The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 21, 2017, 08:26 PM   #1
TXAZ

Who makes the very Best AR in .308

Looking for input on what a really really good .308 AR would cost if your rich uncle left you $'s specifically for an AR in .308.
So, if $'s were not an object, who makes the very best .308 AR platform, what scope would you put on it, and how much would the total cost be? I see it's easy to get to $5K, could you get to $8-10K, and what do you think the difference is?

By this is for the rifle and (non-night vision) scope, no other accessories.
(Yes I know you can spend $2K on a laser, $15K on a night scope, etc. None of that's included.)

Thanks!

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old September 21, 2017, 08:57 PM   #2
rickyrick

Generic TFL Member: "I recommend the exact rifle I own as being superior to all others"

That's how these threads go, I dunno, it's Thursday and I'm bored.
Old September 22, 2017, 01:32 AM   #3
DaleA

Disclaimer: I don't know much about AR-10's. (If anybody wants to put this to music a la 'Don't know much about history' see me later and we can discuss royalties.)

Undoubtedly you and tons of other knowledgeable AR-10 folk are aware of Les Baer. Ever since I read about his history of starting his business I've been a fan of all things he creates. His .308 AR's seem like they should certainly be in consideration. There's $3,700 models and $4,400 models.

Here's a link to the lower cost model.
https://www.lesbaer.com/AR308.html
Old September 22, 2017, 05:45 AM   #4
G.barnes

If money is not an object. Knights armament sr25. Second for me would be LMT.
Old September 22, 2017, 06:49 AM   #5
wild cat mccane

Surely not the best, but my wealthy brother-in-law bought the HK .308 AR10 with the integrated suppressor (integrated being that it extended into the handguard).

That thing treated me right
Old September 22, 2017, 12:23 PM   #6
ed308

LMT, LWRC, or LaRue would work for me and I'd have money left over for ammo.
Old September 22, 2017, 12:25 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...could you get to $8-10K..." Possibly for a real mid 50's vintage Dutch Armalite made, select fire, AR-10. Way more if you could find one of the 5 made for Finland in 7.62 x 39. Always thought that was a better idea than a light rifle in 7.62 x 51.
No scopes on battle rifles.
Old September 22, 2017, 12:42 PM   #8
MarkCO

There is a significant difference between a "battle-worthy" AR pattern .308 and one that is a lower round count precision one.

If you were to go to a 3Gun match, where accuracy and durability were needed, you would see a lot of JPs, and in lessor amounts, some Seekins, Savage, DDs, LMTs and LaRues. You won't see any real representation of Les Baer or GA Precision in 3Gun, but you will see those in the PRS Gas gun series. Tighter chambers result in reduced reliability with higher round counts is the primary reason.

IMHO, for a battle rifle also capable of shooting in the Rigors of 3Gun, a Daniel Defense is hard to beat. For a precision gun, JPRifle, GA Precision or Les Baer are the three to look at. Consider the feature sets and get the one you like the best. Those are the three top drawer 308 pattern ARs. Of course, you can get those in 6mm or 6.5mm calibers and go a little further.

As for glass, NF, S&B, Kahles, Steiner are the 4 I would look at. I personally run Burris XTRII and they are all I need, but if the rich uncle is buying, go big.
Old September 22, 2017, 02:29 PM   #9
hdwhit

Heckler & Koch MR762

Although I would not argue too strongly with G.barnes suggesting Knights Armament SR25.

Now, if we were to change the question a little bit where I am no longer spending your money but my own, I would be looking at a S&W M&P-10 or a Savage MSR10.
Old September 22, 2017, 05:22 PM   #10
spacemanspiff

I know its hardly the 'bestest' but my personal eye has been on that Colt LE801 with both the 7.62 and the 5.56 upper so I can swaps them out on a whim.
With a Leupold 6.5-20x scope.

Yeah yeah, i know, neither are the bestest!
Old September 22, 2017, 06:38 PM   #11
Houndog

If money were no object and not necessarily looking for best value, a lot of people seem to love the KAC. Also, as another poster has pointed out, are you looking for most durable/reliable or are you looking for accuracy above all? A friend has an LMT and it is a tack driver. I own a Larue in 5.56 which I like a lot. Now if you are interested in a good value for a high end rifle, Larue is having a great deal - the ultimate upper. Basically they include everything but the lower receiver, which you can buy separately. Also, you have a choice of 7.62 or 6.5 CM,
Old September 22, 2017, 07:00 PM   #12
ronl

If it were a rich uncle buying, probably an LMT or Knights Armament with a Vortex Razor on top. Would it shoot better than my friend's DPMS( which does shoot very well), maybe; but I could brag about how much the rig costs.
Old September 22, 2017, 07:42 PM   #13
CalmerThanYou

Well I have spoke of the POF Revolution in the past. On my top 5 next to purchase list. Every review I read is very complimentary.
Old September 22, 2017, 07:55 PM   #14
Rockrivr1

I fall in the camp that just because you can spend as much as you want doesn't mean you really have too in order to get a great rifle. I've shot a few and decided upon a Rock River LAR8 w/ a Leupold MK4. Easily holds under MOA out to 200 yards, which unfortunately is the longest range in my area.
Old September 23, 2017, 07:10 PM   #15
GLK

LaRue or Knights
Old September 23, 2017, 07:48 PM   #16
agtman

Quote:
LMT, LWRC, or LaRue would work for me and I'd have money left over for ammo.
Agree on those three.

LMT's .308 MRP platform also gives you barrel-swap capability as well, not just in terms of preferred length (14", 16", 18" or 20"), but also for barrels chambered for 308-derivative cartridges.

Further, if it matters, the Brits adopted LMT's MWS MRP after extensive field trials involving the testing of many .308 battle rifles.

The MWS is the fully railed .308 MRP, whereas the LM8 variant is a tad lighter, being the same rifle without any rails at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. LMT offers attachable/detachable rail pieces for the LM8 in lengths of 2" thru 4", so you can 'customize' the set-up of your weapon, depending on what you feel needs to be to hanging on it at any given moment. (Remember: mission, or intended use, drives selection of items to add.)

Word to the wise: the .308 AR rifles get heavy very fast, especially if you're running any optic/mount combo weightier than a mini RD.
Old September 24, 2017, 04:00 AM   #17
stagpanther

Quote:
Word to the wise: the .308 AR rifles get heavy very fast, especially if you're running any optic/mount combo weightier than a mini RD.
bingo.
Old September 24, 2017, 05:45 AM   #18
Scorch

Armalite (of course)
Rock River
Les Bear
JP Enterprises
Knight
just to name a few . . .
Old September 25, 2017, 01:45 PM   #19
stagpanther

You might want to take a look at Wilson Combat's new xx308 base Ultimate and Ultralight Hunter AR's available in great calibers--they claim a base weight of 7.5 lbs--I often exceed that with my AR 15 builds.
Old September 25, 2017, 03:09 PM   #20
Stats Shooter

I have a Ruger SR 762.

My Federal GMM clone 175 gr smk load shoots 3/4" at 200 yards. Never had and FTF or FTE. It is piston driven, CHF 1:10 twist chrome lined barrel. Chrome chamber, chrome bolt. Max velocity with a stout 175 gr smk is 2523 fps in my gun. Gas block is adjustable. Barrel is threaded for a break or can. Barrel is heavy and fluted.

The trigger sucks, I replaced it with a timney single stage but it isn't any worse than any other mil spec trigger. I also put a PRS stock on it and a Leupold MK-AR Mod 1 scope.

I have won 2 different AR-10 competitions with that gun at 300 yards against about every other high end Maker.

I did a lot of research before buying mine, and while the Ruger ain't cheap, it is worth it in terms of accuracy, reliability, and features. The piston gas system and chrome bolt makes it look like it hasn't even been fired after 200 rounds.

I have actually beaten some guys using bolt guns.
Old September 25, 2017, 04:02 PM   #21
stagpanther

Quote:
My Federal GMM clone 175 gr smk load shoots 3/4" at 200 yards.
Wow--not sure I could do that with my creedmoor AR--or it would likely take a long time.
Old September 25, 2017, 06:34 PM   #22
mehavey

I agree that Bill Ruger's SR762 is truly an out-of-the-box jewel (and my stock trigger was great).
But I'm having a bit of trouble w/ ¾" at 200 yards

See: https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=10
Old September 25, 2017, 10:18 PM   #23
Stats Shooter

My load is the following.

Federal Premium brass annealed every 2nd load
Shoulder bump 0.003" with body die
Neck sized w/collet die
Brass sorted by weight +/- 0.5gr
Trim to minimum
Br-2 primers
175 gr smk sorted by Ogive
OAL avg 2.800"
43.4 gr IMR 4062 velocity approximately 2525

In Lake City 12 brass
All steps and case prep the same
Powder 41.3 gr IMR 4064
Velocity approximately 2416 fps

I can't get the same accuracy at the same velocity in lake City brass. I can get about 3/4 moa (1.5"@200) in lake City...and doesn't seem to matter if weigh each charge or just throw it.

In the federal Brass I get about 1" with thrown powder and about 3/4" if I throw AND weigh each charge..... takes a few tries on each case.

3/4" @200 is achieved with mechanical front rest and rear doctor bag, 18 power scope.

Factory federal GMM shoots about 1.25-1.5" at 200 with the 175's and about 2"@200 with the 168's

Oh and I need to emphasize the fact that the action is violent, and bullet movement within the case can be several thousandths of an inch, so I get the 1/3-1/2 moa accuracy single loading.

But in competition, I have to mag feed so I put a light crimp on it and get about 1.25" or so at 200 yards under those circumstances. I can't crimp enough on a non cannelure bullet to eliminate any setback without some bullet deformation.

I encourage you to try this load and see for yourself. But this wasn't the point of this thread however I had to defend myself

Last edited by Stats Shooter; September 25, 2017 at 11:14 PM.
Old September 26, 2017, 12:24 AM   #24
hdwhit

Quote:
TXAZ wrote:
Who makes the very Best AR in .308
His name is Mark. He works out of a small shop in rural Baxter County, Arkansas. He has been building AR-10s since the 1970s and in the intervening decades he has worked out all the kinks with the platform and with his network of suppliers.

I know about him because I engineered the jigs and fixtures he uses and my father, a master machinist, built them for him.

His rifles function flawlessly.
  • He does not advertise.
  • He has no website.
  • You have to find him,
  • Make a "pilgrimage" there, and
  • Convince him you are worthy of one of his rifles.

He has all his needs met so the amount you can pay doesn't sway him. He does not accept cash or credit cards. Like any true artist, he deals entirely in heads of cattle, barrels of oil or some other tangible good that can be traded on the commodities exchange.

Unless you're willing to become a latter-day Ozark Traveler, I suggest you look for what people regard as a serviceable rifle at a fair price rather than the "very best".
Old September 26, 2017, 02:19 AM   #25
Sequins

Mississipi, you just sold me a Ruger rifle. Thanks for that elegant defense- I've wanted to get a Ruger 7.62 for some time to match my SR556 and I think I just got there.