The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 8, 2000, 02:04 PM   #1
MMM

I've got a 9 mm carbine that I enjoy shooting but it's clear that anything more than 50 yards out is beyond the limits of my eyesight to shot with any kind of accuracy.

Would appreciate recommendations on relatively inexpensive scopes or aiming devices that would help. This would primarly be used for target and varmint shooting at under 100 yards. The rifle has a weaver style mount to replace the std. open sights so any suggestions on rings to go with it would also be appreciated.
Lastly, would appreciate suggestions on what to look for in these scopes and regarding red dots, explaing MOA and how it is used rating scopes. Thanks in advance.
Old February 9, 2000, 01:03 PM   #2
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

MMM, I have a Bushnell 4x32 on my SKS, an Armsport 4x15 on my Marlin 60, and a Tasco Pronghorn 4x32 on my Marlin 1895. The Tasco was the most expensive at a big $35.

Since you want to put one on a 9mm carbine, I'd say go with something basic. A gun like that isn't meant for tack-driving. 4-power should do you fine. That said, if you want to do varminting, you might want something a little meaner than 9mm.

You can get Weaver See-Thru rings which allow you to use your iron sights. That's the setup I have on my 1895 and it works great.

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson