The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 5, 2017, 10:46 AM   #1
Kvon2

Pistol Caliber Carbines - High Point...should I just do it?

I think one of my next toys will be a pistol Caliber Carbine and I feel like every time I look at one I end up thinking "but I could just get a high point for a lot less".

I think it's pretty widely accepted that high point makes some ugly, ugly guns. But they work!

Any positive or negative experiences with high points carbines?
Old October 5, 2017, 10:51 AM   #2
hdwhit

Quote:
Kvon2 wrote:
high point makes some ugly, ugly guns. But they work!
Yep!

The High Points are not very stylish, but they do tend to work. So, if the aesthetics are going to bother you, pay more and buy something else. But, if you can find beauty in consistent reliable function, then the High Point could be the PCC for you.
Old October 5, 2017, 12:16 PM   #3
brasscollector

Pros
  • very reliable
  • accurate

Cons
  • trigger feels like a broken light switch
  • ergonomics of driftwood
Old October 5, 2017, 04:52 PM   #4
Onward Allusion

Goes bang every time. Just stick to OEM mags. The 15 round ProMags can work if you spend time tweaking 'em.
Old October 5, 2017, 04:57 PM   #5
JoeSixpack

I've got a 9mm, it's a lot of fun, I like it, but the 10 round mags kinda make it suck.
At one time I thought about getting their .45 model and I hear they're coming out with 10mm but nah.. I've since changed my mind next pistol carbine will probably be a sub2k or cx4
Old October 5, 2017, 05:14 PM   #6
jonnyc

The 995s are great, get one. There are now 20 round "factory" mags, a "Redball" or something.
Old October 5, 2017, 06:04 PM   #7
ttarp

High Tower Armory is in the final testing stages of a bullpup stock for the High Point carbines, looks better than the standard High Point, and looks pretty handy too. Whenever they finish up testing and start producing the stocks, I plan to get one or two.
Old October 5, 2017, 06:28 PM   #8
turtlehead

I'll vote no to provide some balance.

Sure, they work. But it's still a High Point. Have some dignity.

My Dad has one in .45. It's a big, fat t*rd.
Old October 5, 2017, 06:31 PM   #9
HankC1

Quote:
bullpup stock for the High Point carbines
It better be a lefty bullpup. The left side charge handle cycling near your nose got to be annoying!
Old October 5, 2017, 06:58 PM   #10
Green Lantern

Love my Hi-point 995ts.

Right on target out of the box. Love the spring loaded stock. No recoil to speak about. Plenty of rails for add-ons.
Be nice if it had bigger magazines. They say not to buy the 15 round, but the 20 works if you can live with the odd shape.

I about forgot. Lifetime warranty
Old October 5, 2017, 07:01 PM   #11
turkeestalker

They work.
The warranty is second to virtually none.
With they price point that you can get one at, I'm thinking that they are awful hard to beat.

Of course if you're looking at one, you'd imagine that it's already been beaten pretty soundly with a really BIG ugly stick!

But they work.
Old October 6, 2017, 08:57 AM   #12
smee78

I would say if the price is right and it meets your needs then get one, they are not to fancy looking but they work.
Now on the same note be sure to price an pistol cal ar or sub 2000 and compare what you want the gun for and if there are any deal breakers like mag availability. The PSA guns that take the Glock mags are at some good prices last time I looked and the ar can have all types of junk attached to it.
Price plays alot into purchases but not if the gun I settle for wont meet the reason I'm looking in the first place.
Old October 6, 2017, 09:28 AM   #13
Cornhusker77

Hi Point carbines are great.
Mine has been my bump in the night gun for years. It's accurate, reliable and it just works all the time.
Sometimes you have to tweak the mags, but at the time I bought mine, the mags were fairly cheap, so load up on mags.
I found a plate that bolts to the side of the rifle, It has a place for a rail on top, and I drilled it for a rail on the side to put a flashlight on that lights up the front sight and beyond.
i also have a Kel Tec Sub2000 in 9mm. If you are taking a PCC with you on a walk, this is the one to take, it's very light, double stack, and depending on the configuration, you can put mags over 30 rounds.
I have a Ruger PC9 that is probably my favorite, but the one I shoot the least.
The Rugers are going up in price all the time, so good luck finding one for a decent price.
Old October 7, 2017, 01:07 PM   #14
Kvon2

We have a local gun show coming through next month and there's always plenty of high points around. Maybe I'll be able to snag one for a good deal there.
Old October 7, 2017, 04:13 PM   #15
turkeestalker

Look for one at a local pawn that has a bias against the fact that it's a Hi Point and you'll get a better deal than most shows.
Should be able to find one for $200 or a little less with very little looking.
I've purchased a 9mm from a friend and .45 ACP from a pawn for myself, and two .45 ACPs from pawns for my sons.
One cost me $225, one $200, one $175 and the last $150 if memory serves.
Gun shows typically run closer to retail.
That blind bias can really pay off!
Old October 7, 2017, 04:37 PM   #16
Kvon2

Unfortunately the pawn shops around here only have have shotguns and bolt guns it seems. I've never seen one with hand guns or any semi auto rifles
Old October 8, 2017, 11:46 AM   #17
Reloadron

Quote:
I think it's pretty widely accepted that high point makes some ugly, ugly guns. But they work!
Buy High Point and keep Ohioians employed.

They are junk, stamped out tin garbage. My brother has one in .40 S&W. Strange though, every time we get together with other friends on the property on one of my brother's friends everyone wants time shooting that rifle. That little rifle just plain shoots and shoots and shoots. Dirty and filthy covered in carbon and it still shoots. Not only does it always shoot but the rifle shoots extremely well and with good ammunition holds darn nice groups. It does this consistently without fail. Every shooting outing my brother is asked to bring that little rifle. Truthfully as to bang for the buck they are hard to beat. You can pay much more and get a prettier pistol caliber carbine but will be hard pressed to get a more accurate and reliable little rifle.

Ron
Old October 8, 2017, 02:00 PM   #18
Danoobie

I got a 995TS a while back.

Pros: You get a lot for the money.
They have a singular look to them.
Warranty and CS is second to none.
Made right here, in the USA, in Elyria, Ohio.

Cons:
Take down and assembly is a little complicated.
The trigger is mushy and imprecise.
Mags are junky, which makes the rifle undependable.
Mags are low capacity, a major fail, in a PCC, IMO.

I wound up getting one of the better competitors PCC,
and haven't used the Hi-Point since.

I would save up the moolah, and get a better gun. Otherwise,
you may wind up doing what a lot of us did, getting the Hi-Point
first, and buying another PCC later.
Old October 9, 2017, 06:04 AM   #19
jetinteriorguy

I too looked at the HiPoint when looking for a 9mm carbine, but every time I picked one up I just couldn't bring myself to actually purchase one. I know their reputation is good but they just seem so junky. I wound up with a JustRight Carbine and haven't regretted buying it for a moment.
Old October 9, 2017, 04:25 PM   #20
Fishbed77

Considering how inexpensive ARs have become (even in 9mm), I would seriously look at them. You can can slap a PSA 9mm upper and complete lower together for around $500-$530.

Granted, that's $150-$200 or so more than a Hi-Point carbine, but the AR platform opens up so many more options.
Old October 9, 2017, 05:04 PM   #21
stagpanther

Never had any interest--that might change when they come out with a 10mm one though.
Old October 9, 2017, 05:09 PM   #22
MarkCO

If just for plinking and you like it, sure.

If you plan on shooting some matches of some sort, or to match pistol magazines, maybe try to find a Kel-Tec. KTs are kind of the bridge between clunker and racer.

Delta Team Tactical has 9mm carbine kits with everything but the lower for $299, and I have seen some Glock mag lowers in the $150 range.