The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 22, 2004, 10:22 AM   #1
IamNOTaNUT

Colt single action help - what is this?

I was wondering if any of you can tell me what this is. It is a single action revolver, cap and ball, with a color case-hardened frame and polished blue octagonal barrel of about 6-inches.

The frame is marked "COLTS PATENT" on the left side of the frame. Underneath the frame is the number 141xx in three places adjacent to each other. On the frame, on the trigger housing plate near the front screw, and on the barrel assembly, adjacent to the number on the frame. The number is also marked on the butt of the grip.

The cylinder is marked "COLT'S PATENT No. 141xx". Underneath this is the inscription "Engraved by W.L. Ormsby New York".

The cylinder is engraved with a naval battle scene and the inscription, "ENGAGED 16 MAY 1843".

The barrel looks to be about .36 caliber, but I haven't mic'ed it to be sure.

Can someone tell me what this is, approximately when it was manufactured, and the approximate value?

Thanks!

I didn't do it, but I thought about it. Next time I might.

NRA
Old July 22, 2004, 10:29 AM   #2
joab

Most likely a Forgett (later Ubertti) made copy for Colt back in '82. Does it look lioke any of these.
I'll get better pics in a minute
Old July 22, 2004, 10:36 AM   #3
IamNOTaNUT

I can take some pictures, but I can't post them. I could e-mail anyone who thinks they might be able to help me out. There are no markings on it that say anything other than Colt.

Thanks!

NRA
Old July 22, 2004, 05:15 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Sure sounds like an 1851 Navy Colt, calibre .36 or reproduction thereof. "Navy" refers to the naval combat scene from the Mexican War on the cylinder, not to use by the US Navy.

Bear in mind that "Colt's Patent" does NOT mean it was made by Colt. There are a LOT of copies, old and new, that use that dodge to get the word "Colt" on the gun.

I don't know how the Second Generation (1979-1982) and Signature (1994) Colts are marked, but an original '51 will be marked ADDRESS SAM COLT, NEW YORK CITY or something similar. Later Colts like SAA are marked Colt's Pat. F.A. Mfg. Co. Hartford, Ct, USA, and I am sure there are a lot of variations. But it will be clear that it is a Colt gun and not just on a Colt patent.

Look on the bottom of the barrel with the rammer swung out of the way. That is where the Italian proof marks and actual maker's name are on my EMF copy.
Old July 22, 2004, 09:33 PM   #5
joab

Got to this site
Sign on for free
post your pics

Under your pic there will be 3 slots one each for url, tag,and img.
Copy the IMG line
paste to your post on this site,( do not use the IMG feature here)
pic will appear
Old July 22, 2004, 09:55 PM   #6
joab

Does it resemble either of these
Old July 22, 2004, 09:56 PM   #7
joab

Quote:
I don't know how the Second Generation (1979-1982) and Signature (1994) Colts are marked, but an original '51 will be marked ADDRESS SAM COLT, NEW YORK CITY
The second generations are marked the same as originals, the difference will be in the serial #s
Old July 23, 2004, 10:56 AM   #8
IamNOTaNUT

joab - it looks similar to the bottom pistol, but is has a color case hardened frame, the one in your photo looks brass. I will have to look at the pistol again to make sure I haven't missed any markings, and I will check under the rod this time.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

NRA