The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old April 1, 2000, 02:29 AM   #1
Darthmaum

I am curious, does the prohibition of carrying in a "government building" include the Post Office? This portion of the CHL Law is unclear, and I would appreciate some clarification, if anyone knows.

My local PO here in Dallas isn't posted, but I know that if they are included in the prohibition, they don't have to post.

------------------
"Liberty or death, What we so proudly hail... Once you provoke Her, rattling of Her tail- Never begins it, NEVER- But once engaged never surrenders, showing the fangs of rage. DON'T TREAD ON ME!!

"Many's the men who've battled foe
many the number slain,
many the lads have fallen though
Scotland shall rise again."
Old April 1, 2000, 02:45 AM   #2
Dr. J

Although I can't find it written anywhere, I believe that Post Offices are prohibited by Federal Law. Seems that I remember that from class.

Our local PO is posted, but with a sign different from any described in the CHL statutes.
Old April 1, 2000, 02:53 AM   #3
Darthmaum

Dr. J, thanks! I don't remember my instructor mentioning PO's in my class, but that in itself doesn't mean anything. I really wish the law was more clear on the issue...
Old April 1, 2000, 10:30 PM   #4
mjsarge

The state gov't buildings are covered in the Tx. CHL book. Federal buildings are covered by Federal law. They don't have to post the 30.06 sign. At least that's the word I got from my instructor.
Old April 2, 2000, 03:02 AM   #5
Larry P.

I thought the P.O. was a private corporation now, as opposed to an IRS office or some such.
Old April 2, 2000, 07:48 AM   #6
Cougar

No, the US Postal Service is still a US Government entity. You CANNOT carry a weapon into your local Post Office!

Your confusion probably comes from the fact that due to the restructuring of the Post Office Department in 1973, the move was made to take the newly created US Postal Service 'off budget' which means that must pay its own way. By sometime in the early 1980s the USPS no longer was given any sort of government subsidy. This is when postage rates went up dramatically in a short ammount of time from 18 to 20 to 22 to 23 cents per ounce for a first class letter in the span of three years. The government subsidies for non-profit mailings came off and caused those rates to increase as well. Everybody bitched, but it is history now.

The USPS in unique in the government as geing the only federal agency that swims on its own. No tax dollars are to be used for operations or overhead. The only revenue it gets is from the sale of postage. Even the pension plan of those older employees must be paid out of current USPS funds. The last such past-debt payoff was several years ago when the USPS was required to come up with 3.-something billion dollars to finish paying off the pension plan.

The USPS is still controlled by the Federal government, its Postmaster General is still appointed by the President of the US (POTUS) and the Board of Governors (the oversight commision) must approve all rate increases.

------------------
Remember, just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you!