The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 30, 2013, 05:51 PM   #1
M1Rifle30-06

Glock 21 Kaboom

I shot a friend's Glock 21 and really want one for self defense. But I keep reading about these kaboom stories. The last thing I'd want during a self defense situation is my gun to blow up on me, and it'd be a bummer on the range too. People seem to disagree about what causes a kaboom.

What exactly causes a kaboom? And are there any documented figures/percentages to how often it happens?

The more I shoot the 21, am I playing the odds? Will it catch up with me?
Old January 30, 2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Jimboski

I never heard of that issue, where are you reading this? And it sounds like a "kaboom" would be likened to a round going off before it leaves the barrel or while it is still in the gun...correct me if I'm wrong folks, and I probly am...
Old January 30, 2013, 06:06 PM   #3
M1Rifle30-06

Quote:
I never heard of that issue, where are you reading this? And it sounds like a "kaboom" would be likened to a round going off before it leaves the barrel or while it is still in the gun...correct me if I'm wrong folks, and I probly am...
From most accounts, a "kaboom" is when the case head ruptures and causes a catastrophic failure during firing. Of course then there's the danger of a kaboom with "squib" loads but every gun is subject to that.

Google "Glock Kaboom", you'll see many results.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Nathan

It would be hard for a Glock 21 to kaboom. My understanding is that a Glock kaboom is a case split due to poor head support in high press rounds like 40 & 10. A 21 is a 45 ACP which runs at about 1/2 40 pressure.

The Kaboom is the case burst and usually the damage is cause by the gas jet cutting parts.

I'm not really in the know about kabooms though.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:36 PM   #5
laytonj1

Only one Glock ever kaboomed.
The Glock bashers passed around the story on the internet so much that people actually believe that Glocks are grenades.

Jim
Old January 30, 2013, 06:41 PM   #6
shootniron

Quote:
Only one Glock ever kaboomed.
The Glock bashers passed around the story on the internet so much that people actually believe that Glocks are grenades.

Jim
Yeah, the only gun that ever had an "event" specific to it added to the gun nomenclature.
Old January 30, 2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Strafer Gott

.45 acp has got to be one of the safest rounds ever. G-kaboom would be my last worry, and the model 21 is very desirable. It's next on my list to buy. LGS is going to get a delivery this week. I hope they get a model 21 in.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:18 PM   #8
arch308

I have owned two G21's and loved both. It is a fantastic weapon and extremely reliable. My first, a Gen 2, ran alot of +p ammo before it was stolen with no problems what so ever. They actually seem to prefere hot loads IMO.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:24 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

A "kaboom" is a term used for any gun (not just a Glock) blowing up. But there is no single cause of blow ups and they are not limited to any specific make or model of firearm.

Some Glocks have less case support at the bottom rear of the chamber than some other guns, and there have been substantiated reports of case blow out at that point. When that happens, the high pressure gas enters the action. The usual result is a destroyed magazine, a badly bulged frame, a bent slide, blown off or broken stocks (when the stocks are separate from the frame), and possibly an injured hand for the shooter.

The symptoms of a blowout due to lack of case support are very similar to those of a blowout due to firing out of battery, and the two are often confused.

Other "kabooms" I have seen reported have obviously been due to such causes as firing a round with an obstruction in the barrel, firing an extreme overload, or simply having the gun go off unexpectedly, none of which result from lack of case support.

Jim
Old January 30, 2013, 07:44 PM   #10
454me

I had a model 20 blow up and have seen 2 others both 40 s&w. The case ruptures out the bottom and sets off rounds in the magazine. It sends plastic up both arms and I had a piece removed from my forehead a week later when the spot kept bleeding. I got rid of all my Glocks after that. Once was enough for me. There are pictures of it in the link in my signature.

http://community.webshots.com/user/454me
Old January 30, 2013, 07:44 PM   #11
shootniron

Quote:
A "kaboom" is a term used for any gun (not just a Glock)
"Kaboom" was never heard of until the Glocks started doing it...then it started being used to describe events across the spectrum. It was a "blow up" prior to the Glocks. When it is mentioned now, the first thought that enters the mind of most gun folks is Glock.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:48 PM   #12
chris in va

The 45acp cartridge is almost half the pressure of the 40. It's really a non-issue.

Consider a 30s instead. The 21 has a very severe grip angle.
Old January 30, 2013, 07:58 PM   #13
Tactical Jackalope

lol "Glock Kaboom"

Any gun can kaboom. Usually it's an ammo issue. Over charged round.

If it's an unsupported chamber though, that can do it too.

Don't worry about that..

Quote:
"Kaboom" was never heard of until the Glocks started doing it...then it started being used to describe events across the spectrum. It was a "blow up" prior to the Glocks. When it is mentioned now, the first thought that enters the mind of most gun folks is Glock.
Really? That's hilarious. Hk's kaboom, 1911's, SIG's....all guns can.

That's a nice little rumor. But that's all that is. A rumor.
Old January 30, 2013, 08:12 PM   #14
SPEMack618

As a Glock 21 owner myself, I've heard of the Glock Ka-Boom stories as well.

I seem to recall that they were guns in use by the Portland Police Department. For what it is worth, Glock seemed to have problems with the investigation results from the Portland PD.

Also, I've read that they were Gen 2 models, with less chamber support than current Glock 21s.
Old January 30, 2013, 08:15 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think I heard the term before Glocks were ever invented, but the action itself is not limited to Glocks. I have personally known of only one Glock kaboom, and it was not really a kaboom anything; it was a bulged barrel in a .40 Glock apparently due to a barrel obstruction. I believed then and still do that it was due to the shooter loading a 9mm into the magazine and having it feed up and into the barrel. The shooter stated that a round failed to feed and that he racked the slide again. IMHO, the 9mm fed and chambered then went far enough down the barrel to be out of sight so that the shooter thought he had a failure to feed.

Jim
Old January 30, 2013, 08:22 PM   #16
TK0218

I heard it is the .40 caliber that correlates with a "Kaboom" and not just Glocks. That's why I stick with the 9mm and .45 acp.
Old January 30, 2013, 08:43 PM   #17
M1Rifle30-06

Quote:
I had a model 20 blow up and have seen 2 others both 40 s&w. The case ruptures out the bottom and sets off rounds in the magazine. It sends plastic up both arms and I had a piece removed from my forehead a week later when the spot kept bleeding. I got rid of all my Glocks after that. Once was enough for me. There are pictures of it in the link in my signature.

ugh... I don't like hearing that
Old January 30, 2013, 09:02 PM   #18
sandbag

Lone Wolf Barrel

If you have the Glock 20 or 20SF consider getting a Lone Wolf aftermarket barrel.It has better case head support and can shoot reloads(i.e. lead) and factory lead hunting rounds with no problems.It drops right in-no gunsmithing needed.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:15 PM   #19
Crankgrinder

look up "blown up smith 629" and see what you come up with
Old January 30, 2013, 09:16 PM   #20
erhodes

The only time that I have ever seen or heard of a glock "kaboom" is when there was a double or even triple charge of powder in the bullet casing. This can happen because of a problem with quality control at the manufacturing plant (very rare and they will post a recall of that ammo) or more likely someone not paying attention when they are reloading their own rounds. It will not happen if there is nothing wrong with the ammo. I have shot over 10,000 rounds through my glock 21 and never had a problem.
Old January 30, 2013, 09:30 PM   #21
Jim Watson

I was standing there (Andre Norton Space Trader lingo, standing there, landing there, rumor range) for a rare double KaBoom, same stage of an IDPA match, consecutive or only one shooter between.

First the G21 .45. The casehead blew out, the magazine ejected but did not gang fire, the gun did not grenade.
Then the G22 .40. The casehead blew out, the extractor departed for parts unknown, the magazine ejected but did not gang fire, the gun did not grenade.
Loads were conservative, below maximum IDPA power floor loadings. There was no loud blast or hard kick to indicate an overload. Both previous bullets hit the target so there was no bore obstruction.
Both guns were inspected and returned to service. The .40 needed a new extractor, spring, and plunger, I don't recall the .45 losing or ruining any parts.

Gotta figure bad brass. Everybody talks about the "unsupported chamber" of a Glock but they have not looked closely at an old time "throated" 1911 which can show an amazing amount of brass without coming apart.
Old January 31, 2013, 06:36 AM   #22
thedudeabides

Many 1911s have unramped, unsupported barrels with a huge chunk of the cartridge hanging out. Many have been throated to feed JHP. There should be 1911s exploding everywhere if that were the case.

45 ACP operates under very low pressures, it's one of the characteristics of the round, unless you decided to feed some 45 Super to an unramped 45 ACP, you shouldn't have problems.

Every 45 ACP Glock I've owned has had fully supported, ramped barrels. I guess you could polish and throat one to have less support, but even then unless you're shooting super, reloads, etc--but even then most Glocks will tolerate +P.
Old January 31, 2013, 09:58 AM   #23
Hairbag

I had 2 kabooms one was a Kahr K40 no fault of the gun it was brand new factory ammo which was recalled but I guess the GS store that sold it to me did not get the memo. Federal made it right replaced my gun and ammo. I had a kaboom on a kel tec PMR head case failure again. Wear your eye protection always! I will not use re-loads for 40 S&W thats just me. Yes, chamber support is very important. Yeah, you will hear stories about glocks going kaboom but its not the guns fault its bad ammo and when you have so many glocks out there compared to other guns of course you are going to hear more "stories" its a matter of math. Glocks are a proven handgun if you like em or not.
Old January 31, 2013, 10:44 AM   #24
Dan-O

Glock 21 documented KaBoom.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1466498

A double charge in any caliber is likely to ruin your day....real quick.
Old January 31, 2013, 10:57 AM   #25
Technosavant

Quote:
Many 1911s have unramped, unsupported barrels with a huge chunk of the cartridge hanging out. Many have been throated to feed JHP. There should be 1911s exploding everywhere if that were the case.
Exactly.

I'd worry about a G21 going kaboom about as much as I worry about getting hit by a meteorite. About the only way you're going to do that is by using tired and bulging brass or by overcharging the case... both are reloading errors.

With new factory ammo I'd not worry about it one little bit.

As others have said .40 is rather higher pressure than .45, but even then (with the partially unsupported chambers) it's not really an issue unless someone is reloading brass that should not be reloaded or putting in too much powder.