The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 8, 2011, 09:56 AM   #26
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The Lee Classic turret is a great press. Make sure you get the CLASSIC turret and not the "Deluxe".
Old April 8, 2011, 10:21 AM   #27
Nickwisenheimer

Quote:
If you don't want to confuse us, don't mix the types. There are no "turret single stage" presses.
Thank you the correction, didnt mean to confuse any one, but I do appreciate the input. Classic, classic, classic Ill have to remember that.
Old April 8, 2011, 10:36 AM   #28
bossman

Welcome, here's my .02, find a manual that uses your powder choice and bullet choice. It just makes things easier for starting out new , believe me you will still have a million questons.

It's a wonderful hobby. Take your time and have fun.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old April 9, 2011, 09:18 AM   #29
ksuequip

Hello,

I just got on this forum a couple weeks ago and got allot of great responses about how to start reloading. I have found that their are allot of great people to help you here and great advice as well. I would strongly suggest the book called the ABC of reloading like they told me. Great info for a newbie and clears up allot of unknowns.

I decide to get the Rock Chucker kit and love it. Granted nothing really to compare it to since i was new and first time ever reloading. I was torn between the lee kit you are looking at and the RCBS kit. What swayed me to the RCBS was the service you get from them. I heard allot of people say they were great and Lee was hard to get any answers from. So being new i thought it would be better to be able to get ahold of someone if i was in a pinch. I shoot my 40 more then anything else and it works great for me. The other caliber i use it for is my 30-06.

Enjoy your new hobby and good luck. The people are correct once you start it is allot of fun and the options are endless....

Goodluck...
Old April 9, 2011, 09:51 AM   #30
jmortimer

"I heard allot of people say they were great and Lee was hard to get any answers from."
Lee Precision has fantastic customer service. Never have heard "allot of people" say anything like this, in fact many great reports of fantastic customer service. It is no wonder Lee Precision is # 1.
Old April 9, 2011, 03:38 PM   #31
Lost Sheep

Classic Turret vs Classic Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickwisenheimer
Classic, classic, classic Ill have to remember that.
Both are cast iron, but the Classic Cast is a single stage.

Be absolutely sure of what you are ordering before hitting the "Pay Now" button.

As bad as Lee's naming convention is, it is not the most misleading. The powders, "Universal", "Universal Clay's" and "Clay's" are completely different powders.

Lost Sheep.
Old April 11, 2011, 05:10 PM   #32
jarhead315

new to reloading

I have been reloading for well over forty years now and it is the greatest hobby and one where you can save a lot of money if you shoot many pistols and rifles. I shoot the .45 acp, .44 magnum and the .460 S&W . Reloading saves me especially when I visit the range every week. I can shoot more and enjoy speaking with other guys who reload also. Welcome to the world of reloading Man.
Old April 11, 2011, 06:25 PM   #33
Bishop Creek

If you are just getting started, you will soon tire of a single stage press unless you are making precision rifle cartridges. Like another poster said, get this one, great deal:

https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41
Old April 11, 2011, 10:17 PM   #34
Nickwisenheimer

All I have been doing is reading in my manual and the net. My press arrives tomorrow, so far I ordered the press, the safety primer, caliper, and lee .40 cal dies. What else is a "must" have?
Old April 12, 2011, 12:58 AM   #35
Lost Sheep

3 Things are "Must Have", but there's more that are essential

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickwisenheimer
All I have been doing is reading in my manual and the net. My press arrives tomorrow, so far I ordered the press, the safety primer, caliper, and lee .40 cal dies. What else is a "must" have?
Without a press, dies and a way to mete powder, you cannot load, period. (Exception, the Lee Load-All, which is dead slow and uses a mallet to drive the process.)

These two, you cannot load without, physically. Press and dies.

Powder can be measured out by scoops, by scale or by a powder measure or a combination of those and it would be exceedingly foolish (or suicidal) to load without measuring your powder.

So, count three items as absolutely essential. Everything else adds safety, efficiency and speed.

The "more that are essential", though are necessary for reasonable safety. A loading manual with load recipes and instructions of how to go about the process. A pair of safety glasses (just in case a primer goes off, which is rare, but can happen).

So, five things HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended.

A way to place primers in the priming cup on the press is a great help (rather than using your fingers) and will speed things up as well as reducing the chance that skin oils will contaminate the primers.

Six things and your are reasonably set up for everything you can expect.

A bullet puller will enable you to disassemble any rounds you put together that are out of spec (or that you suspect might be). Loading blocks let you keep a batch of cartridges together conveniently. Micrometer will help measure things when you find that you want to measure something. Most store-bought bullets are the right size, so yo might not need the micrometer for a while.

As you load and develop your personal style, you will find things you would like to have. Pick them up as you go.

Having said that, let me share with you some posts and threads I think you will enjoy. So get a large mug of coffee, tea, hot chocolate, whatever you keep on hand when you read and think and read through these.

The "sticky" thread at the top of TheFiringLine's reloading forum is good, entitled, "For the New Reloader: Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST "
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171

The "sticky" thread at the top of TheHighRoad.com's reloading forum is good, entitled, "For the New Reloader: Thinking about Reloading; Equipment Basics -- READ THIS FIRST"
http://www.thehighroad.org//showthread.php?t=238214

"Budget Beginning bench you will never outgrow for the novice handloader". This was informed by my recent (July 2010) repopulation of my loading bench. It is what I would have done 35 years ago if I had known then what I know now.
http://rugerforum.net/reloading/2938...andloader.html

Thread entitled "Newby needs help."
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430391
My post 11 is entitled "Here's my reloading setup, which I think you might want to model" November 21, 2010)
My post 13 is "10 Advices for the novice handloader" November 21, 2010)

The first draft of my "10 Advices..." is on page 2 of this thread, about halfway down.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543

Minimalist minimal setup
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=107332

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439810

or if the links do not work, paste these into your browser

thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171

thehighroad.org//showthread.php?t=238214

rugerforum.net/reloading/29385-budget-beginning-bench-you-will-never-outgrow-novice-handloader.html

thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430391
(posts are #11 and #13)

rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13543

Minimalist minimal (the seventh post down)
rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=107332

thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439810

Good luck. Always wear eye protection, especially when working with primers and don't pinch your fingers in your press. Be safe. Always, all ways.

Lost Sheep