The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 11, 2002, 10:01 PM   #1
PropellerHead

Left-Handed defense from Driver's Seat

I just read the thread about the incident with the van blocked in the alley and it got me thinking. (this is a good thing, really...)

I drive a Jeep Wrangler with a soft top, so I don't have a lot of physical protection while in my vehicle. I'm also a southpaw and so my holster is pretty well stuck between me and the seat when I'm sitting in the driver's seat. In the event of needing to draw while seated, even if I could get to my gun, my strong hand is better suited to point out the passenger window than the driver's window.

Have any other 'sinister' TFL members thought this one through? I could mount a holster in the vehicle to place the pistol in while driving, but there are some disadvantages to that. I wouldn't have much use with a cross-draw holster for my right hand except when driving so I'd prefer not to go that route.

Hmmmm. I'm a little perplexed.

Anyone have any suggestion or thoughts?

Thanks,

PropellerHead
Old February 12, 2002, 02:01 AM   #2
C.R.Sam

1. You should practice with your other hand......a lot.
2. Crossdraw does work well in a vehicle.
3. Loose gun under your thigh tends to end up on the floor all too often. See Miami shootout etc etc.

Sam
Old February 13, 2002, 04:40 PM   #3
Logistar

I kinda agree with Sam. I would think that it would rather difficult to draw with your left side against the car door. If you are buckled in, I really see that being a problem for a lefty (and now *I* realize that I might have a problem on the passenger side!).

Practicing with the other hand might be a good idea. I DO practice with my other hand but I do NOT practice it often enough. I will start now. Thanks for pointing that out. I had never thought about it.

Logistar
Old February 13, 2002, 05:11 PM   #4
KSFreeman

"Arrr, lash that cannon down, swabbie." Guns belong in holsters otherwise you get MCFs like the Fibbies in Miami (as Sam I am noted).

Best weapon is your vehicle. However, if you cannot run away and must go swim with the sharks, one can go one handed. I'm a righty (so I'm not in my right mind) so I can do the following: draw with the back up on the port side for quick reaction shot as/or I can go for the primary pistol and go to C.A.R. position (left) and shoot while seated. If a lefty you can go to C.A.R. even quicker or try it one handed if the angle is greater.

Inside the car, it's real tricky and it will get real rowdy. This takes time to smooth the presentation especially around the steering wheel and belt. Pro training is highly advisable. IMHO, run away!
Old February 14, 2002, 12:33 PM   #5
KSFreeman

Erick, maybe so, but just reinforces the logic behind carrying multiple weapons. You didn't like my pirate? Arrrr.