The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 13, 2017, 07:09 PM   #1
stagpanther

Northwoods sights on a rossi

Although I have lots of hunting firearms to choose from--there's something about my veteran rossi 16" carbine in 44 mag that always has me coming back to it and grabbing it--both for fun at the range--as well as my deep-woods gun when I venture in during hunting season.

This poor gun has been abused by me over the years--as well as been subject to many different attempts to come up with some combination of sights or scopes that can help my poor eyesight.

So I decided to ditch the scope and go back to irons--here is a ghost ring front fiber sight offered by Northwoods and available on e-bay. Look forward to seeing how well they work.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170713_194716_HDR.jpg (39.9 KB, 258 views)
Old July 14, 2017, 11:08 AM   #2
Don Fischer

All three of my Sako's came with a removable rear peep sight. I didn't use them after I got a scope mounted but I did try them. Best way to use them was to unscrew the aperture ring and open up the back of the thing. light automatically draws your eye to the center.
Old July 17, 2017, 06:07 AM   #3
Tony Z

Nice little rig! I have a blued, round barrel Rossi in .44 that is fast becoming one of my favorites! The stock sights are serving me very well, though! Something about the shape, and distance from my eyes that permit me to pick up the sight picture better than most of my guns.
Old July 17, 2017, 06:44 AM   #4
stagpanther

My beloved rossi just gave up the ghost--the crossbolt that holds the foreend and mag tube in has over the years bent and yesterday snapped--so she's out of action. As much as I loved the gun, and she served me well (I'll eventually get a replacement bolt) I will look elsewhere for a replacement rifle.

The 44 mag is probably my favorite all-around cartridge for "inside 150 yds"--so adaptable to so many loadings, useful in both revolver and rifle, easy and quick to reload for (carbide dies make short work of it's straight-walled case) and I've never had a case fail except for remington stuff which came right from the factory defective.
Old July 17, 2017, 09:14 AM   #5
Hawg

I put a Marbles full buckhorn on mine and use it as a ghost ring. They do make a plug to replace that hideous safety.