The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 21, 2000, 12:01 PM   #1
Guy B. Meredith

Just a couple of questions:

Is it a good idea to purchase used reloading equipment?

Over the net?

Where are these posted for sale?

What to look for?

How to price?
Old February 21, 2000, 01:12 PM   #2
jtduncan

Best site so far: eBay, gunbroker.com.

No problem buying used. the stuff is designed to be industrial. Just only buy single stage and turret presses used.

For the money, you'd be better off buying a new Dillon if you're looking for a progressive unless you really know the previous owner or really trust the dealer.

I'm looking to - call estate brokers. tell your wife to loook at garage sales too. My wife is alrewady looking at guns and rifles sold at garage sales for me.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter
Old February 21, 2000, 05:36 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I like to feel and fondle used stuff, generally, so I'd rather watch ads and go to gunshows for used reloading equipment.

On used scales, look at the pivot-wedge edge of the balance. Should not be any dings or nicks.

Take a die apart, and look for scratches in the resizing chamber, and on the expander plug...

Hope this helps, Art
Old February 22, 2000, 06:57 PM   #4
sundog

You would be surprised at the amount of used stuff i have accumlated and use almost daily, i was when i though about it. It was obtained from garage sales, individuals, swap meets, gun shows, etc. How about RCBS Junior - $20, 2 Lyman 450 Lubrisizers - $20 apiece (25 years apart), RCBS lubrisizers with 6 dies and top punches - $65, RCBS Rockchucker with seven or eight sets of dies - $100, and the list goes on and on. Oh, and not one, but three good balance beam scales for $15 apiece! Point is, look around and the deals are out there. Sometimes new is nice, but sometimes extra denero for primers is nice, too. I've been at this for thirty years, so don't think you can accumulate this stuff in a weekend. The good deals come once in a blue moon, so be prepared to recognize them. sundog

------------------
safety first
Old February 23, 2000, 09:19 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

If buying used get RCBS - warranty is for life.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old February 24, 2000, 02:06 AM   #6
Paul B.

While cruising a gun show, a guy had a box with about 10 .44 caliber bullet molds. One was by LBT. I asked how much. He said $80. For an LBT mold? No! Thje whole box full. They now have a new home. All the molds were like new, except for one.
One day at a swap meet, the guy had a box of reloading stuff. Wanted an $100 for the whole box. A Rockchuker press, RCBS Competition dies in .308 Win. RCBS scale, powder measure, and more stuff that I can't even recall. Also got a new home.
My best buy? A guy had 10 boxes of 8.8x51MM brass. What is hell is that? He didn't know, and I wasn't sure. A buck a box, and I figured I'd sell them to one of the ammo collecters at a gun show. Turns out it was Winchester .358 Win. ammo for export. I have a .358, so I'm a happy camper.
Paul B.
Old February 24, 2000, 10:40 AM   #7
Guy B. Meredith

Well, gun shows are getting scarce around the SF Bay Area, so looks like I'll need to do my shopping sooner rather than later.

Hmmm... Couldn't be so lucky as to find a show in the Lewisville area of Texas while I'm down there next week?