The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 11, 2006, 06:34 AM   #1
sylvesterRT

refinishing pistols

I have reciently bought 6 S&W 586s, (avg $100) all of them were police academy training pistols. 4 were in good shape 2 of the 4 are becoming PPC guns scheduled for repluing this week.

The last 2 of the 6 are rough, lots of heavy pitting but mechinacly sound. What kind of finish can I have applied to hide pitting or make it less noticable. These two guns will never be prized (by most) but will be dependable and worthy of shooting or duty in a camper or tackle box.

I am thinking maybe plating or parkerizing but i am not sure if that will cover pitting?

The other 4, will al be reblued with no noticable problems.
Old March 11, 2006, 09:35 AM   #2
Hunter Customs

One of the spray and bake finishes may be a good choice if the pits are not real deep.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old March 12, 2006, 02:54 AM   #3
cntryboy1289

Durafil

If you choose to, you can fill the pits using a product from Lauer's Weaponry called Durafil. Once the pits are filled, the smith can apply any of the Duracoat colors to the gun. I use it a good bit on military rifles that come into the shop. I normally apply a Park paint over the Durafill on these, but like I said, you can apply any color you wanted to.
Old March 12, 2006, 08:01 AM   #4
Mac's!

Whatever kind of finish you apply to them, it's very important that all of the rust..even down inside the pits.... is removed. Otherwise, it will return and ruin the new finish from underneath. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.
Tuff-Gun Finishes. The Name Says It All.
Mac's Shootin' Irons
http://shootiniron.com