can perform with the least risk to your balance, and practice just those until they are reflex. They could well be the means to gain another second or two to reach something more powerful. Be prepared to go down. If you are down, you are not out, but you are in trouble if you have not prepared for the possibility. A small straight blade which can be reached by either hand can be priceless if you are forced to grapple while off your feet.

Your gun may or may not be handy, so it is better to prepare yourself a "package" which fits your limitations.
Old August 3, 2001, 05:21 AM   #10
Ed Brunner

I think that being armed is more than a necessity for a disabled person. In addition to learning how to handle physical limitations, a person needs to decide on his best means of defense. A firearm is probably best because it can negate a lot of physical limitations in a defensive situation. As with any other assistance mechanism it is absolutely necessary that you train and practice.

Samuel Colt made us all equal.

UNTIL IT'S OVER!

Ed
Old August 3, 2001, 07:15 PM   #11
yorec

I find myself required to use crutches for the past three weeks and for the next several. I'm constantly wearing my fannypack. Sits in the center so the crutches won't hit it. Works well...

Remember the old saying, God made men, but Sam Colt made them equal. (or something like that) Goes for the disabled too.
Old August 4, 2001, 01:02 AM   #12
fastforty

A most common approach by attackers of the physically challenged is to blindside & topple them, whether the victim is on crutches, in a wheelchair, or using some other compensating device. I pointed that fact out to a parapelegic friend who had been carrying for years in a tricked out homemade leather device that was attached to the inside wall of his wheelchair. He got a real sick look when I advised him of this approach, and hasn't use the thing since. A backup plan & weapon are of increased need to those who are "challenged".
Old August 4, 2001, 11:37 AM   #13
yorec

All too true. Yesterday I was exiting a fastfood retaurant and a guy, who was nicely holding a door open for me, kicked my right crutch out from under me. It was an accident - he had taken his eyes off me and started backing through the doorway and just caught my crutch. Regardless, I nearly went down. It made me realize just how easy and effective this assault would be - especially on someone like me who's not yet used to this mode of locomotion.

But, I think the fannypack will still serve well. I know that if I fall, I will sprawl out on my shoulders, away from my injured leg. I also will just plan on taking hte brunt of the fall with my body, not catching myself with my hands since they sill be struggling with crutchces. If that's the case, the fanny pack in the center wil be easy to access as soon as I get free of the crutches. Then if the attack is indeed an attack, gun to the ready! It's a good thing my usual practice involved shooting from the "laying flat on your back position!"