The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 4, 2016, 11:49 AM   #51
Ibmikey

This is a bit funny but the thread is ten years old, since that time Walther has taken over production of the PPK once again and there are several other micro 9mm pistols on the market that would need an evaluation with the PPK and Bersa ....my opinion, and only my opinion is for protection I would carry my Sig P 938 over my PPK and Bersa ( my Bersa is in .22 LR and very unreliable). Of course other pistols are viable today that were not made when this post began, the S&W Shield is my hands down favorite for a pocket pistol in 9mm DAO. Somwhere above a statement was made that the person would not trust his life to a cheaply made pistol and i would add that even an expensive pistol must be totally reliable.
Old August 4, 2016, 02:28 PM   #52
zincwarrior

Exactly. I will not tolerate a CC pistol that fails with good ammunition.

I will note that the Bersa she had was quite accurate for its size.
Old August 4, 2016, 09:07 PM   #53
qwiksdraw

Quote:
...( my Bersa is in .22 LR and very unreliable)...
The BT22 is finicky when it comes to ammo. If you use 40 grn copper plated rounds rated at 1200 fps, you will find the BT22 to be reliable and accurate.

That is not a flaw, it's designed that way, The slide is kind of heavy which requires a more potent round to cycle the slide.

Hope you find this helpful.
Old August 5, 2016, 01:03 AM   #54
Ibmikey

Quiksdraw, Nope high velocity mini mags, Winchester and Federal are better but still have failures to cycle, the Texas Bersa repair center did make it better but not by much. I have a Sig 938 conversion kit that eats about everything without a miss, Beretta 948, a couple of Llama .22's and SW M&P compact all cycle with the same ammo. The Bersa is just flawed somewhere but when it shoots it is a very accurate and fun.
Old August 5, 2016, 01:27 AM   #55
Ignition Override

David t.G:
I also enjoyed shooting the Bersa Thunder (a rental) much more. Interesting comparisons.
As a guy fairly new to handguns, I bought a very attractive "Made in W. Ger." PPK/S less than two years ago. With a new, stronger Wolff spring and new mag. it became very reliable.

Unfortunately, shooting it seemed very similar to using the Polish P-64 carried by two friends. The PPK/S' heavy DA trigger pull and recoil were a real disappointment.
Quickly switched to Bulgy/EG Makarovs (plus the Russ. .380 version) and--disregarding the glamour of the PPK/S--have enjoyed shooting them much more. Kept all four Maks and never looked back. No issues----at all.

PeterGreg: I also bought the Sig 232. Excellent gun.

Last edited by Ignition Override; August 5, 2016 at 01:36 AM.
Old August 5, 2016, 02:11 AM   #56
michael t

I got my 1st Bersa Thunder in 2003 . as a practice pistol for my PPK/s . Walther hurts my hand by 35 to 40 rounds . Bersa I could do a 100 easy.
Well today I own Bersachat.com largest Bersa board on internet Have a 2nd thunder picked up 2011 . Have been going to the NRA conventions last several years . A guest of importer and help out at the Eagle booth.
I bought 2 of the 9mm UC pro pistols Both are now owned by other members of family .

UBGholsters got his start on Bersa board . No one was making a holster and Nate stepped up and started . Now has a going company . I carry my Bersa IWB and use his holsters for all my needs.

At time I am typing this BC has Threads: 31,172 Posts: 374,006 Members: 8,113

I carry my Bersa with Corbon DPX . I still have my old PPK/s But Bersa get more trigger time.

Come visit http://bersachat.com

If you have a 1911 http://metroarms1911forum.com have sections for most brands of 1911 also.
We have a warranty smith as a member to help you If you have a problem with your Bersa or metroarms
Old August 5, 2016, 07:23 AM   #57
ttarp

Using a .22 as a standard for reliability is bound to leave you disappointed, I've found my BT-22 will eat anything as long as I only load 5 rounds in the magazine, and only mini mags with a full magazine.

At any rate, the BERSA .380 is a very nice pistol for the cost, just be aware of its quirks and limitations. Biggest complaint I hear is folks wearing out the slide stop using it as a release, its a known weak part, don't abuse it.
Old August 7, 2016, 12:41 AM   #58
hemiram

I've shot a friend's Bersa a few times, seems like a decent gun. My go to .380 is my Beretta 84, or my Browning BDA 380, both of which are the absolute best .380's ever made, IMHO. You can get decent used ones on Gunbroker and other auction sites for a reasonable price. The Bersa is a bargain, and if you really have to have a new gun, I would take it over a Walther, both for reliability and for value. My Interarms Walther PPk/S was, well, pretty sad, and soon gone.
Old August 7, 2016, 10:50 AM   #59
FairWarning

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadchucker
Interesting revival of a five-year-old thread.
.....and it's still providing entertainment 4 years after that, which is the point of this forum.

The PPK/S is such a sexy and high quality gun, and of course it doesn't hurt that it's the gun of Bond. But it hasn't really evolved much over many decades, and there are better functional choices now. Doesn't mean it isn't something want badly, just moves it down the priority ladder.
Old August 7, 2016, 12:14 PM   #60
jstert

My Review: Walther PPK/S vs. Bersa Thunder 380

i was happy with my bersa 380 until last week the safety lever simply broke off after 30 rounds. it seems to be a problem per an internet search. sucks because i will fix it and sell it, and still have a stock of 380 ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jstert; August 7, 2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old August 7, 2016, 03:14 PM   #61
michael t

Call Eagle and ask them to send you a new safety. Not that hard to install. I just came in little while from shooting mine . Not one problem just shoots and keeps on as long as you got ammo .Mine made 2003 .
Remember Bersa are sold world wide So one is bound to have a problem now and then. Just ,never hear. About the 1000's the just keep working .

Right now Bersa Factory is back ordered . They can't make them fast enough .