The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 4, 2009, 09:37 PM   #1
ah141nj

lee safety prime problem

Hi Guys,
Need some help. Last 2 nights using my Lee CTP, I have had intermittent problems with the safety prime. It puts the primer in sideways. Tonight I dremeled the primer arm. It still happened 2 times after. What is causing it? Has this happened to anyone else?

There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."
-- Charlton Heston, 15 Sep 1997
Old May 4, 2009, 11:21 PM   #2
teeroux

Never had that problem. I have a few questions though.

Are you using the right primers for the case?

Are you using the right primeing arm for the primer?

Is the safety prime putting the primers in straight and are they turn on seating?
Old May 5, 2009, 08:50 AM   #3
CBP

Is the primer sitting correctly in the cup when you load it with the safety prime? If it is sitting correctly in the cup, when you start to press the primer into the case it should go in correctly. Without seeing how you are working the press, its difficult to determine where the problem is occurring. Try working the press without a case in the shell holder and make sure the primer cup comes correctly up through the center of the shell holder. If the metal ring on the outside of the primer arm is catching the shell holder, I could see where it might twist and seat the primer in sideways. If that is the case, the problem probably is with the shell holder.
Old May 5, 2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Dingoboyx

Thats why I like my

Lee auto prime (hand primer) with the lid on properly and all the primers in the tray up the right way & with the correct shell holder, you cant go wrong. It's fast too, you can sit and watch the tube while you prime cases

Going by your pics, to get the primer that crooked, they must be in the primer plunger on their side to start with? Just IMO....

Get a hand held primer tool is your best bet, IMO, I have a similar setup on my press, but never even tried it.... I got my Lee Auto prime the day I got my press (lee 3 hole turret) on reccomendation from the gunshop dude.... he was right I reckon
Old May 5, 2009, 01:02 PM   #5
benzuncle

I'm taking a stab here: perhaps the the top of the primer is getting snagged when the primer arm is entering the ram as it comes down. Try putting your index finger under the primer arm and easing it up and forward into the ram before the ram gets all of the way down. This will put the primer arm into the ram and in place to seat the primer. I use my finger in this manner all of the time. I had a primer turn on me once, about 5000 rounds ago. Easy fix. I bet my wife a dollar she couldn't knock that primer out with a hammer and punch - outside!
Old May 5, 2009, 02:10 PM   #6
Hook686

What do you mean by 'dremeled the primer arm' ?

The only time this ever happened with me was when I changed from reloading .44 magnum to loading .357 magnum and forgot to change the primer cup from Large Pistol to Small Pistol.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old May 5, 2009, 07:58 PM   #7
ah141nj

Quote:
Never had that problem. I have a few questions though.

Are you using the right primers for the case?

Are you using the right primeing arm for the primer?

Is the safety prime putting the primers in straight and are they turn on seating?
yes

yes

yes, on the downstroke
There's no such thing as a good gun. There's no such thing as a bad gun. A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys."
Old May 5, 2009, 08:02 PM   #8
ah141nj

Quote:
Is the primer sitting correctly in the cup when you load it with the safety prime? If it is sitting correctly in the cup, when you start to press the primer into the case it should go in correctly. Without seeing how you are working the press, its difficult to determine where the problem is occurring. Try working the press without a case in the shell holder and make sure the primer cup comes correctly up through the center of the shell holder. If the metal ring on the outside of the primer arm is catching the shell holder, I could see where it might twist and seat the primer in sideways. If that is the case, the problem probably is with the shell holder.
It is always in the cup correctly to start with.

I am pushing lightly with my left thumb.

Without a case in the shellholder, somestimes the primer cup does get stuck. It doesnt always drop down. I polished the bottom of the shellholder with my dremel last night. Tonight I cleaned the bottom of the feeder with brake cleaner. During 50 loads, I got 2 primers sideways.
Old May 5, 2009, 08:04 PM   #9
ah141nj

Quote:
What do you mean by 'dremeled the primer arm' ?
Cleaned, debured & polished the cup, the sides & bottom of the arm
Old May 6, 2009, 07:58 AM   #10
CBP

Some people, myself included, had problems with the primer arm not functioning properly on their Lee Classic Turret Press. The problem was the primer arm would catch on the shell holder as the ram was being lowered (handle pushed up). This is the situation benzuncle describes. I glued a toothpick in the "saddle" where the primer arms contacts the base. Other people have used hot glue, etc. The primer arm has to be completely vertical before it enters the shell holder. Possibly this is the culprit. Try working the press a few more times and see if anything catches when lowering the ram all the way, then put your finger under the primer arm when lowering it and see if it works smoother.
Old May 6, 2009, 08:13 PM   #11
benzuncle

Bravo CBP, that's what I tried to explain. I am content using my finger but others had added items to do just what you have explained. I don't figure this is a big deal. I've built 5000+ rounds since encountering this problem and still manage 200 rounds per hour whenever I choose. BTW: this only happens when I use the large pistol primer arm. When I'm loading 357Sig and 380ACP with the small pistol primer, it works "as advertised".