The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 23, 2015, 11:21 PM   #1
Bake

Performance Shop/Custom Shop vs regular plane Jane run.

Are the guns that come out the Performance Shop/Custom Shop really worth all the extra money? Sometime 700 to 800 dollars more than the plane Janes of the same model...
Old January 24, 2015, 10:33 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

Generally the stock is cut to fit you, and the finish is upgraded. Internal parts are selected for fit, then finished so they work as if they were worn in on a 50 year old gun.
So the end result is a gun that functions as if the parts are on ball bearings and the stock fits you perfectly.

For the $800 extra you talk about, one can go out and buy 4 inexpensive guns that go bang when the trigger is pulled.

I would rather have one or two outstanding guns.
Old January 24, 2015, 12:04 PM   #3
BigJimP

Since you're asking in the shotgun forum....I'm assuming you are looking at something like the Benelli Performance shop models vs their standard models....

In the Benelli I am most familiar with...Super Sport the standard one is about $2,100...and the performance shop model is about $ 2,900....and in the performance model there are a couple of appearance items / and they claim the internals are polished a little more, barrels are backbored and forcing cones are lengthened.../ are those extras important...maybe / but probably not.

The standard model is a fine gun .../ but if you like the performance model better based solely on appearance and $ 800 is no big deal to you ..then buy it instead.
Old January 24, 2015, 02:05 PM   #4
Bake

Jag,

Surprised that you mentioned stock LOP. I assumed manufacturers would have 2 or 3 basic sizes and spacers and different butt pads to adjust the LOP. The upgrade of wood and finish would or could be covered with different models. I.E. Remington's 870 for example, Express vs Wingmaster. Both over the counter guns. I guess what I'm wondering about is the final assembly; fit, polish, and buffing.

Big Jim,

Well you nailed it. I'm thinking Benelli Super Sport. Many of the claims that the manufactures make, do not impress me. Spent too many years shooting pistol and rifle matches to buy all the hype. (retired from pistols, when my arms, started to grow too short) What I'm wondering is the Preformance Shop worth the extra 800, or would I be better off to buy the plane Jane and running $800 worth of my reloads thru it? Right now I'm thinking plane Jane and $800.00 worth of my reloads is the way to go...

Thanks for the input...
Old January 24, 2015, 02:12 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

Bake, sorry I was thinking outside of your box.
Old January 24, 2015, 04:05 PM   #6
BigJimP

I have Benelli Super Sport models in both 12ga ( 30" barrel )and 20ga ( 28" barrel ).....and they are both solid guns / I've had the 12ga for at least 10 yrs --- bought it when they were pretty new to the market / 20ga is at least 8 yrs old....

I use them as training guns for grandkids...and the 12ga as a Travel gun / where I don't want to take expensive O/U's ...and I want to travel with just one gun / that will do most everything pretty well. Its also a good foul weather gun ...rain, snow, etc.....and even with the bright receiver ..and polished barrels...I've camo taped it temporarily and used it for waterfowl too.

I keep both of them clean and well lubed... I use Rig spray oil #2 on the trigger and bolt mechanism when I fully strip the gun ....and Break Free oil on the rails where the bolt mechanism travels in the receiver. My guns will run even 7/8 oz loads in the 12ga / and 3/4 oz loads in the 20ga ( I reload ) ...but they have to be at 1200 fps or faster...neither of my guns will run a shell, even if its 1 1/8 oz at 1150 fps.../ so they need a little velocity to run reliably / but as long as they run 100% on shells at 1200 fps...I have no qualms about shooting one of them in a tournament.

I find the Crio barrels...and the Benelli chokes ...a little tighter than most other chokes ( so I shoot a Cyclinder choke for Skeet / and Imp Cyc for Trap from 16 - 20 yard lines / Mod or Imp Cyc most of the time for Sporting Clays....

They're not the best looking guns out there...although the grandkids like the black synthetic and the carbon fibre looking finish on them ...( but kids from 8 to 21 think anything looks cool in black synthetic ...)...

If I thought the Performance model was a significantly better gun ...I'd buy one / an acquaintance did have one at the gun club...and we stripped it down, and I couldn't see any significant difference in the internals...but back boring and lengthened forcing cones are good things ! But the standard models I have ...pattern just fine ...and recoil is soft ( although at 6'5" and 290 lbs...most any shotgun is relatively soft shooting to me )....but the 20ga in particular, is a gun I use to train the younger grandkids in the family ...and some of the granddaughters are pretty petite still...12 - 19 / and they all really like that 20ga at 6.2 lbs gross weight / and they like it even with full 7/8 oz loads in it....
--------------------------
If you didn't want to spend that much on a semi-auto .....I'd look at the Browning Silver series...gas operated semi-autos, alloy receivers...and I think they're pretty good guns in the $ 1,200 range or so ...and they have a lot of models to choose from...

I have a Silver series - Hunter model that I gave as a gift to one of the older grandkids...and its served him well.../ but they have at least 15 versions of them now....
Old January 24, 2015, 06:39 PM   #7
Bake

Good food for thought. There is no rush, as I mentioned in another thread, I have a old "HK" (before they were called Benelli) M-1 Super 90 w/20"(rifle sights), that I used in "3-Gun" matches before they were called "3-Gun" (Early to mid "80's). A couple of years ago I added a M-2 barrel (26") and a forearm to shoot skeet.

I didn't find the Benelli barrels and chokes to be too tight, when compared to my Wingmaster w/ the 30" fixed Full choke barrel, or my Winchester Model 12, also with a fixed full choke barrel. When patterning these older guns from the fifties & sixties, they will pattern tighter than some target rifles, can shoot groups.

Usually words like "backboring" and "lengthened forcing cones" are dirty words to a rifle/pistol shooter.

Last edited by Bake; January 26, 2015 at 10:49 AM.
Old January 26, 2015, 03:51 PM   #8
BigJimP

I understand....but I was comparing the Benelli Super Sport Cylinder choke...to one of my Browning O/U Invector Plus Skeet chokes... ( but I didn't say that in my original post...sorry)...

anyway...in the Benelli Super Sport...with a 30" barrel / or in their 20ga version..with the 28" barrel...../ their cyclinder chokes...give me a solid 30" pattern ..out to about 25 yds..../ which is comparable to my Skeet chokes on my Browning Over Unders with 30" barrels.

But just food for thought ....like your tag says ...use the pattern board...!!