The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 20, 2015, 11:57 AM   #1
kerreckt

Lyman .50 Trade rifle

Just bought a Lyman 50 cal trade rifle. I would like to hear about anyone's experiences/opinions concerning this rifle. It has never been shot and was wall hanging "eyecandy". I will change the never shot status, shortly. Best wishes
Old June 20, 2015, 02:13 PM   #2
Pahoo

All good !!!

Quote:
experiences/opinions
Have the flinter and percussion and have can't say anything bad about them. They are made by the Big- [I] ; Investment Arms. Their wood and stock construction are better than our American Black Walnut. ......

Make-Smoke and;
Be Safe !!!
Old June 21, 2015, 12:34 AM   #3
bungiex88

I got a Lyman great plains but Lyman makes a good product
Old June 27, 2015, 09:54 AM   #4
grubbylabs

I have the .54 cal and I like it. Its been a fun rifle to shoot.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old June 27, 2015, 02:31 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Been working at Whittington Center's Adventure Camp as a muzzle loading instructor for the past two weeks. We've had more failures with Lyman Great Plains than the TC Hawkins. For some reason, the caps aren't igniting as frequently. I think their (coil) mainsprings are too old (but they are old guns). On the TCs, I had to pound on the wedges to expand them to make them fit tighter.
Old June 27, 2015, 03:42 PM   #6
FrontierGander

Using real black powder or subs?

The italian guns are real picky about bulky powders, they dont do a very good job tunneling towards the nipple in the powder channel.

You can see on this cabelas hawken * same as the lyman* its not funneled at all, just a wall and this doesnt allow the bulkier powders to flow freely.

Notice the nice smooth funnel shape that extends from the drum, into the breech plug on this CVA?
Old June 30, 2015, 06:54 PM   #7
Jimbo-Indy

I've been shooting a Lyman Trade Rifle in 50 (percussion) for about 6 years.No problems and it is quite accurate. My club shoots steel gongs out to 100 yards. It will do the job if my old eyes can get a good sight picture. My load is 60 grains of 3F Goex with.490 ball and .015 prelubed patch. Only wish is it had a set trigger.
Old July 3, 2015, 01:33 PM   #8
robinsroost

Keep

My only Lyman is a Great Planes Rifle, .54 caliber flintlock. The fit and finish is excellent, with nice wood. All of my rifles have double set triggers and I wouldn't do without them. Accuracy is good if I do my part. Keep yer powder dry........Robin
Old July 17, 2015, 12:14 PM   #9
Cbtengr

Lyman trade rifle

I have a Lyman trade rifle in .50 cal. Its a percussion and shoots ball very good. Working up different loads is great fun either black powder or Pyrodex.