The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 25, 2017, 03:26 PM   #1
pmsmith2032

Upgrades to Current Rifles

I own the following rifles and am wondering if it makes sense to upgrade them:

Remington Scoremaster Model 511 Bolt Action .22 LR - Purchased used years ago. It shoots well but often jams when feeding in rounds (it has clips). Was thinking of selling it and buying a Ruger 10/22.

Marlin Model 30AS Lever Action 30-30 - Bought used and it shoots well. However, I am not a big fan of the recoil (I know I've developed a flinch when shooting). Main use is as a backup for deer hunting in northern Wisconsin.

Ruger Model M77 Bolt Action 30-06 (laminate stock) - Shoots well but I have had some issues with accuracy after trying to free-float the barrel (I currently have a business card slid between the forearm and barrel which seems to help). Recoil is an issue with this rifle too. This is my primary rifle for deer hunting in northern Wisconsin.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old September 25, 2017, 03:43 PM   #2
ShootistPRS

Get a 223 rifle. It doesn't matter whether it is bolt or semi-auto but it fills the void between 22RF and the 30-30 and it does it without recoil.
Get a 6mm or 25 caliber bolt rifle. It will make a great deer rifle and do so with a manageable recoil.
Last get a "mountain rifle" in 338 magnum. That will show you how little recoil the 30-30 and 30-06 really have.
Old September 25, 2017, 03:43 PM   #3
TrueBlue711

For recoil on the bottom two guns, look into Limbsaver buttpads. Very easy upgrade. I put a Limbsaver slip-on buttpad on my Marlin 336 (same caliber as your 30AS) and it made a world of difference with recoil. I can shoot it all day now.
Not sure what to do for your 511 besides give it a good cleaning. I like your idea of selling it for a 10/22. I love my 10/22 and I never had any problems with it. Off brand magazines were a different story though.
For accuracy on your M77, how bad is it? I had some very inconsistent shooting in one of my rifles and it turned out to be the scope base. After I put a new base on, it was fine. So check your optic and optic mount, make sure the screws are not loose.

EDIT: Sorry, wasn't sure if you wanted advice on upgrading to a new gun(s) for each or what upgrade accessory or gunsmithing was needed to correct your problems with them. I'm assuming the second.
Old September 25, 2017, 03:45 PM   #4
Husqvarna

Maybe let a gunsmith go thru your ruger?

30-06 is such a non-calibre for me but it does the job

but new guns are always fun

just buying new scopes feels like new gusn to

30-30 a 1-4 or reddot for the stalking hunt/woods
30-06 a bigger 3-9 or 4-12 with a 50 objective for open hunting or from a blind
Old September 25, 2017, 03:54 PM   #5
pmsmith2032

Thanks all for the responses. I'm open to either.....buying new guns or upgrading the current. I'm even open to selling both the Ruger and Marlin to purchase one new one. Both rifles have scopes on them (Ruger - Leupold VX-II 3x9x40mm; Marlin - Tasco 4x32). The Ruger does shoot better when I add the business card between the barrel and forearm so that is definitely the problem.
Old September 25, 2017, 05:02 PM   #6
PatientWolf

What I'd do?

Keep the bolt .22.
Add a recoil pad to the 30-30.
Replace the Ruger M77 with either another 30-06 or a .308.
Depending on your price point and preferences; a Ruger American, a Ruger American
Predator, a Savage Weather Warrior, a Winchester Model 70 or maybe a Tikka T3 Lite.
Old September 25, 2017, 06:01 PM   #7
lefteye

A Limbsaver recoil pad will reduce the felt recoil. Glass bedding the action, behind (but not below) the recoil lug and under the chamber, and free-floating the barrel forward of the chamber should improve accuracy. This would include removing the business card AND any pressure point in the stock near the front of the stock. These changes dramatically improved the accuracy of my Ruger M77 .243.
Old September 25, 2017, 06:24 PM   #8
Danoobie

Carefully clean the Model 511, and see if you can possibly get some
Wolff Springs for the mags.

The great thing about the other two rifles is you should have no
problem selling them, if you decide to get something new. Two
very popular name brands in two very popular calibers.
Old September 25, 2017, 06:32 PM   #9
tobnpr

Sorry, but I'm not understanding what it is, you're lookin for?

Difficult to make suggestions when the end result desired isn't clear. 3 rifles ranging the gamut from .22lr to an .06....

An .06 is a lot of powder for Whitetails. I'd ditch it for something else in the .308 class- including 7-08, .243, 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 Remington, and of course the .308.

Flinch is something that needs to be worked on, but if you're very recoil sensitive consider a brake or suppressor to help mitigate felt recoil.

Keep the lever gun for a "backup" if you feel you need to. Do you do any target shooting (or, would you if it were actually fun)? Or, are you looking for a rifle that comes out of the safe only when the leaves are falling?
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old September 26, 2017, 07:33 AM   #10
pmsmith2032

Thanks! I'm going to order two Limbsaver buttpads for the Marlin and Ruger. Is there a certain brand/type of glass bedding I should buy? Is there a tutorial or website I can check out on how to do the glass bedding properly?

Do brakes and suppressors increase noise a lot (hunting out of a ground blind)?

Ideally what I'm trying to do is reduce recoil (Ruger & Marlin), increase reliability (Remington) and increase accuracy (mainly the Ruger). I don't know if advances in technologies had made the three rifles I currently have less then desirable or if I should keep them and modify a bit. I don't shoot all that much but enjoy doing so and have a son and daughter that are starting to get interested. I'm also thinking about buying/building and AR-15 for plinking and defense (SHTF). My father has one and the kids and I enjoy shooting it.

Thanks again!
Old September 26, 2017, 11:24 AM   #11
T. O'Heir

"...business card slid between..." It's normal for a rifle to dislike a floated barrel. A floated barrel guarantees nothing. Put a dab of bedding material an inch or so aft of the end on the forestock. Do not forget the release agent.
"...Recoil is an issue..." Put on a recoil pad. The load/ammo you're using matters too though.
Your Scoremaster uses magazines, not clips. It's actually an entry level target rifle. You will not get enough money selling it to buy a 10/22 unless it's got target sights. The actual model of 511 matters. Don't think a 10/22 would be an 'upgrade' either. Lotta aftermarket stuff for 'em though.
Old September 26, 2017, 11:41 AM   #12
Don Fischer

I would not put money into trying to lessen recoil on the rifle's. I'd get rid of them and get something else. I am very fond ot the 308 also but I would not go that way in youe situation, I'd go with a new 7mm-08! If you reload, a 260 Rem. I think you can get a Savage, Ruger, Mossberg for around $400 in 7mm-08. Then for a 22 lr, you might give what you have a good cleaning and fix the problem but if that doesn't work and it has no sentimental value, replace it. I wouldn't sell it, not worth much probably and a new 22 start's out relatively inexpensive. For around $600 you can have a new CF rifle and a new 22 RF! And you still have the old rimfire. Not sure what the 30-30 is worth or the Ruger but you might get enough for two new rifles. Go to the different rifle maker's web pages and see what they have in a price you want to spend. Don't buy directly from then, just see what interest's you then got to gun shops and find prices.

I lowered myself to a new Mossberg Patriot this year. Thing shoot's so well I got a second. Partiot's with a nice wood stock cost me right at $400 each. I have heard that the Savage and Ruger American can be had even less expensive.

Remember if you run into some of the don't buy that crud guy's, the rifle's they buy you may not be able to afford and probably won't shoot any better. I bought my mod 70 feather weight about 10yrs ago with the hope my grand daughter would grow into a hunter. I paid just under $800 for it and it is a beautiful rifle. I got my Mossberg Patriot w/wood stock for just barely over $400. For the mod 70 I had to buy rings and base's to mount a scope. The base's came with the Mossberg. The mod has very nice machine cut checkering, the Mossberg something the call stippled, works and looks nice. The Mossberg came with a trigger that broke cleanly, right out of the box, at 2 1/2#. The mod 70's trigger broke at 5#, but was easy to adjust to 3#. Out of the box and down the road both rifle's shot very well but the Patriot does out shoot the mod 70 by quit a bit. The Mod 70 cost about $400 more!

I hear that the Savage entry into this market is also very accurate but I haven't seen one in a wood stock. Even higher marks on the Ruger American but again I haven't seen a wood stock. Drop the wood stock on the Patriot and I could get it for $300! Now it's around $500 less than my mod70. Myself I have never shot the Savage of Ruger entry's but if money wasn't a problem for me, at this point I would try them! This class of rifle's started with the Savage 110 kit and I think the old Mossberg 800. What sorry looking guns but I know the Savage shot well, never fires the 800. They sure were ugly though, but the also had wood stock's.

Because of this new class of rifle's, well new to me, there is no reason to put up with rifles in cartridge's that the recoil from bother's you. You can go out and buy a new rifle in 260 Rem of 7mm-08 rather than putting money into after market item's that may or may not work for you!
Old September 28, 2017, 07:12 PM   #13
Reloadron

Quote:
Remington Scoremaster Model 511 Bolt Action .22 LR - Purchased used years ago. It shoots well but often jams when feeding in rounds (it has clips). Was thinking of selling it and buying a Ruger 10/22.
I would try replacing the magazine spring as was suggested. I have a 511 as well as a 510 and 512 as well as a Ruger 10/22. I can't really make a comparison as any of those old Remington guns will out shoot the 10/22. Wisner makes a good aftermarket magazine for the Remington 511. WISNER - REMINGTON 511 MAGAZINE 22LR from Brownells and they work pretty well. I also have a few original Remington magazines. Anyway there is not much to the 511 and a good cleaning and maybe new magazine would likely have this old classic rifle tack driving reliably again. As of a few years ago I was seeing those old Remington rifles selling for about $200 to $250 at local gun shows. I have seen the after market magazines in both 6 round and 10 round flavors.

Ron
Old September 29, 2017, 08:06 AM   #14
Rifletom

Agree with the 7-08 and the Mossberg Patriot. Damn good rifle and excellent cartridge.
Old September 29, 2017, 08:09 AM   #15
fourbore

I would sell them all. There are lighter to carry and milder shooting deer rifles. The22lr has seen better days. I like that Marlin, but that is ME not YOU.
Cutting the gun up just ruins it for the next guy.

The 7mm-08 was mentioned, I use that. The most infact. The 22mag is great to hunt but the 10/22 probably more fun. I dont like the 10/22 (again that is ME) The Ruger american in 243 is a great little combo and very versatile. Much more so that either 223 or 7mm. I have all three.

As to replacements, that is dependent on what you already have and your personal taste and preference. I love visiting local shops and perusing all the models. Take you time, enjoy. Maybe borrow a 243, see what I am talking about.