The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 11, 2008, 08:04 AM   #1
skydiver3346

Best gunsmith kit?

I really need a commercial gunsmithing kit for working on my guns, scopes, etc. Can anyone suggest the best kit to buy with all the needed tips, strength, etc. Am getting tire of ruining screws, bolts, with improper tools for working on my weapons. Thanks
Old September 11, 2008, 08:49 AM   #2
sholling

I'm assuming you mean gunsmith screwdriver kits. I'd be interested to know as well. Most of the kits that I've seen were poorly made or made from brittle materials.
Old September 11, 2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Scorch

Brownells sells a basic gunsmith tool set. It includes a magnetic-tip screwdriver, files, stones, punches, etc. It is a good set to start out with.
Old September 11, 2008, 10:45 AM   #4
johnwilliamson062

I can't speak for gunsmith kits, but in general extensive "tool kits" are not the best. Seems to be all seconds which end p in them. For starters very few companies are good at making more than one or two types of tools.
Old September 12, 2008, 10:19 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...or made from brittle materials..." They're supposed to break. The 'bits' are designed to break before the screwhead is damaged. The problem is that replacing them can be expensive and a nuisance. None of the smithies I know use them. They buy inexpensive screw drivers and grind them to fit.
Files and stones, improperly used, cause more damage than anything other tool. Except for a rotary tool like a Dremel.
Old September 12, 2008, 10:31 PM   #6
hoytinak

I use Brownells Magna-tip screwdrivers and really like them, Brownells also has some good punch sets and hammers that I use...actually just about all my gunsmithing handtools are Brownells.