The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 8, 2005, 09:12 PM   #1
4x4

Ruger Red Label Question ???

I was looking at buying one of these guns however I rec'v some negative feedback on another forum about one of these guns "doubling". The guy said that it fired both barrels at once when he pulled the trigger. He sent it back to Ruger and it happened a 2nd time and then he sold it.

First I have ever heard anything bad about any Ruger. Any comments? Are these good guns. Anyone have one with lots of shells/use thru it?
Thanks
Dave
Old September 9, 2005, 06:55 AM   #2
kudu

I used one for several years as a main skeet competition gun. It had well over 40-50 thousand rounds through it. It did go back to Ruger twice. It was not shooting the second barrel reliably after about 30K rounds and had some wear issues that were taken care of for free by Ruger minus my shipping to them. The second time it was something else that I cannot remember what it was about.

There is a lot of negative coments made by people that have never shot one enough to make an informed opinion of them. Yes, I'm sure that there has been a case that a gun has doubled before, just like about any other double gun out there with mechanical triggers in it. I would say you have one gun out there out of several hundred thousand that did that, a lemon.

I would say the other forum you refer to has lots of gun snobbery going on in it, and I think I know which one. If it's not the XYZ super gun, then it's not worth having, and this gun is awful and this one is the 'best'.

I believe the Red Label is about the best value for the money out there in an O/U configuration, it's not a Krieghoff or a Perazzi, but you can buy 7 or 8 of them for what either of the other two cost.
Old September 9, 2005, 08:07 AM   #3
HSMITH

I agree with Kudu.

I have had a Red Label Sporting model for probably 10 years, and have shot it a LOT. It has never bobbled.
Old September 9, 2005, 03:46 PM   #4
dakotashooter2

Nobody I know personally has ever had any problems with them. Some guys complain that they are a big bulky gun and every time I pick mine up I have to ask myself "compared to what"? Must be some 10 K plus gun cause from what I've seen they are right in there with the brownings and weatherbys that cost $500 more, in that category.
Old September 12, 2005, 05:31 PM   #5
malachi

I have not put near the rounds through mine that kudu has, but I do hunt with it often. No problems, and it patterns better than any shotgun I own.
Don't remember what year I bought it. Paid 800 out the door if that is any indication.
Old September 13, 2005, 09:06 AM   #6
rugerfreak

I think the doubling issue is something like limp wristing a semi-auto pistol.

My buddy's wife would get doubles when shooting his Red Label----when either of us shot it----we could never get the gun to do it.

I think the mechanical triggers and the way someone takes on the recoil of the shot makes pulling the trigger for the second shot seem like a double when in fact its just bad or inexperienced gun handling.
Old September 13, 2005, 06:22 PM   #7
K80Geoff

They are solid reliable guns. They lock up tight. Triggers are heavy, but no moreso than other US made guns.

Problems I encountered with my 20 GA Sporting: the ribs rattle. They are soldered at the front and back and dovetailed into the posts along the barrel. Some rattle, some do not. Some people don't care.

The stock is the weak point and can crack where it joins the barrel. Ruger advises to be careful when re mounting the stock and not over tighten the bolt.

The auto safety is annoying, ruger will remove it for you. The guy I sold my 20 to did it himself.

The 12's are generally considered to be excessive in recoil, YMMV.

I liked my 20, sold it to upgrade.