The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 12, 2001, 02:49 AM   #1
ZipTieNinja

Could You Tell Me The Age.....

Could you tell me the age of a pistol a family member owns. Its a Colt, Official Police, 38 special. Its got a four inch bbl, 6 shot, and double action. Checkered wood grips, with the golden Colt logo on each one, and a single screw holding them to the frame. It also has the Colt horse ingraved on the frame half under the top of the grips, and half visable.

I have no idea where it came from or what the history is. It was given to this family member by a friend of theirs, years ago, while in the music scene... It shoots very good BTW, and is very accurate as well. As I said, I do not know the history of the gun, or how this unknown (to me anyway) gun giver came to own it, and somthing tells me I don't want to know.

Sorry for being so defensive about it, but I don't want anyone getting in trouble if it possible to get in trouble over it.
I'll try to answer any questions about it I can, but I do not know much about revolvers. I'll tell ya anything I can but the serial number.
Old December 12, 2001, 07:45 AM   #2
bfoster

To date the revolver the first three numbers of the s/n are needed. You need not provide the complete serial, something like 432,xxx will do.

Bob
Old December 12, 2001, 10:38 PM   #3
ZipTieNinja

Ahh....

The fist three I can do... They are 622xxx Thats about all I can do. I do not know much about revolvers. I am trying to get a holster for this gun, and the guy at the leather shop said that he had a book on them, and also took the first three numbers. He made it clear that he was going to find out how much it was worth.... Think he might try to buy the thing! Not for sale of course. Why is it that people stick a price tag on everything....

Anyway, is there any resource online that I can use to research the age or history of firearms? How do you all do it? Thanks for the help.
Old December 13, 2001, 01:55 PM   #4
Steven Mace

ZipTieNinja, the Colt Official Police model you've described was made in 1938. In excellent condition it could be worth about $400-$525. A slight premium might be added for one with a nickel finish. The Official Police model was manufactured from 1927 until about 1969 when it became the Official Police MkIII model, made from about 1969-1975. The original calber offerings were .32-20 WCF, .38-200, .41 Long, .38 Special, and .22 LR. Barrel lengths could be 2", 4", 5", or 6". After 1947 calibers were limited to .22 LR & .38 Special. The MkIII version was only offered in .38 Special. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

P.S. - The 1932 Colt catalog advertised the Official Police model with a $30.00 list price.
Old December 13, 2001, 10:06 PM   #5
ZipTieNinja

Wow, that old! Thank you. I was thinking in the 60's.... It is not mint, and it is still being used little now and then. I would say 85% new condition. The frame has no bluing just behind the cylinder release, and on the sides of the hammer. The bluing is thin on the rest of the frame, but not worn off. I have shot it a few times myself, and it shoots a lot better than I thought a four inch bbl would. Better groups than my 5 inch Beretta 96, which fires a .40 S&W, at least on the first try.... By berreta is new and I am still geting used to it.

Thank you once again, this was a question that had been around for a while. Take care, shoot safe.