The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 19, 2007, 12:09 AM   #1
stuckon308

Animal Most Wanted

Ok guys. I'm not completely sure if this has been asked, but I'll ask it anyway. Which animal eludes you? Which animal would you most like to hunt, yet haven't had the chance? And what kind of weapon would you like to use.

Personally I'd enjoy taking down a bison. I know, I know. They're not exactly intelligent animals and not exactly easy to find. But I've always wanted to hunt one. Perhaps one day when I have money to blow I'll buy one from one of the farms around my place (that isn't very sporting is it?). Next year I'm hoping to go out bear hunting, there's an abundance of them around and I have yet to go after one.
Old January 19, 2007, 12:34 AM   #2
trooper3385

I have several animals on the most wanted list. I'm going to South Africa for a plains game hunt in July. I'm looking to take a Gemsbuck, Kudu, Impala, warthog, Blesbuck, and Zebra. After the Africa hunt, I going to start looking into a black bear hunt. I'll probably wait a couple of years for that one. I would also like to go on a pronghorn Antelope hunt as well. I have several connections in West Texas that have a lot of Antelopes on there ranches. I just need to take to time and follow up on it. A friend of mine is a hunting guide on the King ranch and has offered to take me Nilgia hunting in the spring. I've shot several Nilgia over the years, but have never taken one to get mounted. I'm thinking about getting one mounted, but I'm starting to run out of space on my wall, especially after I go on the Africa trip. Guess I'm going to have to start looking for a new house. I'm going to take my 300 win mag and my 7mm Weatherby mag for the Africa trip. I would probably use one of those for the Black Bear hunt as well. I have a Remington 700 LTR in a 308 that I think would work perfect for the Antelope hunt.
Old January 19, 2007, 01:51 AM   #3
Scorch

Barren ground caribou and mountain goat. I want to hunt and shoot one of each, not because they are particularly nard to hunt, but becasue of the type of terrain where you hunt them would make it a memorable hunt.

And of course, I want to hunt Africa some day.
Old January 19, 2007, 04:17 AM   #4
banditt007

i'm a begginer hunter, so my list could fill this whole page. Anyhow what i really want to hunt is a good size wild boar down in south (usa) What i would like to use on the hunt is my winchester 1300 12 gauge, with a 18-20" barrel on her firing some dixie slugs (hard cast, full size, heat treated slugs, IE not made to expand just to drive a full bore size hole right through everything) So though not exotic and this and that, it what i want to hunt really badly. perhaps this spring/summer or next.
Old January 19, 2007, 04:25 AM   #5
iowain45-70

most wanted animal

for me it be a black bear a big one.
Old January 19, 2007, 07:45 AM   #6
GardDog223

Crocodile in Africa, Antelope in Montana, and to finish the Wild Turkey Grand Slam.
Old January 19, 2007, 08:01 AM   #7
roy reali

Legally?

The neighbor's barking dog!
Old January 19, 2007, 09:10 AM   #8
deerslayer79

This year has been the regular,run of the mill whitetail.since sept. 15 I have only killed two,and lost a very nice 8 pointer.
Old January 19, 2007, 09:58 AM   #9
rantingredneck

Never Elk hunted but always wanted to. Also wouldn't mind a muley or a moose.
Old January 19, 2007, 12:49 PM   #10
Fat White Boy

+1 on the Elk and Barren Ground Caribou. I'm gonna have to hurry, I'm getting old...
Old January 19, 2007, 12:56 PM   #11
auburnboattail

Tiger

Been fortunate enough to bag most of my North American wish list.
I would love to hunt Bengal or Siberian Tiger.
Old January 19, 2007, 03:13 PM   #12
TCman

Id like a Caribou or a Dall sheep with my Omega. Im still trying for turkey here at home. No luck yet
Old January 19, 2007, 04:10 PM   #13
taylorce1

300+ class Elk on public land and 50+ inch Alaska/Yukon Moose. Just to draw a Colorado Moose Tag. I would be pretty happy with anyone of these things.
Old January 19, 2007, 04:48 PM   #14
Bigfatts

I second the barren ground Caribou, in Alaska. I would take the .300 WSM and my brother with me for that one. Next is Pronghorn, not sure where, .243 looks promising for that, or 6.5x55.
Old January 19, 2007, 04:50 PM   #15
SD_Chop

a grizzly in alaska with my hand cannon
Old January 19, 2007, 05:13 PM   #16
Shooter 973

Animal most wanted?

Bigfoot!!!
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Old January 19, 2007, 05:28 PM   #17
Jseime

Bigfoot, The dodo bird, Wooley mammoth, Sabretooth tiger, and a white albino snorkasaurus.

Actually I'd like to get out and get tags for moose, elk, black bear, and antelope.

I have gotten mule and white tailed deer and i love that i just want to broaden my horizons.

Next fall I'll be out shooting geese and ducks with my new Mossy 500 as well.
Old January 19, 2007, 05:53 PM   #18
robc

Everything

I'd love to bag most of the animals that have been mentioned. The one that eludes me, that I have tried unsuccessfully to get, is bobcat. I hunt N. Minnesota through December for grouse, but I always set a couple of days aside for yotes in the same areas. I've never had a bobcat wander in. In fact, for all the time I've spent in the woods up there I've never even seen one.

Oh, and by the way, if I ever see a bigfoot I'm going to kill it and become more famous than all of you.
Old January 19, 2007, 07:08 PM   #19
masterhunter

I know this may sound crazy to some but I've always wanted...and this is number 1 on my list...a polar bear with my Matthews bow. number 2 would be a Kamchaka brown bear with same equipment.
Old January 19, 2007, 08:24 PM   #20
SavageSniper

Shooter you started it LOL. I swear I was thinkin' it too. My choice would be elk, moose, and a Kodiak.
Old January 19, 2007, 10:08 PM   #21
Clayfish

Living down south we don't have alot of big game, Just deer and hog. I would love to hunt elk with a bow in Colorado and hunt pheasant in S. Dakota.
Old January 19, 2007, 10:18 PM   #22
Huntzalittle

An Antelope

I'd like to hunt an Antelope! I hunted a few years in Colorado and a couple years in Wyoming for Mule deer and did OK. But watching them little antelope always made me wanna get a chance at one of them. I got a tag for Wyoming one year but was in the wrong unit to kill one. I had killed a nice mule deer buck and took off my shirt to gut him out when a really nice antelope buck came within 100 yards. Guess he was attracted by my white Tee shirt. I shoulda took him, but like I said, it was the wrong hunting unit.
Now that I am getting up in years and don't go out west, I regreat not taking that antelope. I've looked at some of the outfitter hunts but too rich for my pocketbook.
Maybe in the "Happy Hunting Grounds" we can pursue our earthly quest. But until then I'm gonna pound these freakin whitetails in the ground!
Old January 20, 2007, 01:43 AM   #23
Kato_Guy

Ever since I was little I always wanted to shoot a kangaroo!!! I dont even know if it is legal But always wanted to smoke one of those things!!!

Other than that the normal elk, bear, antelope, moose, caribou.
Old January 20, 2007, 02:32 AM   #24
stuckon308

Actually Kato I think it is legal to kill kangaroo. I think I seem to remember hearing people hunting them anyway. I just couldn't bring myself to do that.
Old January 20, 2007, 03:52 AM   #25
Taurus_9mm

Tyrannosaurus rex. Seeing that I missed that window of opportunity by several million years however, I'd opt for Cape Buffalo and a Polar Bear.