The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 6, 2018, 01:24 AM   #1
Gary L. Griffiths

ASI Ultramax for wilderness defense?

At the end of the month, my wife and I are going to spend a week camping on our property near Toutle, WA. The good news: Blackberries will be ripe and plentiful. The bad news: Bear scat, both Black and Griz is also plentiful. I'll carry my old S&W Highway Patrolman 6" .357, but I'm thinking for things that go "Grrr" in the night, a 12-ga autoloader with mounted light would be ideal.

I've been looking at a couple of used Mossberg 930 Tacticals, but noticed that my local go-to dealer has an ASI Ultramax 12-ga with 18.5" barrel for ~$200. I've never heard of that model, but supposedly it has good reviews. Has anyone here had experience with one, reliability-wise? Also, does anyone make a magazine extension for this weapon to take it from 4+1 to 6 or 7+1?

As always, y'all's expertise is greatly appreciated!
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old July 10, 2018, 04:30 PM   #2
Siggy-06

If you're looking for a cheap shotgun, that you won't have on you person at all times(I assume you'll be in a tent?), I recommend just grabbing a Maverick 88 from mossberg for under $200. Good, solid working shotgun, that you wont mind getting beat up. I've seen a few mixed reviews on the ASI, but I would stick with American, with warranty. Bear spray is also a must, and usually a far better solution.
Old July 10, 2018, 06:12 PM   #3
wild cat mccane

Avid hiker here.

Ever notice no one on gun forums have personal experience with bears

If you want to buy a shotgun, go for it. If you aren't kidding yourself, bear spray is better.