The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 5, 2002, 11:02 AM   #1
Lee M.

Mosin Nagant M44 bolt disassembly instructions

Does anyone know of an easy way to disassemble the Mosin Nagant bolt without the risk of breaking the firing pin? I have found only one way to disassemble the bolt from Russian-Mosin-Nagant website but his method involves pressing the firing pin down on a hardwood surface. There is a chance that the pin could break if you slip. Are there any safer methods? Any help is appreciated.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
John F. Kennedy
Old January 5, 2002, 10:51 PM   #2
citra45

1891 Mosin bolt dissasembly

Hold bolt handle down in your right hand. Pull back the cocking piece with the left hand far enough to disengage it from the end of bolt. Rotate it up allowing it to go forward. Now slide the bolt head and bolt connector and guide bar off the bolt body.

The firing pin is screwed into the cocking peice and will sometimes bind. The end of the bolt connector and guide bar can be used as a wrench to screw out the firing pin. Hold the bolt body in your left hand and turn down the firing pin with the right hand. When ready to reassemble the bolt, be sure the marks on the firing pin and cocking piece line up.

To reassemble the bolt: screw the firing pin, firing pin spring, bolt, and cocking piece together. Remember to line up the open end of the guide bar with the lug on the cocking piece, then rotate the bolt head until it lines up so you may push it all together and rotate the cocking piece back to the cocked position.

Hope this helps you out.
Old January 6, 2002, 06:32 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Disassem

Lee M:

I have sent by separate email, the complete assem/disassem w/Photos for the Nagant. They are sent by AOL so you will have to unzip it. If you have problems let me know and I will send it by another browser.

HJN
Old January 8, 2002, 12:28 AM   #4
Lee M.

Thanks for the info.

I really appreciate both of you taking the time out to help me on this. Its people like you that makes this site great. Thanks.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
John F. Kennedy
Old January 8, 2002, 05:18 AM   #5
johelin

Quote:
his method involves pressing the firing pin down on a hardwood surface. There is a chance that the pin could break if you slip. Are there any safer methods? Any help is appreciated.
If you press the pin against wood, it won't slip. The pressure normally required is such that it will make a dent on soft surfaces.
So don't do it on your best table.

IMO, it's not possible to break the firing pin as long as you treat it with common sense.

This is the fastest (and most common) method to take it apart/put it back together.

How long does it take to assemble the bolt ? If you can do it under 20 seconds, you're pretty fast.