The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 6, 2010, 11:26 AM   #1
MDS

Problems chambering .45

I was working up some loads for the .45ACP. 200gr LSWC. I made some dry loads to check chamber fit and function. What I found were, some would jam. (not go from mag into chamber) and some stove pipes. Out of 5 dry rounds 3, would set back from 1.200 to 1.97 or so. I tried lengths from 1.250,1.220 1.200, The gun is a Springfield GI. Any thoughts?
Old August 6, 2010, 01:12 PM   #2
BigJimP

wadcutters are notoriously fussy about feeding ....and so are some hollow points / so I don't reload either one ....

but what I would do, is get a couple of different brands of SWC's factory rounds / and measure them ...and set your reloads to that length and your problem will probably go away. You just don't seem to have as much leeway on the length of SWC's as you do on jacketed RN bullets ...
Old August 6, 2010, 01:30 PM   #3
kraigwy

Look at the WC bullet. You'll notice there is a straight portion toward the bottom, then starts tapering to the flat point of the top or point.

Now, remember, the ACP headspaces on the mouth of the case, not the shoulder (which it doesn't have) or the rim.

We all know that we should use a taper crimp on the case.

Now, regardless of what any manual says about OAL, seat the bullet to where the straight portion is actually a tad below the mouth of the case.

The only part of the bullet that should stick out of the case, is the taper part on up.

Look at the Military Match WC rounds. Thats the way they are loaded and I've never had problems with their feeding.

If I load my bullets as per above, I eliminate 99% + of my feeding problems.

If the pistol will feed 230 FMJ bullets, it should feed WCs if loaded properly.

The best way to get an accurate, feeding WC round is to do a chamber cast of the barrel. Now trim your brass where it matches the over all length of the of the chamber portion of the cast. (all barrels are not the same)

Now measure the mouth portion of the cast to get the diameter. Make sure when you seat you bullet, that none of it equals or is bigger then that diameter. Make sure your finished project doesn't exceed the cast diameter.

While you have the barrel out check the load, The finished bullet should easily drop into the barrel completely under its own weight.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 6, 2010, 02:10 PM   #4
WESHOOT2

not all barrels are created equal

(I have had more trouble commercially with 45 ACP Springfields than all other guns combined.)

Suggest: Make ten test ten (or less....).

200g H&G#68 LSWC (data for this shape only).
Sized case.
CCI300 or WLP (or CCI350).
5.5g W231.
OAL 1.257" (yes, 1.257". Check one CRIMPED 'dummy' to confirm chamber depth dimension first).
Crimp to .470"+.000/-.001".

Try different magazines, too.
Good luck (Springfield service is superb; there if needed).
Old August 6, 2010, 06:58 PM   #5
g.willikers

It's also possible that the entrance to the barrel chamber needs to be widened some.
For guns that have difficulty in feeding swc loads, there's a specific fix.
Check with the info at m1911.org.
Old August 6, 2010, 07:58 PM   #6
pelo801

i have found, that in both my 45's, i needed to load them like the pic i linked to below. with an OAL of 1.275-1.280. if the OAL was any shorter, then mouth of the case would hit before the shoulder of bullet. then dig in, peel back, etc and jam. not feeding. i found if i kept this OAL, the shoulder of the bullet hit first, and then fed just fine. just a thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 016.jpg (250.0 KB, 46 views)
Old August 6, 2010, 09:05 PM   #7
drail

I loaded 200 gr SWC by the thousands for IPSC for many years and always set OAL at 1.255 to 1.260 and they fed in Springfields and Colts without fail. Another thing to consider is the magazines. Most factory supplied mil-spec 1911 mags are designed to feed ball rounds only. They will choke fairly consistently with SWC rounds. There also needs to be a lightly chamfered corner on the upper bbl. hood inside corner to allow room for the bullet to clear as it transitions over the top corner of the feed ramp. Will your rounds drop into and fall back out of your bbl. when tipped down (just by gravity)? Some barrels are shipped without being finish reamed and will hang up on SWC if the chamber is just a little tight.
Old August 6, 2010, 09:29 PM   #8
Sarge

At 1.250" that bullet should feed as slick as hardball. I'd check extractor tension as a matter of protocol, barrel-to-frame bedding and then try swapping mags. 7 round Metalforms with the welded base & round follower are about as good as I've found.
Old August 6, 2010, 09:34 PM   #9
ammo.crafter

magazine

Like others have said, check the feeding vis-a-vis the magazine and overall bullet length. If the rounds will not freely move here the rounds will not properly line up with the feed ramp.
Old August 6, 2010, 11:09 PM   #10
MDS

Thanks for all the info. It really is educational. I work weird hours so I couldn't get right back. I made some at 1.200. They dropped check in the chamber of my Kimber, and functioned. Go fiqure. Is it just the gun? Tomorrow I'm gonna switch barrels and see what happens. I did check mags as suggested. Kimber, Springfield and Novack. same effect. Any longer COL and they stick up in the chamber. Oh, Kraigwy, I loaded one as suggested the COL was around 1.180 or something close to that. How would you determine powder load? I've not seen anything that short.

Last edited by MDS; August 6, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old August 6, 2010, 11:33 PM   #11
zippy13

We all seem to be pretty much on the same track…
My LSWC's (LEE .452 200 GR SWC mold) work fine in my Colt's Gold Cup but are unhappy in my buddy's Springfield Mil-Spec 1911-A1. Tweaking the crimp die down to 0.469 - 0.470" and setting the depth so the bullet's shoulder is flush with (or a little below) the case mouth solved the problem.

Last edited by zippy13; August 7, 2010 at 08:49 AM. Reason: correct pistol model
Old August 7, 2010, 07:49 AM   #12
Dr Killdeer

Initially, at 1.250 I couldn’t get through a single magazine without having a feed problem. I experimented with seating depth and I found that 1.195 was the sweet spot for my Kimber. Like magic, the problem just disappeared, never to be seen again.
Old August 7, 2010, 08:18 AM   #13
TXGunNut

I'm surprised no one mentioned polishing the feed ramp for the FTF issue. A lead bullet needs a slicker ramp than a jacketed bullet. Maybe barrels are made better these days but it's the first thing I'd do.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old August 7, 2010, 10:25 AM   #14
MDS

To me this is the fun thing about this hobby. I could load the same bullet and powder that I have used and is proven, over and over. Learning and trying new things is what's exciting for me. ( If they work)
Old August 8, 2010, 12:38 PM   #15
Southerndude

Had problem Pro Carry II

Before you jump my case. Like post I previously entered in another thread
I was trying to get input on what might becausing problem with my Pro Carry II
Kimber took it back no charge for shipping and return. I called and said it was still giving me problems.
Wanted to have them install new slide stop and magazine release. Said I would pay for them.
Found a real good non-bashing article on internet. That actually helped.
KIMBERS CUSTOMER SERVICE REP WAS OUTSTANDING
Told me not to spend money they would take back and recheck. Told me what they had done and type ammo used and how much they fired to check after they worked on gun. Figured we would try since didn't want gone for month again unless it was only solution.
After several trips to range and 5 other people firing it to make sure it wasn't me. We decided we had a magazine problem(Kimber and McCormick??), and slide stop. Also gun seems to like being slightly dirty??? I tried several different cleaners and lubes. I guess being retired military they taught me too good to keep my firearms clean??
After using only my Wilson mags and very slight stoning of material(I have tool and die experience) at lower edge of slide stop that was contacting bullet nose and pushing it up causing it to lock back on partial magazine and possible it was also battery failure to feed problem.
All 4 of us put 250+ rounds of several types of FMJ and 100+ rounds of different JHP. Stuff that wouldn't even cycle before. We had 1 failure!
Highly recommend Wilson Magazines
I like the constructive input on this thread.
And pleased with KIMBER CUSTOMER SERVICE
if you have a experience that solved a problem why not share it.