The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 7, 2019, 08:09 AM   #101
agtman

Very informative thread. And thanks for the update!
Old June 7, 2019, 02:34 PM   #102
Sevens

Also piling on, terrific reading in this thread. I've owned a handful of Glocks, only one that I didn't dislike. My circa-2008 MML-prefix Glock 29 is a gun that I love.

Your thread here is a great experience and I love that you've shared it. I've always enjoyed discussions that include strict round counts rather than the absolutely vague "oh tons of ammo over the years..." that could literally mean 500-1000 rounds.
Old June 8, 2019, 03:59 AM   #103
mr bolo

still using your original GLOCK OEM Firing pin? I was thinking of picking up a spare, but I dont have a high round count, and would never shoot anywhere near that much ammo in my life

one spare firing pin wouldnt hurt, plus all my other 9mm Glocks use the same FP

or replace the old firing pin when the pistol gets an overhaul by the factory whether it needs one or not.
Old June 8, 2019, 08:37 AM   #104
AK103K

It still had the original FP in the gun when I sent it off. They replaced it.

Now that you mention it, I do sorta remember talking about this somewhere and took some pictures of one, and it probably was from this gun. Dont remember offhand exactly what that conversation was about, but there was some chipping going on on the tip.

Ill have to look around and see if I can find that thread and if I find it, Ill post it up.

Ill also look at my one 26, as its the one with the next highest round count.

ETA: I just checked the 26, and it looks like it might have a small nick out of the tip too. If I get a chance, Ill pull it apart and try and get some pics.
Old June 8, 2019, 10:18 AM   #105
davidsog

Quote:
I've always enjoyed discussions that include strict round counts rather than the absolutely vague "oh tons of ammo over the years..." that could literally mean 500-1000 rounds.
Absolutely paramount. I saw weapons continue to function very well with 60,000 round plus in them (fully automatic too...which is a much tougher milestone for reliability than a semi-auto pistol) and saw the same design break with less than 100 rounds. A small sample size is exciting but insignificant as is replacement of broken parts while continuing to tote reliability.

Nice thread and makes me feel good inside!!
Old June 8, 2019, 10:26 AM   #106
pete2

I've had my Glock 19 for about a year, replaced the trigger bar assy twice, the connector twice and the block that holds the connector already. fired about 200 rounds thru it. They ain't all "perfection".
Old June 8, 2019, 10:41 AM   #107
mr bolo

Quote:
I've had my Glock 19 for about a year, replaced the trigger bar assy twice, the connector twice and the block that holds the connector already. fired about 200 rounds thru it. They ain't all "perfection".
replaced the trigger assembly twice, and the ejector assembly after only 200 rds? sounds like you got a "lemon" ?

most people fire 200 rds in the first range session / test fire

I never heard of those parts failing so soon?
Old June 8, 2019, 10:56 AM   #108
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsog View Post
Absolutely paramount. I saw weapons continue to function very well with 60,000 round plus in them (fully automatic too...which is a much tougher milestone for reliability than a semi-auto pistol) and saw the same design break with less than 100 rounds. A small sample size is exciting but insignificant as is replacement of broken parts while continuing to tote reliability.

True. Makes me think of those P365s. Some seem to go many thousands, others break a lot sooner. Weird how QC can vary so much. Hard to get a good handle on true reliability for a design without many samples.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old June 8, 2019, 11:17 AM   #109
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsog View Post

If you use them, things break. They are no different than anything else. I had an MP5, and it was shot pretty much every week for about 25 years. In all that time, it broke one roller retaining plate, and was still working fine until I took it apart to clean it and the roller fell out. Like the trigger springs on the Glocks, another $3 part and 5-minute fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2 View Post
Hey, it happens, nothing is perfect. They all have lemons once in a while. I can attest to that, as Ive had my share across the different brands.

My first Glock, a Gen 1 17 I bought new back in the mid 80's, was nothing but trouble and went back to Glock three times, and they never did get it figured out. That experience drove me away from them for a long time.

Nowadays, I have a bunch of them, new and used, and havent had any problems. This 17 that just came back I really dont count, as its well beyond what most would be subject to.

You hear all sorts of things about problems people seem to have with them, and I have to wonder sometimes if it is the gun or the people.

I just bought a "used" 17 from a local shop I deal with all the time. The owner said it was a month old (he sold it new), had already gone back to Glock, because the boy who bought it, kept getting brass to the face all the time. The repair ticket was with it, and Glock had replaced all the parts in the slide, test fired it, and sent it back. He picked it up and brought it back the next day, still getting brass to the face, and traded it off for something else.

I bought it (got a great deal on it too), and as of now, it has a little over 1000 rounds through it (it replaced the one I sent in for practice) and not one piece of brass anywhere near my head. I dont think the gun was the problem.

I think a lot of the other issues you hear about, are people "improving" them, with all the (often questionable) aftermarket add on stuff. The only thing I do to mine, part wise, if they dont come with them, is adding a set of three dot night sights.

That, and with the Gen 3's, Ill stipple the grips (unless they are RTF2). The Gen 4's and 5's arent too bad, I just need something a bit more aggressive than what the 3's have.

Other than that, the stock factory is fine. If I get a good deal on one thats been improved (I picked up a couple like that), I replace those parts with factory.
Old June 8, 2019, 02:46 PM   #110
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...there was some chipping going on on the tip.
Indeed. That, IMO, definitely warrants replacement.
Quote:
That's definitely a problem. None of those parts should need replacement until many thousands of rounds have been fired.

Frankly, I'd be in favor of sending it back to the manufacturer if it needed that many parts replacements before it got through 4 boxes of ammunition.

What kind of problems were you having with the gun?
Old June 8, 2019, 06:32 PM   #111
pete2

The parts on my 19 didn't fail, they weren't any good to start with. This pistol is a real let down so far. Had to buy taller rear sights for it. I guess I'm blessed, I didn't shoot myself in the foot with it.
Needless to say, I'm not real impressed with it so far. I guess you get what you pay for.
Old June 8, 2019, 07:07 PM   #112
AK103K

Quote:
The parts on my 19 didn't fail, they weren't any good to start with. This pistol is a real let down so far. Had to buy taller rear sights for it. I guess I'm blessed, I didn't shoot myself in the foot with it.
Needless to say, I'm not real impressed with it so far. I guess you get what you pay for.
Overall, Id say I got more than my monies worth out of mine.

Just the savings in the cost of mags alone, compared to some others Ive owned, is at least another Glock of your choice.

Just out of curiosity, did you buy your gun new or used?

Either way, if youre having that much trouble, Id definitely send it back.

Unless the gun came with factory night sights, Ive replaced the factory plastic with either factory three dot night sights or Meprolights. The factory and Mepro's look to be suspiciously the same too.

Even so, I still shot all the guns with the factory plastic sights until the night sights showed up, and they were all right on vertically for me. I normally have to drift the sight to the right with all of them for horizontal zero. Just the way I shoot them I guess.

I buy the night sights as a set, and the standard set also seems to be right on for vertical zero.
Old June 8, 2019, 07:55 PM   #113
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The parts on my 19 didn't fail, they weren't any good to start with.
What kind of problems were you having with the gun?
Old June 9, 2019, 02:24 AM   #114
pete2

Gritty grinding trigger pull. Then a "gritty Hitch" just before let off. The Glock armorer installed the trigger assy. out of the store's display pistol and that worked in my pistol. It's now a mushy but smooth pull. Long, smooth pull I can handle, grinding, jerking pull just doesn't work for me.
Old June 9, 2019, 07:12 AM   #115
AK103K

Quote:
Gritty grinding trigger pull. Then a "gritty Hitch" just before let off. The Glock armorer installed the trigger assy. out of the store's display pistol and that worked in my pistol. It's now a mushy but smooth pull. Long, smooth pull I can handle, grinding, jerking pull just doesn't work for me.
So its fixed then?

You still didn't say whether the gun was new or used. Were the trigger parts original, or did someone try to "improve" it?

Curious too, what are you comparing the trigger to? I shoot all types of guns and trigger types, and never found a Glocks trigger to be bad, or worse than anything else when compared to any of the others.

Some triggers are a bit different than others, especially if you are only used to a specific type, but they generally arent all that different across the board.

One thing Ive noticed about triggers and people bitching about them is, many really dont have much experience with anything other than what they have and are accustomed to. Give them something new or different, and the whining and excuses often begin, especially at the beginning. Any problems with performance, "have" to be the guns fault, and never the shooters.

If you spend some quality time with most things, all the so-called "negatives" usually just seem to magically melt away as you gain experience with them.

Personally, Ive always looked at tuned or worked on triggers as being a crutch (for the majority that insist on them), and actually a limiting factor in your shooting, in the big picture anyway.

Those who can benefit from, and wring those hair-splitting scores out of things because the trigger has been tuned, are generally WAY above most pay grades when it comes to skill levels.

If the trigger, or even the gun as a whole, is a worry or focus in your shooting, then youre focusing on the wrong things while you shoot.
Old June 10, 2019, 07:13 AM   #116
krimmie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
One thing Ive noticed about triggers and people bitching about them is, many really dont have much experience with anything other than what they have and are accustomed to. Give them something new or different, and the whining and excuses often begin, especially at the beginning. Any problems with performance, "have" to be the guns fault, and never the shooters.

If you spend some quality time with most things, all the so-called "negatives" usually just seem to magically melt away as you gain experience with them.

Personally, Ive always looked at tuned or worked on triggers as being a crutch (for the majority that insist on them), and actually a limiting factor in your shooting, in the big picture anyway.

Those who can benefit from, and wring those hair-splitting scores out of things because the trigger has been tuned, are generally WAY above most pay grades when it comes to skill levels.

If the trigger, or even the gun as a whole, is a worry or focus in your shooting, then youre focusing on the wrong things while you shoot.

Absolutely!
Old June 10, 2019, 09:56 AM   #117
pete2

The pistol was brand new in the box 19 Gen 5. I wasn't comparing the trigger pull to anything else. Even Ruger triggers are very good compared to the Glock. Sorry Glock guys, this gun's been terrible from the get go. I am looking forward to shooting it now that it's smooth. I shoot revolvers as well as an LC9 so a long pull doesn't bother me. I will add that I've shot other Glock pistols, none compare with the one I bought.
Old June 10, 2019, 10:22 AM   #118
Carmady

Quote:
The pistol was brand new in the box 19 Gen 5.
Did you buy it on the internet?
Old June 10, 2019, 02:01 PM   #119
AK103K

Quote:
The pistol was brand new in the box 19 Gen 5. I wasn't comparing the trigger pull to anything else. Even Ruger triggers are very good compared to the Glock. Sorry Glock guys, this gun's been terrible from the get go. I am looking forward to shooting it now that it's smooth. I shoot revolvers as well as an LC9 so a long pull doesn't bother me. I will add that I've shot other Glock pistols, none compare with the one I bought.
You must be comparing it to something. Sounds like Rugers.

When you say you shoot revolvers, how are you shooting them? SA, DA, or DAO? (theres a clue in there, thats why I ask. )

If its now "fixed", you should be good to go, right?

If I were to compare triggers "critically" (I rarely do), the Rugers would normally be at the bottom of the list compared to most other things, and that includes Glocks.

In my lifetime, Ive only had 4 triggers worked on, because they were basically unshootable. Three were Ruger Blackhawks (they had other issues as well), and the other, a 1911 "kit gun". I did have a CZ70 that took two fingers to pull its DA trigger, but it wasnt worth the effort to try and correct.

And Im not the least bit trigger phobic, so if Im bitching about them, you can bet they were bad.

I have, or have had, Glocks of every generation. Just recently picked up my firt Gen 5 this past month.

Other than that trigger trouble I had back in the 80's with that first Gen 1 17, and somewhere around 25 Glocks later, I have yet to have a bad, or even, not so good trigger out of the bunch, and I cant say that one was better or worse than another.

Im guessing youre not a Glock guy, and just dont have much time with it, to have it down yet.

As Ive said previously, generally, the more time and experience with something, the better "it" seems to get.

And I really dont think anything is changing with the gun in that learning experience either. The gun has no ego.

At least none of mine do.
Old June 10, 2019, 03:34 PM   #120
vba

AK103K;

Well said and thank you!
Old June 11, 2019, 07:07 AM   #121
USNRet93

Quote:
Never returned a gun if it was defective, but that not an option or sending it to Glock?

"Tools not Trophies”
Old June 11, 2019, 05:50 PM   #122
davidsog

Quote:
That is not entirely true. There is a huge difference and variation among triggers and GLOCK's are not among the best.

That is why we sent the Glock 21's back to Glock after taking them on one tour. We tried them on the range and in combat.
Old June 11, 2019, 06:30 PM   #123
AK103K

Comapred to what?

I have Glocks, SIG's, Berettas, Colts and a couple of generic 1911's, S&W revolvers, to name a few, all stock triggers, and I really see little if any difference between any of them.
Old June 11, 2019, 06:59 PM   #124
precision_shooter

“Best” is so subjective that this could be debated till the end of time. As far as striker fired DAO guns go, Glock, to me, is pretty near of not at the top spot. Especially for ease of modifying the pull if you don’t like it stock... There is a reason that Glock is the bar by which all other striker fired guns that have come to be have been measured against...
I’m no Glock snob as I do own others but I still prefer the Glocks to any of the others.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old June 11, 2019, 07:20 PM   #125
davidsog

Quote:
I really see little if any difference between any of them.
Ok....well some folks can read forward and one direction and others see everything backward in dyslexia.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...ghts/index.htm

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...-good-trigger/

https://www.guns.com/news/review/wha...iggers-quality

Quote:
After much thought, it occurred to me that the most folks are simply unschooled on what makes a good trigger, and why anyone should want one.
https://www.grantcunningham.com/2006...-good-trigger/
Closed Thread