The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 7, 2005, 10:04 PM   #1
ShottyTim

removing the syntehtic forend on 870

hey guys the title says it all, i got the copstock, and the standard forend is too long, i need to remove it and cut it a bit, then sand it down then attach it again so id doesnt get in the way when i pump it while in folded position, thanks for your time guys.

meaning come and get them
Old September 7, 2005, 11:51 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

You have to unscrew the round nut with the two notches inside the front of the forearm.

There are a number of methods.

1. See if a local gun shop has a special fore end wrench and will do it for you, or lend/rent you the wrench.

2. Buy your own wrench. These are expensive, especially for a one-time job.

3. Make a spanner type wrench. This is made from a piece of 1/8" thick steel plate, wide enough to fit the nut.
Grab it with a pair of Vise-Grips and use it to unscrew the nut.

4. I've heard of one man who used the slide assembly from his gun as a spanner. (If you try this, be VERY careful not to damage the expensive slide).

5. Be VERY wary of people who tell you to use a pair of needle nosed pliers to unscrew the nut by putting the tips into the slots and turning it.

One person was VERY unhappy after trying it, slipping, and damaging the thin fore end tube. He had to buy a new action bar assembly.

Another option: Wrap tape around the action bars to protect them, and cut the fore end down without removing it from the action bar assembly.

If you're careful, this works very well.
Old September 8, 2005, 12:05 AM   #3
ShottyTim

Dfaris, i really wish i would have read your post about wrapping it then cutting it on the assembly, my problem was i couldnt get the assembly outta the housing or whatever took me awhile to figure out there is two thing, one on each side that stop it from coming out, well i got it out needless to say, got it off and used a bandsaw and it turned out fantastic, then the process of getting back on took longer than i would car to admit, i space that there were two magazine release bars, only thought there was one, then finally shined a flashlight in it, then all back together and i can finally pump it with the copstock in the folded position, i feel good knowing i save 20-25 dollars, but damn it was a pain getting it back on, but DFARIS thank you soo much, i appreciate it, one question though guys, asided from being able to pump the gun with the stock in folded position, why do all the police and tactical models have shorter forends? Does it serve some purpose?

thanks again fellas.

meaning come and get them
Old September 8, 2005, 01:16 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

The short fore end has several purposes.

One, is to prevent getting your hand pinched between the longer sporting fore end and the receiver, and to keep the loading port open at all times.

Second is, the shorter fore end allows putting a side saddle on the receiver.
The sporting fore end is so long that it will hit a side saddle and cause the gun to fail to feed.

I'm assuming you have a Remington Owner's Manual with your gun that details how to disassemble it.

If not, Remington will send you one free for the asking, and here's a site with an online manual you can print out:
http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm
Old September 8, 2005, 03:21 PM   #5
Casp_A

Quote:
One, is to prevent getting your hand pinched between the longer sporting fore end and the receiver
Not necessarily. My 870 has the short LE forend on it and I had a good sized blood blister on my hand for three weeks from trying to cycle it one-handed.
Old September 8, 2005, 04:07 PM   #6
GunsnRovers

I think I got my 870 forearm wrench off eBay for $20 with shipping.

The reason we're all here is that we're not all there.
Old September 8, 2005, 06:51 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

"My 870 has the short LE fore end on it and I had a good sized blood blister on my hand"

Actually, I guess I wasn't too clear.

It's to prevent MIS-FEEDS if you get something caught between the overlapping sporting fore end and the receiver.
Old September 9, 2005, 03:20 AM   #8
Omaha-BeenGlockin

The needle nose trick worked for me---but go very slow and take your time.
-------Metallica