The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2011, 11:43 PM   #26
Mal H
Staff

Loosen the die nut just a little, then take a pair of vise grips to the knurled portion of the die and start screwing the die out of the press. You'll be able to put a lot more force on the case than trying to use the handle. You'll bugger up the knurling just a little, but if you do it right, you won't even notice it later.

The twisting motion might aid in freeing up the case. Every now and then push up on the handle to see if it will come free.
Old August 1, 2011, 11:46 PM   #27
Jim243

Quote:
I'd normally agree with you, but this appears to be a Lee FCD for a straight-walled pistol cartridge. It has a carbide ring in the bottom that is supposed to post size any earlier mistakes. You can see the floating crimp ring in his second picture.
Yes, I would normaly agree with you also, BUT that is a die for a 44 special, different length case.

Jim
Old August 2, 2011, 12:02 AM   #28
Sport45

I just had another thought....

Did you successfuly crimp any rounds before this one?

If the crimp adjustment was set too far down, the crimp ring is upside down, or you have a piece of .445 brass there you may have crumpled the case between the crimp ring and the carbide ring. Pulling it back through the carbide ring on the down stroke is going to be a little more difficult since gravity isn't helping. It should still come out though. It may pull the rim off the case or pull the carbide ring out of the die. In either case, boxing it up and sending it to Lee would probably be the answer.
Old August 2, 2011, 12:16 AM   #29
Sport45

Quote:
BUT that is a die for a 44 special, different length case.
I believe Lee uses the same FCD body for .44mag / .44spcl.
Old August 2, 2011, 03:00 AM   #30
FrankenMauser

Yank on it, until success or failure.

Failure is unlikely.
Old August 2, 2011, 06:57 AM   #31
willrussellville

It is the 4th die. It will move up and down in the the die with the crimp ring moving with it. It is stuck in the crimp ring. Have not thought about the ring being upside down, very good possibility. I was frustrated with the crimp I was getting when this happened. I will try 2x4 after I hear from Lee. And yes, it lifts my bench off the floor. I am traveling for a couple of days, will be at least Thursday before I can get back to it. Will post afterwards, thanks for all the replies.
Old August 2, 2011, 07:28 AM   #32
wncchester

" It will go up but not any farther down. "

Don't be timid, it will come out if you pull hard enough. You likely over crimped and bulged the case at the mouth but it WILL pull out.
Old August 2, 2011, 08:01 AM   #33
Maxem0815

Put a pipe on the Handel gain extra leverage push until the rim comes off or case is out. You can also use a hand drill drill through the lead bullet put oil in the powder rendering it useless and then beat it out if need be.
I would go for the pipe on the end of the Handel to start.
Mace
Old August 2, 2011, 01:50 PM   #34
FrankenMauser

Rock Chucker presses are often used by bullet swagers, with handles as long as 48". The press can take a lot more stress than you think.
Old August 2, 2011, 02:45 PM   #35
tim s

Wrap the die with tape and grip it with vise grips and just unscrew it away from the case, it should'nt take more than 1-2 turns.
Old August 2, 2011, 02:52 PM   #36
Don P

Quote:
Very concerned about hammering a live 44 mag round..
Why? You are hammering on the "BULLET" A very good rule of thumb is that you must "HAMMER" on the "PRIMER" to make it go bang/boom/
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old August 2, 2011, 03:00 PM   #37
willrussellville

It will not screw away from bullet. Bullet is lodged in the crimp ring inside the die. Crimp ring simply spins inside die. I can unscrew the die but that doesn't help. Lee sent me an email that said throw it in a lake, it is a grenade. Problem is I can't get it out of die. I do appreciate responses but it will be Thursday before I can play again. All comments appreciated and read.
Old August 2, 2011, 03:10 PM   #38
mehavey

You can, however, unscrew the die (raising the case) to the point that the handle bottoms out at lowest position. That gives you greatest leverage.

At that point, use the previously-suggested pipe/cheater bar on that handle for even greater leverage and try again.

Failing that, rotate the shellholder 180o to where sliding it out of the ram's slot also slides it out of the case's extractor groove; completely unscrew the die/stuck cartridge combo; and ...

... throw it all in the lake.
Old August 2, 2011, 03:28 PM   #39
Hog Buster

“Throw it in a lake.”

This has to be the best customer service line I have ever heard....
Old August 2, 2011, 04:08 PM   #40
wild willy

In the second picture if you look about 12.00 it looks like your bushing is in upside down
Old August 2, 2011, 04:31 PM   #41
Koveras

I just took my 44 FCD apart and I believe you put the floating crimp ring in upside down. The bullet and possibly part of the case are jammed into the wrong end of the crimp ring and the case is probably partially bulged below it.

Pulling the case out will require a fair amount of force and it is more likely you either rip the rim off the case or knock out the carbide sizing ring.
Old August 2, 2011, 05:01 PM   #42
Locoweed

First, grab onto the cartridge case with a set of small vise grips and lock it in place (this keeps it from spinning and putting pressure on the ram during step 3). Second, loosen the lock nut on the die. Third, grab the die body with a small strap wrench (or a bigger vise grip if you feel adventurous) and turn it until it is free of the cartridge case. Fourth, examine your die to see if it assembled properly. Fifth, read the directions that came with the die again just to make sure you haven't overlooked anything.
Old August 2, 2011, 05:42 PM   #43
wild willy

If it was mine I would turn the shellholder and slide it of the case remove the die and cut the bottom off the case with a tubing cutter. Use a punch and tap the bullet out thru the top
Old August 2, 2011, 06:09 PM   #44
mehavey

WW:
Quote:
remove the die and cut the bottom off the case with a tubing cutter
+1
Old August 2, 2011, 06:56 PM   #45
Jim243

Quote:
remove the die and cut the bottom off the case with a tubing cutter
+2
Old August 2, 2011, 07:04 PM   #46
Twinsig

Good observation wild willy
Old August 2, 2011, 07:17 PM   #47
dunerjeff

The pipe cutter sounds best,anything that can get the bottom of the case off or at least weaken it to the point where any accidental discharge of the round would simply pop the bottom off and not allow too much pressure to build up.Just don't use anything that will heat the brass.Even a fine tooth hacksaw that is pushed real slow and work a groove around the base.
Old August 2, 2011, 09:11 PM   #48
jepp2

Quote:
Rock Chucker presses are often used by bullet swagers, with handles as long as 48". The press can take a lot more stress than you think.
Yes the Rock Chucker press is built very strongly, however it will take considerably more up force than down force. If you happen to tear the top of the ram off it is going to cost way more than the die costs. I mean a new Lee carbide FCD is only $16.

So I would follow the votes for Wild Willy way to remove the shell holder so now you just have a cartridge stuck in a die. Takes the press out of play. You might be able to pry it out. If that fails you can always cut the case in two as suggested.
Old August 2, 2011, 09:19 PM   #49
oldreloader

I doubt that the ram will give before the case. Like I said before.. IF IT WAS MINE I'd get a cheater pipe and 2X4 and Let'er rip!

Last edited by oldreloader; August 2, 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old August 2, 2011, 09:40 PM   #50
willrussellville

Ok, just got in and reading replies. A "duh" moment for me, hadn't thought about turning the shell holder around. And yes, makes sense the crimping ring is upside down, it was NIB and I didn't take it apart and check it. I was actually scratching my head and trying to get the crimp to work (live and learn). So, I think you guys have come up with better solutions than Lee so far..

There is no way to remove that live round safely. The die has now turned into a hand grenade. The only solution would be to dispose of the die (preferably in a deep lake). Please do not send the die back to us as it can harm the people carrying the package if it should detonate.

Thank You,

Lee Precision
4275 Highway U
Hartford, WI 53027
phone: (262) 673-3075
fax: (262) 673-9273