The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 12, 2011, 09:41 PM   #1

Remington Model 788 30-30

My reloading partner and I have an interesting winter project. A friend of a friend has a bolt action 30-30 that he wants us to develope some loads for. Here's the thing, we are going to treat it like any other bolt action. We have some 150 gr Interbonds that we are going to try. We don't have to use the more traditional bullets that are required for tube magazined lever action rifles. We are going to be looking for measurements such as distance from the lands and we are not necessarily going to crimp the loads. We are going to work up our loads from a safe starting point and watch for pressure signs as we always do. However, I have been thinking of some of the obstacles such as bullet performance. That Interbond is probably designed to fly faster than the 30-30 is capable of pushing it. How will that play out in the field? Data is another concern. The 30-30 is very limited and most data calls for a round nose style bullet that gets a crimp. So, thats going to be a variable when we're using a ballistic tip boat tail. We are considering fire forming to the gun and then neck sizing the cases from then on. I guess I'm asking if anyone has any solid advise to give or has any other ideas that maybe we haven't thought of?

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old January 12, 2011, 10:05 PM   #2
GeauxTide

The biggest obstacle is the case itself, designed for 40k psi. You can probably push 2500 fps in the 22" barrel, putting you in 300 Savage territory. IMHO, 150 CoreLokts, Interlocks, and PowerPoints will give better performance at the velocity you'll achieve.
Old January 13, 2011, 05:06 AM   #3
Win_94

I use a 150gr SST with my 30-30, using IMR 4064, (I load them one at a time.) I crimp mine just in case I drop my cartridges. I don't have terminal ballistics data since Ohio doesn't allow hunting whitetail with it.

I also shoot 110gr FMJs using IMR 4064 without a crimp, which seems to work just fine.

I also neck size only unless I have problems cambering the round. Most will parrot the (not enough leverage to eject hotloads,) whereas I've experienced more trouble getting the leverage to chamber extended shoulders... If you get my meaning.

I've gotten the best results using VIHT N 135 in all bullet weights.

Good luck!
Old January 13, 2011, 06:56 AM   #4
DANNY-L

Just a note that I found out with the 788. When you are working with your brass be sure that they chamber smoothly because the bolts have a reputation for the bolt handle to break off of the bolt. I have'nt done it but I did here it from a smith that told me they can come off when forced a little bit.
Old January 13, 2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Jim Watson

The main limitation on loading spitzer bullets for a 788 .30-30 is magazine length. The ones I have tried have to be seated pretty deep. I don't see much room to adjust jump to the lands as for a target rifle.

As to expansion of a bullet meant for .30-06, look at the retained velocity.
A hot .30-30 with a high BC bullet will do at 200 yards what a .30-06 will at 400, or pretty close.
Old January 13, 2011, 10:44 AM   #6
PawPaw

There's no reason to re-invent the wheel on this quest, although I have to admit that I had the same questions when loading for my .30-30 Handi rifle.

Lots of good information over at Graybeard's forum, where the guys have been pondering this same question and have found some solutions. Some of the guys report real good results with Nosler Ballistic Tips. Others like Speer's little 125 grain spitzer. For myself, I've found good accuracy with the Speer 130 grain bullet, which is designed for lever guns.

Go over to the Graybeard forum and poke around. Lots of good information on pointy bullets in the .30-30. Here's the Link!

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 13, 2011, 11:00 AM   #7

Thanks to all and please keep the info coming

Thanks especially to Jim Watson and PawPaw. The Magazine length is a great point to consider and the link PawPaw provided was very helpful. We are not trying to juice up the loads and make a 30-30 on steroids. No. we are just trying to put together some hunting loads that may have a greater accuracy potential than that of what most lever action guys even consider possible. maybe we can, maybe not but, we have a winter project none the less.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old January 13, 2011, 11:05 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I assume that you ultimately intend to hunt deer with these loads? If so, I advise looking for bullets in the lower-middle end of the weight range. Deer are not hard to kill, speed will be more helpful than momentum. Sometimes, the lightest bullet you can get will have the flattest trajectory at practical ranges but usually it's something on the low-average side.

This is why you need QuickLoad, it gives you some grounding for your quest. I'll play around a little and see what it says....
Old January 13, 2011, 11:32 AM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a couple of suggestions from QuickLoad, with a reasonable tweak to the weighting factor down to .65, in case anyone is checking.

It thinks you could push a 110gr Hornady SP to around 2,800fps with several different powders...

a 125gr Sierra SP to a bit over 2,600 with several powders....

a 150gr Accubond (the interbond is not listed) to a bit over 2,300 with several powders.
Old January 13, 2011, 01:43 PM   #10
Scorch

I helped a friend develop loads for his .30-30 788. What we found:
* 168 gr BTs were hard to stabilize, but the Hornady flat-based 165 gr Interlock SP flat base shot well.
* 150 gr Hornady Interlock SP (flat base spire point) were the best bet all-around.
* We could easily load at published max or slightly above and got very good accuracy. Extraction was not an issue.
* We tried the loads under TC Contender data in order to find data that matched the bullets used, but ended up using rifle load data so we could use slower powders.
* We got good accuracy with 150 gr over W748 and IMR3031, got best velocities with IMR4320 and Reloder 7.

I believe you will enjoy the load development process and probably learn a lot.