The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 11, 2011, 11:48 AM   #26
Mike38

Quote:
101 Airborne does not mean that there are 101 airborne units (there are only two...the 82nd and the 101), it is their name.

I knew by reading this thread to the very end I would learn something.
Old April 11, 2011, 12:13 PM   #27
Scorch

Quote:
101 Airborne does not mean that there are 101 airborne units (there are only two...the 82nd and the 101), it is their name.
That's strange. When did they get rid of the rest of them?? You know, the 75th, the 173rd, the 187th, the 319th, the 503rd, etc. All those other units with the title 'Airborne' attached to their name.

Oh, yeah, off topic. So sorry.

FWIW, IMR powders have a method to their madness, the number indicates the powder formulation and the granule size. And Hogdon was trying to replicate the military powders, and sold the surplus under their own name (the IMR and Hodgdon powders with the same numbers really do have a very similar burn rate, just not identical charge weights).
Old April 11, 2011, 12:39 PM   #28
jimbob86

Quote:
And, of course, there are SR-4759 and SR-4756, which apparently are too close NUMERICALLY for some people to discern the difference. And one is an extruded rifle powder while the other is a flake shotgun/pistol powder, so they don't LOOK anything like each other.
If you can not tell the difference between the number "6" and the number "9", then maybe reloading is not for you........ take up another hobby, like tic-tac-toe, or something.
Old April 11, 2011, 01:28 PM   #29
Jim243

Actually I thought that the 101st Company and 82nd Company where both part of the 503 Airborne Division. Maybe not but what does it matter.

I will make things easy for you.

For pistol use Win 231 for all calibers.

For rifle just use Hodgdon H-4895 for all calibers.

Now that's not too hard to remember is it?

Jim

Last edited by Jim243; April 11, 2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old April 11, 2011, 01:40 PM   #30
jimbob86

Quote:
For rifle just use Hodgdon H-4895 for all calibers.
You know, I reload for 4 different rifle calibers, and 4895 is unsuitable for any of the bullet weights I commonly load. I've never even considered it.
Old April 11, 2011, 02:07 PM   #31
Jim243

It's (4895) fine for standard weight bullets for caliber, but if you are loading for heavy for caliber bullets, you will want to use a slower powder and crimp to build to full pressure before release of the bullet, something like 4350 or 3031.

Just my 5 and 1/2 cents.
Jim
Old April 11, 2011, 02:45 PM   #32
Doodlebugger45

I guess I can kind of relate. When I first started reloading, it was only for pistols and at first there was only the jug of "good ole Unique". Pretty soon it was joined by a jug of "good ole W231". And so on. As soon as I would get a jug of powder I would create some loads and it would create a "personality" of sorts at least in my mind and I would easily recall my perceptions about it. As long as I tried new powders slowly enough, it was easy to keep them mentally pegged.

But when I took the plunge into rifle reloading, I didn't do it one caliber and one powder at a time. I was deluged by a whole bunch of new numbers and names at once. At first, they were just a bunch of numbers sitting on a shelf.

But fear not, once you qctually start developing and shooting some loads, then you will develop those same types of associations. It won't matter if it's "good ole H-4831" or "good ole Varget", you will remember your unique experiences with it whether it's a number or a name.

That said though, I will give Alliant credit for having a numbering scheme that makes a lot of sense. Their scheme of R-10, R-15, R-17, etc made a lot of sense and it was easy to automatically know where it fit into their internal applications. Of course, they have now upset the applecart with the advent of their Power Pro spherical powders numbered 2000, 3000, 4000, etc. At least their numbers have a systematic sense to them compared to things like 4895, 4350, 4831, 1000, Retumbo. What kind of gibberish is that?

Names don't really make it easier than numbers though. I happen to like some of the Ramshot rifle powders, but it wasn't until I actually used them that I could easily remember that Hunter was slower than Big Game.

Oh well, it's part of the mystique of getting into reloading I think. It keeps the newbie in awe of the old timers when they start debating the merits of RL-22 vs. H-4831. Do it long enough and you'll know the lingo too.