The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 14, 2001, 12:42 AM   #1
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

9mm SP's expand?

Will 9mm soft-points typically expand when impacting tissue? Has anyone loaded SP's hot enough to expand, or found loaded ammunition with SP's that expanded? If this was a "roll your own", how hot and fast was she?

I have found Federal 100-grain 9mm SP for a pretty good price, but this is only a good price if the stuff expands- otherwise, I'll go up the priceline to something like expanding full metal jacket.

Thanks!
Old June 14, 2001, 07:45 PM   #2
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. The only softpoints in 9mm that I've ever seen that expanded were Federal's old 95 gr JSPs. I have no experience with their 100 gr version that you mention.

Years ago, I handloaded Speer's 125 gr JSP up to about 1200 ft/sec, but it did NOT expand in most media I tested it in. Shot a few rabbits and it acted like ball.

Best.
Old June 14, 2001, 09:53 PM   #3
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Thanks. I tried some of the S&B softpoints about 2.5 yrs ago, but

1) I was firing from a 16" bl (Sub-9), and
2) I was firing into a dry phone book. I kinda doubt it simulated any flesh other than (perhaps) bone. Oh, well...guess I'll just have to save up for the expanding FMJ.