The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 15, 2007, 03:26 AM   #26
Austin Cowart

dang

This thread makes me miss my dad or should i say "BUTCH..." Man made me wish that heater gave off just a little more monoxide to kill me cause living threw those stinky nights made me wish i could die. R.I.P. Dad.
Old November 15, 2007, 05:04 PM   #27
castnblast

Austin, I agree...I miss my dad...been really sentimental season for me this year. Dad died last December, and this was the first opening day w/o him. gotta admit though, this thread has cracked me up...been a fun one...Oh, nights were hell in the cabin when dad made his fried cabage and bratwurst...I'm supprised the darn thing never exploded!!! I sure built up one heck of a a methane tollerance over the years...
Old November 15, 2007, 06:28 PM   #28
kingudaroad

Getting away from reality for a while with fathers, sons, friends or whoever. Making those memories that never fade away. I guess that's what we're really hunting.
Old November 21, 2007, 03:13 PM   #29
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Getting away from reality for a while with fathers, sons, friends or whoever. Making those memories that never fade away. I guess that's what we're really hunting.
+100

My father is not a big hunter, but our getaway is fishing, snowmobiling or just sitting on the porch bullsh****** with a few drinks.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne

Last edited by Dirty_Harry; November 21, 2007 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Adding more
Old November 21, 2007, 04:45 PM   #30
NRA4life

This reminds me of one fateful night in the deer shack in Northern WI. One of the guy's wives had made a 5 gallon pail full of bean soup that the gang of us consumed one evening, along with about the same amount of Point Beer. The smell inside there the next morning was indescribable. One of the guys got out of bed and proclaimed "Jesus Christ, if I didn't know any better, I's swear somebody shoved a rasp up my A$$".
Old November 22, 2007, 02:49 AM   #31
454c

quote : Wait I'm confused - what exactly happens at this "Boys Town"? And you need a license to do it?

License? NO. Penicillin? Maybe.
Old November 22, 2007, 03:53 AM   #32
oldironman

Quote:
Holier than thou hunting. Not in Texas!
Hunting is what you make it. Some folks don't understand. You can go scout an area, find some sign and acorns, hide behind the tree and wait for bambi <--hunting. OR, You can go scout an area, find some sign and acorns, erect a blind (stand) and feeder, and wait for bambi <--hunting. Not much difference. Or you can walk and hunt. Problem is, for some poor-boy places like the ones where I hunt, there is absolutely no walking around (usually). You scout a spot, hide there behind a tree, and wait for bambi <--hunting. Some folks say it ain't REAL hunting unless you sneak up on 'em with a bow to within at least 15 yards. Folks, it's what you make from what you have. Some folks have more than others, others just cry more than others. Some are just holier than thou.
Old November 22, 2007, 04:28 AM   #33
TexasSeaRay

Agree. And better than 90% of the time, I hunt alone.

When I hunt elk, I pack in on horseback and a packmule, set up a base camp, and then go looking for sign. Find a good ambush/visibility spot, then wait and see. When I hunt wild pig, sometimes I'll walk around in the brush listening or sometimes I'll just sit up in a tree and wait.

Some animals stalk their prey, others ambush it. It's all hunting--all the moreso if you're eating it as well.

Only thing I don't abide is alcohol in my hunting camp or on any of the land I own and occasionally offer leases on. That don't set well with a lot of folks, but they're absolutely free to go hunt somewhere else or with someone else.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old November 22, 2007, 09:27 AM   #34
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

TSR, it's fine for you to shun booze if ya wanna. But IMO it's wrong to operate on the assumption that having booze at a hunt camp is stupid, evil or bad-nasty.

I figure we all oughta know that there are some who go bonkers if you hit 'em in the face with a wet bar rag. I've owned a couple of bars; I've seen 'em. Some folks are just plain alky, and those folks don't need to be at a hunt camp. But a few beers or drinks around supper time after the guns are all put away--again, IMO--doesn't hurt a thing.

Bottom line: Responsible behavior is all we NEED out of anybody.
Old November 22, 2007, 09:12 PM   #35
TexasSeaRay

Quote:
TSR, it's fine for you to shun booze if ya wanna. But IMO it's wrong to operate on the assumption that having booze at a hunt camp is stupid, evil or bad-nasty.
Well . . . lost count of the number of arrests I made because subjects had been drinking then had a lapse in judgement. Most of them didn't start out to get drunk, but . . .

Problem is, on my land, unless I'm there, I don't know if the hunters are having a single beer before turning in or if they're cracking open a case of Wild Turkey and draining it. And if anything bad happens, I'm potentially liable. Sure, they sign a waiver. Uh, huh. And nobody that has had a waiver has ever been sued.

So, my rule on my land is no booze.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old November 22, 2007, 11:01 PM   #36
USNairman

Quote:
Well . . . lost count of the number of arrests I made because subjects had been drinking then had a lapse in judgement. Most of them didn't start out to get drunk, but . . .

Problem is, on my land, unless I'm there, I don't know if the hunters are having a single beer before turning in or if they're cracking open a case of Wild Turkey and draining it. And if anything bad happens, I'm potentially liable. Sure, they sign a waiver. Uh, huh. And nobody that has had a waiver has ever been sued.

So, my rule on my land is no booze.

Jeff

Old November 23, 2007, 10:24 AM   #37
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

No doubt booze can be a problem. Years back, with a bunch on a lease, our unspoken custom was no beer or whiskey until the guns were all put away. I always was amused when it was seriously cold, by folks having a cold beer or a highball while doing the vertical rotisserie at the campfire. Always seemed like a tad of brandy in a cuppa kawfee made more sense.

But, lots of father/son pairs, and several of the fathers either worked together or knew others from other jobs. When all the folks know each other, acting like grownups comes naturally...

I've lost track about whether the Wynne family or corporation still owns Matagorda Island down on the Texas coast. Toddie Lee Wynne would have a bunch of folks down for a big deer hunt/fishing deal. There would be an evening bar setup, but two drinks was it, and then supper.

Some folks would go out fishing in the Gulf; others hunted birds or deer. My father and the foreman drove up the island, with my father shooting a bunch of bucks. A truck with ranch hands followed, gutting and hauling the deer. Deer, fish and birds were all cleaned and butchered, cut and wrapped, and all those in attendance had something to take home to Momma...

My father said that was his high year for shooting Bambi, with 32 bucks tagged. His two, and thirty other guys'. But I guess those days are pretty much long gone.
Old January 17, 2008, 02:40 PM   #38
shinnery jim

thanks Texassearay. I`m with you, I dont hunt with anyone who is drinking. dont get me wrong, I dont mind a guy who drinks. but not when I have a gun and he has a gun. booze and guns are a bad idea. it doesnt take a lot of beer or booze to screw up a great day.
Old January 17, 2008, 03:18 PM   #39
davlandrum

I admit, I was a hunting snob once upon a time. Learned to hunt in Oregon, and doing a lot of walking/stalking/still hunting. I always felt vastly superior to those who hunted by sitting in a tree or over a feeder.

Until Uncle Sam gave me the chance to hunt a lot of places around the country - Texas, upstate NY, Maryland.

The Army base I hunted in Texas required you to put up a feeder and keep it filled all summer to support the deer population. Hauling 50lb sacks of corn to a feeder a couple of times a week in the summer heat. Certainly the most labor intensive way I ever hunted. And if you add up the cost of feed, probably the most expensive venison I ever ate.

I learned tree-stand hunting in NY and MD. I don't care what anyone says, that is a cold-a** way to hunt. Trying to sit still while your toes have reached the temperature of dry-ice.

I am glad to be back in Oregon so I can hunt the easy way again!! Show up and go hunt, moving to keep warm.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old January 17, 2008, 05:34 PM   #40
Buzzcook

Except for the price that seems like a great way to hunt.
Especially when compared to sitting on a moldy stump in the rain, wearing a stinky orange poncho and wishing you'd notice the hole in the heel of your rubber boot before you'd left home.
Old January 17, 2008, 07:23 PM   #41
oldironman

Quote:
I've never been to Boys Town, but I've been told that on opening weekend it's so busy that the rooms get full and there is a line of camouflaged clad men holding hands with their "girls" waiting for rooms. That must be a sight!
I never -I repeat NEVER held hands with her!!
Old January 17, 2008, 08:35 PM   #42
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
But IMO it's wrong to operate on the assumption that having booze at a hunt camp is stupid, evil or bad-nasty.
Preach it brother.

TexasSeaRay I definatly understand where you are coming from, but that is one of the reasons I only hunt with people that I know very well and I know will be responsible. There is nothing like a good puff on the pipe and a drink of whiskey or two after a long day in the woods shooting the sh** with my father, uncle and friends.

Art I prefer a touch of whiskey in my kawfee.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old January 18, 2008, 06:18 PM   #43
10-96

It pisses me off to no end that hunting (read American hunting) has become a rich man's sport here in the high plains. Dog me all you want, but I will not appologize for being a rather slimly paid public servant nor will I cease to show contempt and disdain to more affluent folks when they brag about how much they pay or charge to hunt.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old January 19, 2008, 12:23 AM   #44
Beretta16

When I hunt I sit in a cold metal ladder stand in sub-zero temperatures with nothing but a few layers and some wool socks to keep me warm. I try to play the wind and I try to watch my scent and the closest thing I have to bait is maybe a cedar tree 20 yards or so away. I'm in thick stuff, and I'll probably never shoot a deer past 50 yards. When I raise my gun I have to be extremely careful, timing it when the deer's head is down or behind a tree. Sometimes they spot me, sometimes they don't. When they do, they will be gone faster than you can flick off your safety. I'll maybe see just 2 or 3 deer a year and when I do my whole body starts shaking and my heart beats like a war drum. I have trouble holding onto my gun when I get ready to take a shot. If I get one you better believe it's a trophy in my eyes, even if it does just have 2 little spikes and weighs in at 110 lbs.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.. I love the way I hunt and I live for it every year.