The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old June 3, 2015, 08:21 PM   #26
FITASC

Sorry, but his choice is something that can really do damage to us in 2016......all those soccer moms and similar we are trying to convince that we are sane do not need this in-your-face type of action.........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 3, 2015, 08:51 PM   #27
bandaid1

I've never understood why open carry made so many Firearm rights people uncomfortable. Some may think concealed carry is the only way to go, and I'm all for concealed carry as long as its free. I'm not paying for a right that was already paid for in American blood. If I have to pay for it and ask permission, then it's a privilege, not a right.

If everyone see's them, everywhere they go, they become common. I get why people want to hide them, but on some level, hidden things become taboo things.

Hooyah
Old June 3, 2015, 08:55 PM   #28
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
How do you think these same people would of acted back in the wild west era. Everybody carried a gun openly back in those days and nobody questioned that or got scarred unless it was a known outlaw with his picture up outside the bar
That's not actually true. Many cities and towns passed laws against carry. Life wasn't TV.

Quote:
I've never understood why open carry made so many Firearm rights people uncomfortable
That's because killers openly carry long arms into theaters, parliaments, churches, airports and colleges and kill people.

Are you Mr. Holmes or a defender of the RKBA strolling into the showing of Batman?
Old June 3, 2015, 09:14 PM   #29
kilimanjaro

This idiot is a lead story in the Huffington Post today. Want to guess how many folks will agree with their take on it, vs. how many will take the purist RKBA position?

There's a reason most firms, agencies, and VIPs have public relations people, because image is just as important as substance.
Old June 3, 2015, 09:45 PM   #30
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
I get why people want to hide them, but on some level, hidden things become taboo things.
Go down the street with no pants? I think the issue is well explained.
Old June 3, 2015, 09:47 PM   #31
Tackleberry1

OC of long guns is not my cup of tea but I have been watching this issue since It went viral post Newtown and in the beginning there were several false arrest by Officers who did not understand the difference between legal and illegal. The result was zero conviction that I'm aware of several large settlements paid out by municipalities.

Personally, I wouldn't do what he did but the result speaks volumes about how far LEO understanding of Open Carry has come in a few short years, and this is a good thing for liberty.

I also think the guys who come off as "rude" to LEO's serve a purpose completely unrelated to 2A but fundamentally important to 4A rights. I see no reason to be rude to a Cop unless he's demanding ID without RAS and threatening arrest for "interfering"... But

When the only reason for the stop is the perfectly legal possession of a fire arm, then there is no reason for LEO's to push the issue. Sure they can ask for ID, and many OC folks are happy to hand it over, but it's the ones who do not who are truly exercising ALL of thier rights and believe it or not, modifying what I believe to be illegal police conduct.
Old June 3, 2015, 10:42 PM   #32
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungiex88
...How do you think these same people would of acted back in the wild west era....
That was then and this is now. All sorts of things have changed with the times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungiex88
...But the point is if more people open carried everywhere they could or concealed I think more of those people that think those pieces of iron everybody is carrying might not be so scary....
So how about some actual evidence to support that. On the other hand we have good reasons to conclude, based on history, that if enough people do something that's legal but they do it in a way that enough other people find obnoxious, the activity probably won't stay legal for long.
  • There are plenty of examples of rights being lost because enough folks didn't like the ways in which they were being exercised. Over the years, in many communities, we have seen many zoning and other laws adopted restricting how you can use your own property. In some places you may not work on your car in your own driveway in view of the public street. In some places you must get design approval of remodeling or landscaping visible to the public. In some communities, you may not park or store large vehicles like boats on trailers or RVs on your property so as to be visible to the public. These sorts of restrictions have in large part been the result of strong enough public sentiment that some things previously lawfully done by private parties on their own land were unseemly or unattractive.

• In California in 1967, because some folks with whom much of the public lacked sympathy legally carried loaded guns openly in public, loaded open carry was made illegal.

• And because demonstrations in California in which folks legally carrying unloaded handguns openly in public made too many other people too uncomfortable, the open carrying of unloaded guns in public was made illegal, effective 1 January 2012, in California.

There are some things that people some places won't accept.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old June 4, 2015, 07:21 AM   #33
zincwarrior

Quote:
To me, carrying a gun is only about one thing, self defense, period, end of story. If someone is offended at the Georgia Airport by seeing a free American exercising his rights, that's his/her issue.
Respectfully, its your issue if you end up in the back of a police car, or bleeding out on the floor before the ambulance arrives. You are creating a situation where there's an excellent chance something could go very wrong very fast.
Old June 4, 2015, 07:25 AM   #34
zincwarrior

Quote:
Everytime someone sees somebody in public carrying a gun people get nervous and think that thing he's carrying is a bad thing that kills people.
I disagree. The public gets nervous when they see a rifle, especially when it is carried at low ready or in their tacticool 3 point sling like these guys seem to like to do (and this guy did-look at the pic of him, and with a drum magazine? Come on...). I work downtown and the federal and county courthouses are both within a block. I see guys with pistols in the tunnel here all the time-in and out of "uniform." No one pays them a mind.

But if I saw a guy with an AR walking in the tunnel, I would be very nervous, as in turning and going the other way.

Quote:
Quote:
I've never understood why open carry made so many Firearm rights people uncomfortable
That's because killers openly carry long arms into theaters, parliaments, churches, airports and colleges and kill people.

Are you Mr. Holmes or a defender of the RKBA strolling into the showing of Batman?
Exactly. Again, how many of these stories do you see involve a guy with a pistol properly holstered? Its usually just this sort of thing.

Last edited by zincwarrior; June 4, 2015 at 07:30 AM.
Old June 4, 2015, 02:24 PM   #35
dakota.potts

I don't get how he says he was harassed.

Cops had consensual conversation with him and they allowed him to leave without detainment. They have a right to have a conversation with somebody, and that right is far less offensive than walking around with an AR-15 and loaded Beta mag in a known sensitive area.

Do I support his right to do so? Yes. My opinion is he was wanting to get attention and he got it.

I support the second amendment right to carry arms, including long arms, in public. I don't support doing it in a manner by which you want to show off or make a point. That's how we lose what should be an intrinsic right, because somebody convinces somebody to vote it away for public safety reasons.
Old June 4, 2015, 02:24 PM   #36
bandaid1

Zincwarrior-"Respectfully, its your issue if you end up in the back of a police car, or bleeding out on the floor before the ambulance arrives. You are creating a situation where there's an excellent chance something could go very wrong very fast"

Thanks for the advice. All be it very unnecessary. I have treated more SGW's than I care to remember. Respectfully.

" The public gets nervous when they see a rifle, especially when it is carried at low ready or in their tacticool 3 point sling like these guys seem to like to do (and this guy did-look at the pic of him, and with a drum magazine? Come on...)".

Tacticool like cops do? Why is it ok for 80,000 SWAT raids annually to go tacticool, mostly for nonviolent crimes, but not civilians? The Goose is loose looking for the Gander.

" I work downtown and the federal and county courthouses are both within a block. I see guys with pistols in the tunnel here all the time-in and out of "uniform." No one pays them a mind."

I worked all over the globe for Uncle Sam till retirement. Had my full measure of death in every way imaginable. Guns aren't the only things that kill people. Hell firearms aren't even in the top ten. Smallpox killed 300-500 million during the 20th century. Its what you can't see that will likely kill you.
Old June 4, 2015, 02:34 PM   #37
zincwarrior

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. All be it very unnecessary. I have treated more SGW's than I care to remember.
It probably matters more to you if you’re the one bleeding out from your own foolishness.

Quote:
Tacticool like cops do? Why is it ok for 80,000 SWAT raids annually to go tacticool, mostly for nonviolent crimes, but not civilians? The Goose is loose looking for the Gander.
1. You’re not a cop. If you want to be a police officer, join the force. This is a significant part of the problem, the appearance that you’re trying to be some sort of tacticool operator type. OC People that aren’t going to create situations are going to pay it cool.
2. People are having issues with SWAT and the militarization of the police now as well, but that’s a separate issue.

Quote:
I worked all over the globe for Uncle Sam till retirement. Had my full measure of death in every way imaginable. Guns aren't the only things that kill people. Hell firearms aren't even in the top ten. Smallpox killed 300-500 million during the 20th century. Its what you can't see that will likely kill you.
And? That’s not related to the issue in any material way.
Old June 4, 2015, 02:47 PM   #38
4thPoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
Quote:
While I don’t think Georgia is going backwards anytime soon this could influence the electorate in other Sates especially when coupled with the usual misinformation and drama.
Never say never. Airport carry was a contentious issue when it passed in 2009. Right after the law's passage, Mayor Jackson took it upon herself to pronounce the airport a "gun free zone." It took a subsequent lawsuit and another piece of legislation to clarify the matter.

It might not be tomorrow or next year, but that work could be undone in time.
It would appear that the only thing 'being undone' is Mayor Reed's insistence on ATL being a gun-free zone. The People proposed, the Legislature passed, and the Governor signed legislation specifically decriminalizing the gentleman's conduct.

When the Governor signed the legislation into law, members of GeorgiaCarry were specifically invited to the open air ceremony. A conservative estimate was 300 people showing up the great majority of whom were either openly or concealed carrying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zincwarrior
People that stupid should not be allowed to breed.

I'm surprised he didn't get ventilated. If I were on a grand jury I'd be hard put to vote to indict a police officer who saw that (ESPECIALLY AFTER THE LA AIRPORT) and opened up on him.
Thankfully you are neither a Georgian nor a police officer, both here seem to have more sense than to commit homicide against someone completely within the boundary of the law. As can be seen from the vids posted, OUR police seem to be well acquainted with the legality of his conduct, much as it seems to pain you.

Quote:
Everytime someone sees somebody in public carrying a gun people get nervous and think that thing he's carrying is a bad thing that kills people.
I disagree. The public gets nervous when they see a rifle,..."
People in Texas loose their minds when they see an openly carried pistol.

The 'public' used to get nervous when horseless carriages first appeared, when bathing suits rose above the knee, again when Blacks started to eat at the front of the bus, and then when women wanted to be able to vote.

Eventually, 'the public' seemed to get used to the idea, but NOT because it stopped happening but because it Didn't.

No progress comes without struggle and strife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSr
I could also exercise my right to publicly call his mother every filthy name in the book, but I exercise my rights with discretion and class so that others are not tempted to push for their removal.
Thankfully, you have no such right to criminal behavior in Georgia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
The airport is a sensitive area and these have been repeatedly targeted around the world by terrorists - including in the USA.

That gives a heightened sense of risk. Given the behavior is unusual (even if legal) it suggests abnormal behavior.
Begging your pardon, but "Non-sterile" areas of commercial airports in Georgia are no different than any other government building that offers accommodation to the public, they aren't "sensitive" in any way. "Sterile" areas, that are beyond the passenger screening area are subject to federal regulation.
Old June 4, 2015, 04:09 PM   #39
zincwarrior

Quote:
Thankfully you are neither a Georgian nor a police officer, both here seem to have more sense than to commit homicide against someone completely within the boundary of the law.
Someone walking into an airport with a rifle ported. Thats begging for a bad day.

One of these days one of these guys is going to walk into a restaurant or such and get pumped by a CHLer or police officer. As the number of "lone wolfs" increases, its going to happen.

What happened?
"This guy walked in pointing an assault rifle. I shouted for him to freeze. He turned at me. I was terrified for the lives of myself and my family. So I stopped the threat and immediately called 911."
Old June 4, 2015, 04:21 PM   #40
Sharkbite

Quote:
Quote:
Thankfully you are neither a Georgian nor a police officer, both here seem to have more sense than to commit homicide against someone completely within the boundary of the law.
Someone walking into an airport with a rifle ported. Thats begging for a bad day.

One of these days one of these guys is going to walk into a restaurant or such and get pumped by a CHLer or police officer. As the number of "lone wolfs" increases, its going to happen.

What happened?
"This guy walked in pointing an assault rifle. I shouted for him to freeze. He turned at me. I was terrified for the lives of myself and my family. So I stopped the threat and immediately called 911."

And that will be a bad day for not only OPEN CARRY but a black eye for the CCW crowd as well. The anti- gun media will make it look bad for all involved.

If something puts a bad spin on guns...we all lose
Old June 4, 2015, 04:22 PM   #41
zincwarrior

Exactly.
Old June 4, 2015, 08:00 PM   #42
bandaid1

I am having a hard time understanding why so many are against open carrying a rifle, but all for open carry a handgun or concealed carrying a handgun.

There are advantages and weaknesses to any method. If it is legal it's legal, and saying that if you saw someone open carrying a rifle you'd pull your concealed weapon and shoot them, or even imply that, well it sounds a bit crazy to me.

I think I'm done with this conversation. We are at an impasse.
Old June 4, 2015, 08:07 PM   #43
skizzums

it was just a matter of time before someone took our newly dubbed "guns everywhere" law too far and made people uncomfortable with it. it was pretty much out of everyone's minds here since it passed w/o mass blood in the streets, and this guy has to go an inflame the sides again. it's stupid and irresponsible. the fact that you can do it, is a protection for us, not meant to start the flailing of long-arms in the airport, although it is allowed....probably not for long if people keep it up.

if you guys can't realize that "assault rifles" with drum mags can make everyday people uncomfortable and even fear for their lives, than I don't know what to tell you.
Old June 4, 2015, 08:48 PM   #44
4thPoint

Quote:
Quote:

What happened?
And it would be a 'bad shoot' the same as if someone with a concealed weapon that wasn't pointing a firearm at anyone and some yokel tried the same thing.
Get comfortable in Federal Pound You in the Arse Prison, you're likely to be there for many many years.

The fact is, that no matter how much it rankles you, is that the guy's behavior was perfectly legal, and that he threatened no one.

Hell, even the highest ranking official in the Freaking STATE, hasn't anything bad to say about it.
http://www.wsbtv.com/videos/news/gov...-after/vDTNLj/

Ain't Freedom just terrible?
Old June 4, 2015, 09:05 PM   #45
4thPoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite
Carrying a rifle into an airport scares the Sheeple. Like it or not the Sheeple outnumber us pro-gun types.

That makes for elections that go against us...its that simple.

Stir up the majority and get more restrictions. Push the RKBA past logic and loose those rights. Not hard to understand

I carry EVERYWHERE i go...but nobody knows
The fact that the Governor -
... was re-elected on a platform that included decriminalizing carry at the airport
... had a public signing ceremony for HB 60
... specifically issued invitations to GeorgiaCarry.Org members to attend said ceremony (estimated crowd =>300, the majority of whom were either carrying either openly or concealed)
... is on record as stating he had no problems with the gentleman's actions
- tells me that Georgians aren't likely to lose any of their rights anytime soon. But then again, we do fight for them.
Old June 4, 2015, 09:57 PM   #46
1-DAB

Legal, but stupid.
Old June 5, 2015, 06:05 AM   #47
zincwarrior

Quote:
And it would be a 'bad shoot' the same as if someone with a concealed weapon that wasn't pointing a firearm at anyone and some yokel tried the same thing.
Incorrect. If he had a CHL no one would have seen it. He most certainly wouldn't have been conelaed carrying an M4 with a drum mag.

To the guy sitting at a booth at Dennys-after Aurora, VMI, Fort Hood, Paris, the Navy station, Sandy Hook, the LA airport, and Dallas with the ISIL nuts coming in to kill dozens of people- someone coming in pointing a rifle is a major threat.

Quote:
if you guys can't realize that "assault rifles" with drum mags can make everyday people uncomfortable and even fear for their lives, than I don't know what to tell you.
Exactly.

Last edited by zincwarrior; June 5, 2015 at 06:12 AM.
Old June 5, 2015, 07:00 AM   #48
zincwarrior

here is what I am talking about. This happened recently:
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/open...asking-for-id/

Cops stop OC "activists" (G is hated by the CHL community here for his stunts). Cops are using rifles.

Note the commentary. This is already being used by Moms Demand Action.

Last edited by zincwarrior; June 5, 2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old June 5, 2015, 09:07 AM   #49
sicumj

I would be alarmed if I saw someone carrying an AR in public anywhere but a gun range or soy bean field. There are limits to individual rights. You can't yell fire in a crowded room. That was an extremist attempt at proving what? He's lucky he wasn't gunned down by the crowd. Nothing good can come from behavior like that and don't fool yourself that example was about inappropriate behavior. Gun rights has nothing to do with foolish no stupid and obnoxious behavior like that.
Old June 5, 2015, 09:24 AM   #50
4thPoint

Quote:
here is what I am talking about. This happened recently:
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/open...asking-for-id/

Cops stop OC "activists" (G is hated by the CHL community here for his stunts). Cops are using rifles.

Note the commentary. This is already being used by Moms Demand Action.
That was the most beautiful thing I've seen all week.

They shut those meddlesome cops down, quick, fast and in a hurry.
No BS arrests, unlike the first time Grisham did a legal walk with an AR (and I'll note Gresham was Not convicted of any firearm related crime).
No citations, no fines, no criminal trespass (which should have been obvious to any ""professional"" who knew the law.
Heck they couldn't even work up a 'stern talking to'.

Poor fellers, the cops I mean, I can't imagine the trials and tribulations they're gonna be going through now that Texans will be able to exercise the freedom to openly carry handguns starting next year.

Last edited by 4thPoint; June 5, 2015 at 09:31 AM.
Closed Thread