The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 11, 2005, 11:43 AM   #1
tjhands

Another Fox Spray question.....

I'm looking to buy some of this stuff. I want a size that will make the best compromise of a) small enough to fit in jeans pocket, and b) contains enough product to really douse an attacker good.

Is the 2oz can too big for comfortable carry in pocket? I've never seen one in person and can't tell the size by the picture.

***Also! What type of top do I want? The flip-top or the Cop-Top? What the heck is "Cop-Top" anyway? Did a search on it but found nothing. Thanks.
Old March 12, 2005, 12:21 AM   #2
djw6611

The 2oz is the minimum size I would carry, those little keychain ones arnt very useful.

If your just going to put it in your pocket I would recommend the flip-top to prevent accidental discharge. The "cop-top" is basically just an open-top with no safety system to keep you from pressing the button by accident (but its easier to use in a stressful situation). You can see the differance here:

http://www.foxlabs.net/Products.html

The only other thing you have to consider is to get a stream or fog pattern. Stream is best in windy condition and has better distance, fog is good because you dont have to aim as well to get a hit but the spray can blow back into your face under windy conditions.

I would suggest you get a holster anyways rather than pocket carry. You can find a good one for the foxlabs 2oz cans here:

http://www.comp-tac.com

And I would get the cop-top fog pattern here:

http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/sprays.htm

(buy two cans, use one to practice with and become familiar with the spray pattern)
Old March 13, 2005, 05:56 PM   #3
Greybeard

In agreement with that above about 2 ounce version(s). It is, however, the same diameter as 4-ouncer. Either is a pretty good size object for pocket carry, in my (semi-tight) jeans pockets anyway ...

For extended range, I recently got a "stream" flip-top (with holster) for my daughter. And gave her instuctions that she needs to plan on hosing 'em in such fashion as to be sure and get it in eyes ...
Old March 13, 2005, 06:04 PM   #4
DT Guy

It's not just that the smaller units don't have as much spray---they don't shoot far enough to hose from a reasonable distance. The 2 Oz. is a minimum.

(BTW-teach your daughter that the place to have it is IN HER HAND when she's walking to her car, etc...too many girls bury it in a purse.)

Larry
(Who's sprayed 150+ people in training and sport)

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old March 13, 2005, 06:32 PM   #5
David Blinder

The 2oz is 4" tall and 1 3/8" across. I've never had a problem carrying it in jeans FWIW. Without any wind, the 2oz range is 10-12 feet while the 11gr key chain range is 6-8 feet.
Old March 14, 2005, 01:34 AM   #6
djw6611

Another good tip I've heard, especially for females:

when you get into a confrontation.........EMPTY THE CAN

1) This insures you've hit them with enough spray to stop them
2) (most important) if during the struggle the attacker gets a hold of the can you dont want there to be anything left for them to spray you with.
Old March 14, 2005, 09:37 AM   #7
tjhands

Thanks guys. Got a couple cans of 2oz fog with flip-tops on the way. Appreciate the help.