The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2018, 03:36 PM   #1
rebs

problems reloading 357 rem max

I am using RCBS 357 MAX dies.
If I adjust the depriming/resizing die the way it says in the instructions it will split the case on two side directly across from each other. If I back out the die it does not resize the entire case.
The other problem is seating the bullet, to get the correct OAL there is only one or two threads on the seater plug that are in the die. Its like there is not enough adjustment.
Has anyone else had these problems ? What do you use to reload this round ?
Old January 15, 2018, 04:05 PM   #2
603Country

That sounds really odd, you having the right dies and they don’t work. You might not have the right dies. I’d call RCBS and discuss it with them.
Old January 15, 2018, 05:04 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

I've loaded thousands of 357max shells without this ever happening. Sounds like you have a set of 357 magnum dies, not maximum dies. Some of the older die sets would not do the max cases. The die was simply too short. Take a look at the stamping on the die and see what it says. If you have the plastic box look to see what it says. Did you buy this set used?
Old January 15, 2018, 05:11 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Sounds like you have a set of 357 maGnum dies, not maXimum dies.
My thoughts exactly.

I have received the wrong dies from RCBS (purchased through Midway, but the boxes were mis-tagged from RCBS) before (two 44Spl/Mag taper crimp dies, that were actually roll crimp dies - RCBS made it right and covered the shipping both ways). Just sharing my experience to demonstrate that it could well be that you have the wrong dies.
Old January 15, 2018, 05:22 PM   #5
NoSecondBest

Based on what you say about seating the bullet, that alone tells me you have mag dies, not max dies. I think you need another die set. Get a set of Lyman or Hornady with a carbide sizer.
Old January 15, 2018, 05:39 PM   #6
ammo.crafter

max v mag

You can use max dies for both cartridges but not vice versa.
Old January 15, 2018, 05:57 PM   #7
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebs View Post
I am using RCBS 357 MAX dies.
If I adjust the depriming/resizing die the way it says in the instructions it will split the case on two side directly across from each other. If I back out the die it does not resize the entire case.
The other problem is seating the bullet, to get the correct OAL there is only one or two threads on the seater plug that are in the die. Its like there is not enough adjustment.
Has anyone else had these problems ? What do you use to reload this round ?
Splitting the case on two sides on resizing....that sounds like something is terribly
wrong. Just what are the dies marked...you may have gotten the wrong die.
Resizing doesn't usually split a case in two . Photo's of this ?
I'm wondering if you need to adjust the dies as if you were loading 357 magnum ammo with 38 special dies. If these are 357 magnum dies and you are loading longer 357 maximum ....then the written instructions are not exactly correct.

I just got home and pulled out my 38 spl./357 mag. RCBS dies ,
Die #1 is a sizer. That's it. It will size the 38 spcl and longer 357 mag. and I can see no reason for it not to size the even longer 357 Max. case.
Die #2 is the decapping /neck expanding and flaring die. To load 357 mag you have to back the die out and adjust the neck expanding stem out. To allow for the longer 357 case.
Die #3 is the bullet seating/crimping die and this die must also be backed out for 357 mag. because the case is longer.
You may need to disregard the written instructions you have and adjust the dies like you would adjust 38 spcl dies to load 357 mag. back everything out...don't follow the instructions about screwing them down to touch the shell holder...that may be too much.

Gary

Last edited by gwpercle; January 16, 2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old January 15, 2018, 08:41 PM   #8
NoSecondBest

Quote:
Die #1 is a sizer. That's it. It will size the 38 spcl and longer 367 mag. and I can see no reason for it not to size the even longer 357 Max. case.
If the die body is too short the decapping assembly will hit the top of the cartridge case and damage it. I think the RCBS 357mag die is too short for the max cartridge. I had that trouble back when I got my first .357max and had to use a different sizing die. My RCBS die set was for 38spl and .357mag. It would not do the .357max.

Last edited by NoSecondBest; January 16, 2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old January 16, 2018, 04:42 PM   #9
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
If the die body is too short the decapping assembly will hit the top of the cartridge case and damage it. I think the RCBS 357mag die is too short for the max cartridge. I had that trouble back when I got my first .357max and had to use a different sizing die. My RCBS die set was for 38spl and .357max. It would not do the .357max.
I see what you mean...I think he must have a 357 mag. sizer die.

What brand sizer did you get that worked with 357 maximum and did the other two 357 magnum RCBS dies work, when properly adjusted , for the longer 357 maximum ?
Gary
Old January 17, 2018, 09:00 AM   #10
rebs

Both the box and the dies are marked 357 MAX. Die #11 sizes and decaps, #2 bells the mouth and #3 seats and crimps. I backed out the #1 die so it doesn't split the case but I am not sure it is full length resizing the case. #2 bells the mouth right, #3 seats the bullet too deep. I set #3 for the right crimp and to get the right seating depth the seater plug is only screwed in by one thread, I cannot back it out any more without it running out of thread. I managed to get the rounds loaded by using 38/357 mag belling and seating dies. I will not be loading any more of these 357 MAX rounds as it is too much trouble. I wil just give the dies to my friend who owns the 357 MAX contender and he can do what he wants with them.
Old January 17, 2018, 09:03 AM   #11
Mobuck

I've NEVER seen a sizing die "split a case".