The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 27, 2007, 05:51 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Eastman Outdoors Show on the Outdoor Channel

It's a pretty good show, but our guide on the last show was going on Wyoming high desert mulie hunt, and he was showing us how he sights in his rifle before the hunt. Ol' boy proceeds to tell us that he loads in the "bullets" one at a time. I forgive him, but it's a bit irksome that these professional hunting guys aren't more "gun guys". Oh, and his rifle was a .30-378 Wby mag of course. Magnumitis - when you get the fever, there is no cure, baby!
Old February 27, 2007, 06:03 PM   #2
Fremmer

Quote:
his rifle was a .30-378 Wby mag of course.
If you think those Wyoming mulies are tough, you ought to see the Nebraska mulies. They require at least a .416 Rigby for a clean kill.....
Old February 27, 2007, 06:12 PM   #3
Tbag

I don't know guy's, but Florida Key's deer require at least a bmg .50 to bring'em down.
Old February 27, 2007, 06:17 PM   #4
rem33

Quote:
I forgive him, but it's a bit irksome that these professional hunting guys aren't more "gun guys". Oh, and his rifle was a .30-378 Wby mag of course. Magnumitis - when you get the fever, there is no cure, baby!
I may be in a minority here but IMO most of these guys are not really hunters anyway. The outfitter hires the guide who is really the hunter. He , the guide, take theses so called hunters out, shows them the animal and they proceed to shoot it. I know it isn't all that cut and dried but for the most part it is.

In some instances it has to be done that way. If you want to hunt brown bears in Alaska or hunt in Canada or live in a city and only have so much time etc. There is nothing else really you can do. If I hit the lotto I will do some of it. If I went to say Canada and shot a caribou, am I the hunter? Or is the guide that took me? I just shoot it? Fine line there and one reason I don't really care for those hunting shows.
Old February 27, 2007, 09:53 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I tend to shut off the reasoning and just enjoy the photography. Scenery, critters, and the happiness on the faces. I just leave it at that...

Art