The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 31, 2010, 12:51 PM   #1
Mr.RevolverGuy

45 ACP Rainier 185gr Hollow Base ?

Is there anyone loading the 185gr Rainier hollowbase bullet. This round has proven to be tremendously accurate for me with 5.6gr of w231. I actually planned on doing a review on my website I was so pleased about it. I then found it would not cycle my Les Baer's. Below is a list of 45's it will cycle

CZ97B
S&W 1911
RIA 1911
Sig 220

I wanted to try this combination, a long time shooter someone I have a great deal of respect for told me about this load. His take on it was 185 hollow base on ignition would expand and engage the rifling better. I was trying this load for my CZ because I always felt it should shoot better. With this load it is exactly what I was looking for out of my CZ97B.

Finally here is my question, the variation of loads in the different manuals are so wide I am trying to decide if I should increase the load or use a different powder. I know the variation has to do with different components. I am leaning towards trying a different powder as with the Les Baer's this load seem like powder puff loads and sometimes the slide won't open at all. As with my other 45's the load seems a little hotter than I like so I am hesitant to go even go to 5.9gr which is the max load in the data I am using, I feel .3 grains would not make a difference.

For instance
speer 14 185gr w231 6.6-7.4

hodgdon2009 w231 5.0-5.9 this is the data I used to work up my load

Lyman49 w231 4.4-6.1

Hornady Very Old 3rd Edition w231 5.5-6.6 (I like keeping this around to compare against to see how powders change and how lawyers continue to reduce loads every year
Old July 31, 2010, 02:55 PM   #2
moxie

If that round works in all those other .45s, it ought to work in the Les Baer. That is a fairly light load but not so light that it should affect functioning. Do factory 230FMJ loads work in the Baer? What is the rating of the recoil spring? It might be on the high end, set up for heavy or +P loads. Make sure the recoil spring is not significantly different than stock. If it's over 20# that could be the problem.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old July 31, 2010, 03:53 PM   #3
Mr.RevolverGuy

I need to look at the manual it is the TRS Les Baer directly from the factory with no changes from me. It does shoot factory just fine. I have also reloaded 230gr rainier which cycled all of my 45's just fine. I may just have to leave the 185's for the CZ which is why I was making the load in the first place. The 230gr hardball load in the CZ is all over the place.

Considering hodgdon says 5.0-5.9 id don't think 5.6 is to light but obviously wrong.
Old August 2, 2010, 09:51 AM   #4
Berry's MfG

Rainier?

That would be one of our bullets. The hollow base in the 185gr has been a real accurate bullet for us.
Old August 3, 2010, 12:09 AM   #5
8ring

Hello:

I plan on using the 185 gr hollow base in my SW 625 revolvers. It's hard to find a load recipe anywhere for this bullet. I'm going to start with 5.4gr WST which is a load another wheelgunner recommended.

If you use the 185gr in your CZ 97, I suspect they will print somewhat lower than the 230gr bullets.

Chris
Old August 4, 2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Berry's MfG

8Ring - A good start with a load for the 185gr HB RN is the same data as your 230gr RN. The 185 HBRN is basically a 230gr RN with a HB, the same COL should be used for both bullets. If you work your loads up from that point I think you will find that the 185 HBRN is a very accurate bullet, it is my favorite .45 bullet.