The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 15, 2017, 03:58 PM   #26
dahermit

Quote:
"...Take them to the local scrap yard..." Cost you more in gas than you'll get.
The local Walmart I visit about twice a week happens to be just in front of a salvage yard. I keep a bucket into which I deposit any scrap brass that I develop in my hand loading process. The bucket weighs nearly 40 lbs. at this point...spent primers and split cases. The scrap brass rate today was .90 per lb. That comes out to about 36 bucks...not a waste of gas money inasmuch as it will not take a special trip.
Old August 15, 2017, 08:12 PM   #27
Tsquared

Like others: The round is a nogo. Pull bullet for target reload, reclaim powder to be used in the wife's rose garden. Reclaim primer and use for target ammo. Add the brass case to the brass recycling bin (it will go to local brass recycler).

I use spent powder cans for spent primers and bad brass. When I five bottles I will scrounge up all the other metal that needs to go to the recycle place and even hit my neighbors. I usually do this once a year. It is good for $30-40.
Old August 15, 2017, 08:38 PM   #28
roashooter

In my post I asked what others will do with a split case.....

Quote:
You are not doing a good job of reloading if you find a split neck after the round has been loaded.
This response....really sums it up.

I reload ...a lot ...use cases till they do split..(or the primer pocket goes bad)..I find them after shooting...when resizing...when flaring...and I toss them...

I use a single stage press and it gives me the quality control I want.

I want the best ammo... patience and attention to detail will provide.

Most of the split cases I find are after the belling/flaring of the brass...and get tossed.

So when I see the loading sequence of turret or progressive presses....I see that the brass is resized-deprimed-reprimed....and the belling of the case takes place at the same time as the powder drop. I just wanted to see how many find this loss of primers...sometimes bullets-powder...just for the sake of expediency. I know we are talking mere pennies...but it seems to me that many accept this as acceptable.

I rather get it right the first time..and not go through the time and effort to salvage the components...after a split case is found.
Old August 15, 2017, 10:35 PM   #29
cw308

After cleaning the cases your looking for splits , when cleaning a lot of brass You could miss some , I don't reload large quantities at a time , 50 cases of 45 acp or 30 cases of 308 so splits are much easier for me to find.before I go any further.
Old August 16, 2017, 08:45 AM   #30
rclark

Talking revolver cases. If I catch a lip split while reloading, it is tossed in the trash. Otherwise it gets shot. No biggie. Remember all the case is, is a convenient way of holding all the components together. The cylinder walls, handle all the pressure (or the barrel in a Pistol).
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old August 16, 2017, 02:31 PM   #31
hdwhit

Quote:
roashooter wrote:
...what do you do when you find a round with a split casing neck?
Into the recycling bucket.

Once you have 20 or 30 years experience with straight-wall pistol cases you will be able to judge whether or not a tiny split near the mouth is just from local cold working of the brass where it was crimped into the bullet and thus safe for "one more ride", but until you have accumulated that experience, just be safe and pitch it.

Mouth splits and Neck splits in bottleneck cartridges are another matter entirely in my opinion and I don't give them a second look before they are on their way to the smelter.
Old August 16, 2017, 02:40 PM   #32
hdwhit

Quote:
Don Fisher wrote:
...silver solder the crack together...
"Then he got an idea... an awful idea. The Grinch got a wonderful, awful idea."
-- Theodore Geisel

;-)
Old August 16, 2017, 05:32 PM   #33
disseminator

^^^^^^^^^^
The nice part is, the brazing will also anneal the brass so win win.

Old August 17, 2017, 11:30 AM   #34
mikld

Pull the bullet. Save the powder. Remove the primer for future use. Smack the case with a hammer (8 oz. ball peen is preferred) and toss it into the scrap bucket (or if you're not saving scrap brass, throw it in the trash)...K.I.S.S.