The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 14, 2019, 02:10 AM   #51
RMcL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob228 View Post
I use Federal Flight Control #1. I have a bunch of Hornady 00 as well but the Federalshoots just a touch better.
Federal Flight Control #1B: Discontinued round.
Old July 14, 2019, 12:17 PM   #52
SPEMack618

Federal Flite Control OO Buck

It's what the Georgia Troopers and Local SO carry in their riot guns. And man, does that stuff stay TIGHT.
Old July 15, 2019, 12:25 PM   #53
Warhammer

LE uses Flite Control because they are much more likely to engage a target at distances greater than we would in an in-home, self defense scenario. I agree with the several other who feel that Flite Control rounds for the purposes discussed in this thread are not the best match. The longest shot I could make inside my home is 33 feet, and that's with my back against a wall and the target literally standing on the threshold of my front door.

My choice is a reduced recoil 00 buckshot like Fiocchi LE (9 pellets @ 1150 fps) or #4 buckshot like Remington Ultimate Defense (21 pellets @ 1200 fps) fired from my 14" barreled, cylinder bore Shockwave with a pistol brace added for stability. (I practiced a bit with the Shockwave in it's original configuration, and muscle memory kept making me want to shoulder it's non-existent stock, lol.) At under 35 ft, the loss of 200 fps concerns me less that the ability to get a faster follow-up shot on target. And at such a short distance, I don't want any special wadding to hold the pattern any tighter than it will be already.
Old July 15, 2019, 01:20 PM   #54
2damnold4this

Quote:
14" barreled, cylinder bore Shockwave with a pistol brace added for stability.
I didn't know it was legal to put a pistol brace on a Shockwave. If it is legal, that would make the firearm a lot more usable.
Old July 15, 2019, 03:40 PM   #55
Warhammer

Yes, it is and, yes, it really does!

As long as the overall length is kept greater than 26 inches, and the addition is not a "stock," you are gtg.

Last edited by Warhammer; July 15, 2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old July 15, 2019, 03:49 PM   #56
SPEMack618

I'm running it in a 590 with slug sights. I like the tight grouping. I didn't see elsewhere the distance we were discussing.

I'd still feel comfortable using it at 33 feet.

Federal also makes a reduced recoil load with 8 pellets and the flight control wad.

Last edited by SPEMack618; July 15, 2019 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Spelling; grammar
Old July 16, 2019, 08:07 AM   #57
davidsog

Quote:
I like the tight grouping.
One of the most overlooked aspects of HD shotguns. You must pattern your gun and shoot the rounds you intend use.
Old July 30, 2019, 04:48 PM   #58
reynolds357

Quote:
. No, 3" is not necessary, WAY too much for indoor use. I leave mine hammer down on an empty chamber. Since my 9mm is my first line, racking the gun is not an issue for me. But do not believe that Hollywood/Internet crap about racking the slide and all the BGs dive out the window.
I did not carry a pump on duty at the Police Dept. I carried a L.F. Law 12. I can tell you from many multiple experiences that when I racked the action, the b.s. ended. Hands reached for the sky.

№4 buck is the preferred home defense load.
Old August 5, 2019, 04:52 PM   #59
Terrierman

If 2 3/4" 9 pellet 00 buck is preferred by the vast majority of law enforcement agencies across the country, that's good enough for me.
Old August 11, 2019, 07:19 AM   #60
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I am planning to get a Mossberg Maverick 12 gauge, 20 inch, 8 shot shotgun strictly for home defense use. Now, I suppose once the BG heard me racking my first shot, they would turn tail and end of story. That being said, what would you load your shot gun with? I've always heard the cliché of 3 inch 00 Buck. But really, is 3 inch magnum really needed for close up SD shooting in your home? I've read that 2-3/4 high brass is more than plenty for HD and less shock to the shooter. And I have heard a lot of folks say they would load up with slugs. That would stop a BG dead in his tracks for sure. But would it go through a wall and into my neighbors house if I miss my target? So, I'm curious as to what YOU would choose for a home SD load? Thanks
Just got one of these new and it is great fun to shoot..very reliable, easy to disassemble and clean..all around great SG..plus GunBroker-$115 plus ship

"Tools not Trophies”
Old August 11, 2019, 11:28 AM   #61
Schlitz 45

My current HD shotgun is a Winchester 1200 pump that I’ve tweaked a bit. It hangs behind a door with an empty chamber & 16 Aguila buckshot mini shells in the extended tube. It cycles them with zero issues, minimal recoil that Mrs Schlitz has no issue with & those little devils pack a pretty good punch & will certainly clear a hallway.