The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 15, 2013, 04:27 PM   #126
orangello

This is truly sad. If you poor, oppressed people in NY can't take back the reigns to your state government, i do hope you can obtain shelter in a more reasonable state. It is hot down here in MS, but the government is very reasonable about your firearms rights; consider your options.

If i understood the mentions of restrictions on ammo purchases, i would hope that eveybody here would encourage any internet ammo sellers to fill orders for NY residents before they fill orders for those of us in comparitively free states.

Hang in there yankees!
Old January 15, 2013, 04:33 PM   #127
globemaster3

Hey Brian, MO could use some good, NY-style pizza!
Old January 15, 2013, 04:57 PM   #128
Hal

http://www.lohud.com/article/2013011...o-sign-shortly

Passed w/out much of a problem.
On to Cuomo next.
Old January 15, 2013, 05:07 PM   #129
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Passed w/out much of a problem.
On to Cuomo next

There is no official confiscation, do you think he will sign this highly weakened bill?
Old January 15, 2013, 05:08 PM   #130
Drummer101

I am kind of hoping people just get up and leave New York... Works better than a petition... But I know that is also really hard in these dark economic times.

Hal: weren't you a mod?
Old January 15, 2013, 05:11 PM   #131
JimDandy

We shouldn't be encouraging people to leave NY, we should be encouraging people from the gun happy states to move to NY and help them set things straight
Old January 15, 2013, 05:12 PM   #132
Drummer101

Is this law 10 years like the previous ban or is it until it is overturned in the future (one can hope).
Old January 15, 2013, 05:19 PM   #133
BGutzman

Quote:
Serious 5th Amendment issues abound
Serious 2nd Amendment issues abound also... The 2A says "shall not be infringed"... Given our current, right now as of today environment, I think we are in desperate need of the SCOTUS to spell out in detail what "shall not be infringed" means to us lay folk...

I know I'm an idealist, but sincerely enough is enough... Isn't time for the SCOTUS to spell it all out... I'm sure they won't, but we seem to be on the verge of a constitutional crisis... at least in my view of the world... My crystal ball says tomorrow isn't going to make things better... I hope to be wrong.

Last edited by BGutzman; January 15, 2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 05:20 PM   #134
Hal

Quote:
Hal: weren't you a mod?
Nope - never....bite your tongue..

I managed to be just obnoxious enough to escape that horrid fate, but, not so much so that I got bounced .

Quote:
Is this law 10 years like the previous ban or is it until it is overturned in the future (one can hope).
It's a permanent part of the laws of New York...
or will be once it's signed. There's no sunset provision like the federal ban in 1994.

"Permanent" is also a subjective term.
Any or all of it is open to challange at some point by someone - but - I believe the legal term for that "someone" is that they have to have standing.

Since the law doesn't affect me, I can't challange it. I have no standing.

Last edited by Hal; January 15, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 05:28 PM   #135
Battler

Quote:
Isn't time for the SCOTUS to spell it all out
What this could boil down to is whether it's done while there are 4-5 guaranteed votes you may not like, or later when there are 6-7 guaranteed votes you may not like.
Old January 15, 2013, 05:44 PM   #136
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Threads merged and title changed.
Old January 15, 2013, 05:48 PM   #137
Alabama Shooter

Signed, Sealed, Delivered:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/16/ny...%2Findex.jsonp

Quote:
“We have some of the toughest gun laws in the country, and this just strengthens them,” Mr. Bloomberg told reporters in New York. “It fills in loopholes, and it expands it, as the society’s needs have changed, and the dangers have changed to all of us.”

During the Assembly debate, which lasted five hours, a number of Republicans criticized both its content and the lack of public hearings or other public process for considering the proposals.

One Republican assemblyman, Marc W. Butler, whose Mohawk Valley district includes workers at the Remington Arms plant in Ilion, said the measure “tramples on the constitutional rights of our constituents.” Another, David DiPietro, who represents a rural district in western New York, said his office had received 430 e-mails and text messages from constituents opposed to new gun restrictions — and none in support.

And Assemblyman Steven Katz, a Hudson Valley Republican, said Mr. Cuomo should not have pressured lawmakers to act so quickly. Tuesday was only the second day of the 2013 legislative session.

“Why are we being bullied into voting on this bill without our proper, responsible due diligence?” Mr. Katz asked. “Solely due to the governor’s misguided, egotistic notion that this will advance his presidential aspirations.”

But Assemblyman Joseph R. Lentol, a Brooklyn Democrat and sponsor of the bill, said, “We believe that it’s up to us to lead the way.”

And Assemblyman Thomas J. Abinanti, a Westchester County Democrat, said: “It’s taken far too many deaths to get us to this point. The Second Amendment does not guarantee the right to bear arms to kill innocent firefighters, teachers and children, and that’s the message we have to send.”
It is for the Children.
Old January 15, 2013, 05:51 PM   #138
carguychris

Help me out here...

OK, one thing is still unclear to me after searching the text of the law several times.
Quote:
-Ban the Internet sale of assault weapons.
How does the law do this? I see the registration requirements, but not a ban on transfers.
Old January 15, 2013, 05:51 PM   #139
Drummer101

I wonder if gun makers would bother making 7 round magazines.

Does this affect police forces or are they not affected by these laws?
If not maybe gun makers could ban the sale of these evil devices to everyone in the state...
Old January 15, 2013, 05:55 PM   #140
carguychris

Quote:
Does this affect police forces or are they not affect by these laws?
This seemed to be a point of contention during the NY Assembly debate. The supporters of the bill contend that existing provisions in the NY code should already exempt LE, but some opponents (and lukewarm supporters) contended that the provisions are too vague given the sweeping nature of the law.

I don't know enough about the remainder of NY state law to offer any comments myself.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:20 PM   #141
Erikbal

I am a resident of NY state with a pistol permit and I have 2 pistols right now. One being a S&W Bodyguard 380 which only comes with a 6rd mag anyways. My other gun is a Ruger SR9C. So if I can no longer possess the 10rd mags that came with it and have to sell them out of state within a year, what if Ruger doesn't start making 7rd mags? Is that a possibility? Then what, I have a gun I paid over $400 for that is a paper weight? What about my friend who is also a LEGAL gun owner and owns a gen 3 Glock 19. He currently has "pre ban" high cap mags for it, meaning pre 1994. Will he be forced to sell these as well? I can't imagine gun manufacturers being too happy about possibly having to make all new magazines specifically for NY state.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old January 15, 2013, 06:24 PM   #142
Dragline45

Quote:
I can't imagine gun manufacturers being too happy about possibly having to make all new magazines specifically for NY state.
Honestly most probably wont make them. I live in Massachusetts where to buy a gun in this state it needs to be certified. To be certified in this state is a huge hassle, and since Massachusetts is such a small percent of their revenue alot of companies do not even do business with Massachusetts. I suspect some companies will drop NY completely and choose not to do business with them.

Our government is full of simple minded fools, I cant even express how disgusted I am. The major crisis in this country right now is our economy. All this gun control spiel if passed will put countless people out of business and countless people out of jobs. In a time where our country needs every penny it can get, they are doing their best to shut down an entire industry.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:25 PM   #143
Progress

@Bubsy: I was referring to the 10 rd mags.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:31 PM   #144
mete

Brian , the NY pols have never been able to understand why people continue to leave NY. High taxes ,difficulty in starting and running a business, never ending increase in regulations ,and now the gun ban .
The numbers game is crazy, first Bloomberg with 16 oz sodas, I could buy 2 or 3 8 oz. Cuomo 10 rd mag is ok but you only can load them with 7 bullets [ie cartridges]. I guess now I'll have to carry three 1911s .[that's 3x7 =21 !] That beats 2x17 ! I'm glad I have an engineering background so I can understand those big numbers !!
Unfortunately I,m not in a position to leave the state.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:37 PM   #145
Drummer101

Quote:
I am a resident of NY state with a pistol permit and I have 2 pistols right now. One being a S&W Bodyguard 380 which only comes with a 6rd mag anyways. My other gun is a Ruger SR9C. So if I can no longer possess the 10rd mags that came with it and have to sell them out of state within a year, what if Ruger doesn't start making 7rd mags? Is that a possibility? Then what, I have a gun I paid over $400 for that is a paper weight? What about my friend who is also a LEGAL gun owner and owns a gen 3 Glock 19. He currently has "pre ban" high cap mags for it, meaning pre 1994. Will he be forced to sell these as well? I can't imagine gun manufacturers being too happy about possibly having to make all new magazines specifically for NY state.
The way I see it is you can have them (possible registered) and you can only load 7 rounds.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:38 PM   #146
UtopiaTexasG19

"I wonder if gun makers would bother making 7 round magazines."

Companies are in business to make a profit. What would be better for them than having millions of their previous products made useless and a new market for millions of new product created with the stroke of a pen. I'd bet some of the larger high capacity magazine makers are already jumping up and down for joy and having preliminary meetings to discuss the new gold rush for them. Magazines do not take the level of re-tooling for manufacturing as does items more complex.
Old January 15, 2013, 06:44 PM   #147
deadeyedeadyote

hey does anybody have detailed info about NYS gun control?

Hey I'm a Western New Yorker and I heard about the new restrictions. so can we still buy/own new semi-auto .22 rifles? (I'm sure pre-banned purchases can still be owned and registered) and i have a pump-action shotgun with a collapsible stock. is that legal? i saw the restriction says that a semi-auto shotty can have one military feature but i couldnt find any statutes on pump-action shotguns. also does it say something about banning "semi-automatic pistols"? does that mean if my pistol permit goes through (which i dont think it will now), ill be limited to buying revolvers, derringers, and liberator 1-shot handguns like the WWII american pilots used to carry?
Old January 15, 2013, 06:54 PM   #148
mete

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/2059015...nder-lock-down

And we also have to turn in our lever action , lime green Nerf guns !!!
Old January 15, 2013, 06:55 PM   #149
Dragline45

Quote:
Companies are in business to make a profit. What would be better for them than having millions of their previous products made useless and a new market for millions of new product created with the stroke of a pen. I'd bet some of the larger high capacity magazine makers are already jumping up and down for joy and having preliminary meetings to discuss the new gold rush for them. Magazines do not take the level of re-tooling for manufacturing as does items more complex
Actually quite the contrary. I would not be surprised if alot of these companies refuse to go through the expensive process of having to tool up to make 7 rd mags. It's not a simple process and it can be very expensive. Also, considering only NY has this ban, and considering NY makes up a small percentage of firearm sales throughout the country, they might not even bother. The cost vs benefit might not add up to make specialized mags for only one state, especially when that state has such a low percentage of firearm purchases compared to others.
Old January 15, 2013, 07:07 PM   #150
JWT

I doubt that it was accidental that NY picked the 7 round number. They almost certainly realize most semi autos will become useless in NY because magazines will not be availaable.

Would it be possible to modify a magazine by pinning it to limit it to 7 rds? If so would it make a magazine legal?