The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 4, 2009, 09:32 PM   #1
admeyers

Ammunition questions

I would like to stock up some ammunition but I'm not sure what would be the best kind to get and where would be the best place to get it.

I don't shoot a lot but I'd like to have a good supply put away.

Can I trust the ads in a publication like Shotgun News or is it safer to buy locally - like at Walmart?

I'm looking for 22 lr, 38 special, 223 and 9mm. In each of these calibers, there are a lot of options. Would it be a good idea to buy a lot of cheaper stuff for practice/stock and a smaller amount of higher quality for when it's really needed - home defense mainly.

Thanks.
Old October 4, 2009, 09:47 PM   #2
dabigguns357

The best place to get cheap(range) ammo is going to be Wal-mart.Anything that you want to carry like h/p's here is 2 of the best websites i use the most.

www.ammunitiontogo.com
www.tds-us.com
Old October 4, 2009, 11:49 PM   #3
Bud Helms

A question this general means the OP has definitely not read our Super Ammo thread. If you don't want to read the whole thread, at least start at the end and read toward the front. That way you will read the most recent posts first.

Give it a try.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346333
Old October 5, 2009, 01:06 AM   #4
Christchild

There are LOTS of places to get ammo. WallyWorld, Cabela's, MidwayUSA, Graf&Son's, NatchezShootersSupply.com (and many others), or local gun/ammo stores. Shop around! With the "recent" increase in demand (since the election), ammo may be semi-hard to find, but ammo IS available in most places.

If You'd like to stock up, check online for local GunShows, and IF the prices aren't outrageous, get it there. If they are, keep shopping around.

WallyWorld is OK, if You're buying in bulk SOMETIMES, but it's rare. Also, check Academy and Gander Mountain if You have one locally. These are the "franchise" retailers and usually have a semi-decent stock, but You'll likely pay a premium price.

Do some homework. It'll pay off.

Tags
ammunition