The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 1, 2017, 01:17 AM   #1
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

National Microstamping Law

You just knew it had to happen, right?

One of the YouTube channels I subscribe to (TheGunCollective) has a new video (Firing Pin Microstamping Law? - The Legal Brief!) https://youtu.be/eKZtvMXLwPg

House Bill 3458

This is a national Microstamping bill. It most likely will go nowhere. But is has been introduced and has 12 cosponsors.

So I thought it would be at least fun to report on this. Why? you might ask. Because an awful lot of us keep telling you that the gun laws in CA eventually affect all of us. But as always, there are many of you that know better and keep telling us it won't happen.

Well... here it is. A national bill.

As I said above, it most likely will get buried in committee and go nowhere. The problem is that now that it is a national bill, you can bet there are certain states that will copy it and add it to their own "gun violence" legislation. Which is, I believe, the entire purpose of this bill.
Old September 1, 2017, 07:04 AM   #2
TXAZ

Not going to happen.
Having someone write up a wacky bill and submit it doesn't make it law.
While some (adjectives deleted ) lawmakers have a history of proposing garbage bills to grandstand for their home crowd to say "I tried", this one as you noted will die in committee.
Some of the sponsors will likely make a campaign of this but it's DOA.
Micro stamping has so many flaws that anyone that can spell google can find several easy ways to remove the micro mark.
Yes we must be vigilant but this isn't a serious national threat, nor do I believe state level threat.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes

Last edited by TXAZ; September 1, 2017 at 07:11 AM.
Old September 1, 2017, 07:20 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Maybe it's time to go ahead an buy a few new firing pins for the pistols that I have . . .

Anyway, I find the list of cosponsors telling. IL, NY, CT, and MD reps are, of course, on the list.
Old September 1, 2017, 07:43 AM   #4
kozak6

I think the most amazing thing about microstamping law is that microstamping is basically fictional technology.
Old September 1, 2017, 09:18 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Having someone write up a wacky bill and submit it doesn't make it law.
Unless your state has a referendum process, and a significant population difference between the "left coast" and the rest of the state......

Then, a wacky bill CAN become law. All you have to do, after having your pet bill defeated MULTIPLE times in the legislature, is get it on the ballot via the referendum process,

THEN, using out of state money, run a series of LYING TV ads, claiming that passing the law will prevent domestic abusers from getting a gun. Scare enough people in the I-5 corridor, they will pass anything, and make it law for the entire state. It worked in Washington.

And don't think the obvious fact that microstamping can be defeated with a new firing pin or a file to make ANY difference. We've discussed this before, and at length.

Quote:
I think the most amazing thing about microstamping law is that microstamping is basically fictional technology.
NO, its NOT fictional technology. It does exist, and until very recently was patented, and proprietary to one company. Now, I understand its not (correct me if I'm wrong, please).

What is fiction is claim that microstamping would help police, or reduce crime.
Old September 1, 2017, 10:07 AM   #6
ATN082268

<What is fiction is claim that microstamping would help police, or reduce crime.>

If bills were required to be effective in order to become law, then most wouldn't become law unless their effectiveness was defined as not working or failure.
Old September 2, 2017, 12:05 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee
Anyway, I find the list of cosponsors telling. IL, NY, CT, and MD reps are, of course, on the list.
Hardly surprising. They've never encountered an anti-gun bill they wouldn't support.
Old September 2, 2017, 12:12 PM   #8
JoeSixpack

People have already picked it apart.
Even if it was impossible to defeat it would just make every piece of brass you ever shoot a liability, imagine picking up a handful of brass at the range, go kill someone and sprinkle brass all over.. good luck with the investigation they only solve about 50% of murders as it is.

I don't see it ever becoming federal law, But stranger things have happen.

BTW didn't CA already pass such a statelaw? wonder how that's working out.
Old September 2, 2017, 02:26 PM   #9
Nathan

Goes back to our fundamental law making problem.

You should be required to list specific numbers your law plans to achieve and the method to achieve them and by when. Then require 1 government and 1 private organization both agree your law passed the targets to stay as law, a reasonably short time.

So, your law might read,

Increase FBI statistics murder solution rate by 10% by microstamping fired cases within 5 years after 2 years to develop and implement.

Then they vote and pass the law.

Then with every murder, Leo must count solved vs unsolved and did microstamping assist in solving.

Then Gov and one paid data crunching organization review the data. Congress reviews and votes to make permanent.

This kind of method will stop stupidity. Law proponents will quit claiming 100% fix and people will quite buying into martial law style measures for 2% change in murder rate!

There also ought to be a 1-5 page length limit on all bills. If it can't be said in 5 pages, it is a lie....or full of buried crap.
Old September 2, 2017, 06:56 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
There also ought to be a 1-5 page length limit on all bills.
So, instead of one 500 page bill, we'd wind up with 100 5 page bills, which would slow things down even worse.

Few Congressmen actually READ each bill cover to cover. They rely on staffers for that, and they read summaries, prepared by their staffs.

Consider for a moment the TIME it would take to argue and vote on each bill. One vote on a 500 page bill is still only one vote. 100 votes on 100 5 page bills would take a huge amount of time.
Old September 2, 2017, 07:45 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44_AMP
Consider for a moment the TIME it would take to argue and vote on each bill. One vote on a 500 page bill is still only one vote. 100 votes on 100 5 page bills would take a huge amount of time.
You say that as though it might be a bad thing ... ???
Old September 4, 2017, 11:15 AM   #12
DaleA

Why, oh why, do we have to suffer these idiotic bills? A cursory review reveals all the fatal flaws in these proposals. Now some of our law makers will have to dredge this dreck up again. Bah! Where has ‘common sense’ gone?

It reminds me of the joke about the blond, late at night, looking for her lost car keys under a street light. A well intentioned passerby stops to help and after a few minutes asks the blond if she remembers where she dropped the keys.
“Over there in the dark alley,” says the blond.
“Then why are you looking for them over here?”
“Because the light’s better.”

Why are our law makers messing about with something they know won’t do what it says it will do?

Did no one learn anything from the attempt to have all the gun makers send in a bullet from every gun to the big database? The theory there was any bullet recovered from a crime scene could be matched to the gun that fired it and then the gun could be traced to its owner. IIRC they TRIED that and it didn’t work. Don’t “they” ever learn?
Old September 4, 2017, 12:15 PM   #13
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

"They" learn that such inane laws will help to get them re-elected.

"They" learn that this type of law will reduce the number of handguns offered to civilians. Which is part of what they want. It is a step in the direction of getting rid of all civilian guns.
Old September 4, 2017, 12:25 PM   #14
JoeSixpack

Common sense? what's that?