The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2018, 07:36 AM   #1
LBussy

Source for Once-Fired

I found a source for once fired that looks pretty good. I'm sure if it's not good someone will tell me.

9mm Luger - 2000 count - Recycled Range Brass - Sorted and Tumbled (Polished) - $44.99 ($0.02/rd)

223 Remington - 1000 count - Recycled Range Brass - Sorted and Tumbled (Polished) - $52.99 ($0.05/rd)

Seems like good prices for polished brass. He also includes +10% to cover any bad pieces.

Other stuff like .380, .40, .45, 5.7x28 too.

Ranger's Recycled Range Brass-10% extra-Veteran owned

I've not made a purchase yet, just sharing what I found.
Old January 13, 2018, 10:13 AM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

Sounds like a good deal to me. My source for brass is the ground at the range. They allow me to pick up some provided I do not try to take every piece that hits the ground. As well as not hovering next to someone shooting to pick up their brass as soon as it hits the ground.

Note I let the range staff shoot my guns. I help them clean up. I help fix some things that are broken from time to time if I can fix it there. Also any extras that I do not reload for I clean up, and bag for the store they put them out, and sell them cheap with the reloading supplies they sell there.
Old January 13, 2018, 10:24 AM   #3
shootniron

Sounds like reasonable brass prices.

I pick up some brass at the range, mostly .45acp, recently I have gotten to where I just buy new Starline brass...buy 500 and it lasts for a long time.

Most of what I buy from Starline is .357, .44special and .44mag.
Old January 13, 2018, 11:19 AM   #4
hdwhit

Quote:
LBussy wrote:
9mm Luger - 2000 count - Recycled Range Brass - Sorted and Tumbled (Polished) - $44.99 ($0.02/rd)
Don't forget to add the $13.60 shipping to your per-round cost. Shipping costs vary greatly between sellers so make sure you factor it in. I've more than once run across a great price on brass just to discover that the seller was making his profit on the shipping costs.

There are lots of on-line sellers of brass.

https://rangebrass.us/ (also operates a bidding site for hard-to-find brass)
https://www.kensbrass.com/
http://www.oncefiredbrass.com/
http://brassbombers.com/
http://www.diamondkbrass.com/
http://www.evergladesammo.com/
https://www.rmrbullets.com/
https://americanreloading.com/en/
http://www.reloadingvalley.com/Default.asp

This list is by no means exhaustive, these are just sellers I can quickly call to mind that I have dealt with in the past and based on the experience would deal with again.

I personally want my brass to come with as little preparation as possible (maybe call it "free range brass") because I don't know how the seller in their rush to keep a handle on costs may have decapped the brass, removed the primer crimp, polished it, what "additives" they may have used to help the polishing process along, etc. Give me the dirtiest, but undamaged, brass you've got and I'll happily take it from there.
Old January 13, 2018, 11:23 AM   #5
hdwhit

Quote:
LBussy wrote:
He also includes +10% to cover any bad pieces.
It is common practice amongst the on-line sellers to include extra cases to cover any bad pieces or pieces of a different caliber. The practice is so common that many sellers don't make any mention of doing it, but I recently got an order of 250 cases that contained 307.
Old January 13, 2018, 03:33 PM   #6
AVirginian

The Brass Bank, Facebook page has some great deals too.
Old January 13, 2018, 03:36 PM   #7
Marco Califo

Range pickup by any name is at least once fired, and mixed brands and lots. A fair price is free.
I prefer military once fired with primer crimps (or processed by a reputable vendor). The crimp is proof of only fired once. Also, LC in a limited number of years gives you consistency. Yes, this costs more, for a better product.
I will pickup free range brass especially if all LC. But these all go into my bulk supply for loading 55 gr. FMJ at mid-load range. 9mm is often cheaper to buy loaded ammo, and I would choose IMI over Aguila
Old January 13, 2018, 03:42 PM   #8
LBussy

People have varying levels of access to range brass. For me, there's no good place to get the pickups. 9mm sure, but not .223/5.56. Strange, since I'm basically down the street from Lake City.

If a fair price is free, I'd be more than willing to pay postage for you to send me some.
Old January 13, 2018, 04:21 PM   #9
Nathan

Those prices aren't bad. Paid $50 for 1000 LC mixed years....uncleaned...best deal I could find...

For 9mm, I'm thinking 1000 mixed, wet tumbled is a good deal, but 2000 ought to be closer to $35, imo.

All prices to my door.
Old January 14, 2018, 03:04 PM   #10
gwpercle

www.precisiononcefiredbrass.com/

1000 9mm Luger $17.95. Larger quantities are even cheaper. Check out site they have other calibers for sale. I have been pleased with their brass 100%.
Gary
Old January 15, 2018, 05:04 PM   #11
Sandman799

Wow that’s better pricing then I get loacally from my brass guy, I am just starting loading so I need to build a stock of brass and I was able to only buy what I could load at first, however it seems at least to me it’s cheaper to buy new unforced 45 colt and 44 mag brass because these people want $20.00/100 and I can buy 500 starline 45 colt or 44 Magnum for $100.00 give or take a buck or two so why pay $20.00 for 100 used bras when I can get new for about the same price? Just curious

BC
Old January 15, 2018, 07:25 PM   #12
Marco Califo

I would say new Starline is much better brass, and more consistent than mixed range brass. For the same price, yes.
Precision brass was out of 9mm and 40.
Old January 15, 2018, 07:51 PM   #13
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman799 View Post
Wow that’s better pricing then I get loacally from my brass guy, I am just starting loading so I need to build a stock of brass and I was able to only buy what I could load at first, however it seems at least to me it’s cheaper to buy new unforced 45 colt and 44 mag brass because these people want $20.00/100 and I can buy 500 starline 45 colt or 44 Magnum for $100.00 give or take a buck or two so why pay $20.00 for 100 used bras when I can get new for about the same price? Just curious

BC
This brass comes from an indoor firing range, the common calipers 9mm, 40 S&W ,
380 auto , 45 acp , 223 is cheap because they get a lot of it.
The other calipers 357 magnum , 44 magnum and such there is not as much savings so just buying new makes more sense.
I recently bought 100 new Starline 357 magnum because Precision was $63.00per 1000 for once fired mixed head stamp , not a bad price but I only wanted 100 so I bought new ones.
Gary
Old January 15, 2018, 08:47 PM   #14
rodfac

Yeah, but is it truly "once fired"? I trust no range pick up brass...too many morons that "explore" the outer limits of the pressure envelope!

I buy a box of factory ammunition, test it for accuracy, chronograph velocity, and fired primer appearance, then use it for my own load development. I also buy new Starline brass...I've found it to be first class in every respect. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old January 15, 2018, 10:51 PM   #15
jhansman

Yeah, I emailed him just to see if he had any swaged military .223, and the next day I get an email saying he has 500 pieces, swaged and ready to ship and how do I want to pay for it. When I replied I was only asking if he had any, his reply was "I have it boxed and ready, make me an offer." A little to aggressive for me. The brass may have been fine, but I got a wierd vibe from him. Just me, probably, but no sale.
Old January 16, 2018, 12:10 AM   #16
Marco Califo

Precision, mentioned above, has 45 ACP at good prices, but if you read the reviews, they mix small and large primer 45ACP (and don't tell you). The price is still good, and if your are buying a 1,000, you will end up sorting, and then keeping the two separate, including 700 LP (and 300 SP).
For me personally, I have both sizes pistol primers. Reloaded small primer cases would be loaded and then shot a range that keeps all brass.
I get the impression Precision is selling the brass kept at one of those ranges. Precision does not say their brass is from a private range, therefore, assume it is a public range. Reading the reviews and their dates, the ratio of S to L is increasing. So, by April they should have very few Large Primer 45 ACP brass.