The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 21, 2016, 04:31 PM   #1
Venom1956

Need help finding rings.

I wanted to use these vortex rings http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...-riflescope-87

But i noticed they do not work with weaver rails which is what is on my rifle.

they do have some .97 weaver ones apparently which i suppose i can use.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...riflescope-97w

Does anyone know from experience why these wont work on weaver rails?

Any low mount alternatives are welcome my scope rail already has a built in riser so lower the rings i can get the better. they need to be 30 mm as well.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old April 22, 2016, 01:01 PM   #2
Polinese

My guess would be they're sized for a picatinny rail which has a wider groove than a weaver rail.
Old April 22, 2016, 02:48 PM   #3
Scorch

Picatinny rails have square grooves, Weaver bases have round grooves. Vortex rings have square crosspieces. You could modify a Weaver base to allow use of the Picatinny rings, but it's easier to just buy the right base to begin with.
Old April 22, 2016, 02:50 PM   #4
SSA

There's Picatinny, and there's Weaver style. A google search will turn up plenty of information.
The scope rail already has a built in riser? If it's anything tacticool, it's probably a Picatinny rail, even if it's made by Weaver.
There are lots of 30mm rings, Weaver style or Picatinny, to choose from.
Old April 22, 2016, 03:14 PM   #5
ms6852

Weaver has something similar to your vortex ring, they even have a six screw set vs the four screw from vortex which you have selected.
Old April 23, 2016, 01:53 PM   #6
RC20

You may want to try Warne rings.

they have a base that is setup for most rifles and their ring height tool works for a given rifle scope (Objective end) combo.

I like how the vertical splits work. Adjust the bottom tight, snug down the top to toque specs, good to go, slot on top gives you and alignment marks for the turret or mark on the scope if it has one.