The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 11, 2018, 07:26 PM   #26
stagpanther

Press came in on Friday, while the Lee stand--which I'm very fond of--came in today.

So away I went.

The Lee stand comes with a link for mounting presses other than theirs--the manual gives a URL to download a template which basically has all the various screw holes laid out--though it doesn't say anything about which presses which holes work with. I went ahead and cut out the 3/4 ply as instructed (they apparently no longer include a mounting block--which I got with the first stand I bought from them). After following all the instructions for cutting and fitting--I discovered to my dismay the template is the wrong size and doesn't fit the z-holders; it's bit undersized. Gee, that was fun. To save the project, I ended up bolting the block of wood I had cut to the standard metal plate that is set up for Lee presses. It works fine.

The press comes mostly assembled--all you have to do is install the handle and you're good to go--though I haven't assembled and installed the straight primer feed yet. The only fault I found was that the turret lock nut is on so tight I can't get it to budge. No problem for now--but I do have a couple of extra turrets coming in (assuming Optics Planet actually finds them after listing them "in stock" on their site) and I'd like to figure out how to change them out. The owners manual is a bit sparse on instructions--in fact it's really just a catalog. The turret appears to be self-centering with the case/shell-holder. While not one-finger operational--it is still a very easy press to size cases with--and I like the fact dies cinch down directly in the turret as opposed to having a "quick change" collar, which I've found generally adds movement (and measurement inconistencies). I ran a batch of 224 valk brass--some of which had been stretched a bit in some hot loads--and everything the press sized was consistent and "chamber-ready" for my gun.

So far--I like a lot.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg press-on-stand.jpg (176.6 KB, 98 views)
Old September 11, 2018, 08:27 PM   #27
stagpanther

Just installed the straight primer feed--my first thought was no way I have the patience to feed those little things one by one--but soon figured out all I had to do was press them in from the primer tray. Still a bit cumbersome--but tolerable. Primer seating is a breeze--however, because of the extra leverage force it's hard to "tell by feel" if the primer cup in the case might be stretched a bit.
Old September 12, 2018, 09:30 AM   #28
stagpanther

I called Lyman--turns out they use a heavy duty loktite to seal the lock nut on the turret--gonna take some work to get that off. I also let them know that functionally everything works great--but the primer feed--being directly in front of the ram--is really a PITA to remove by having to deal with 3 bolts every time you want it out of the way--I told them they should make a quick release system for future improvements.
Old September 12, 2018, 09:42 AM   #29
Ben Dover

Borrow your wife's hair dryer and heat up that loctite until it's uncomfortable to touch. The bolt will then come out fairly easily.
Old September 12, 2018, 09:51 AM   #30
stagpanther

Quote:
Borrow your wife's hair dryer and heat up that loctite until it's uncomfortable to touch. The bolt will then come out fairly easily.
She wasn't too keen on the possibility of the hair dryer being returned with smokeless powder in it.
Old September 12, 2018, 11:47 AM   #31
FrankenMauser

It may just be the fact that I like any excuse to use fire, but I'd probably take a torch to it. If they used red loctite or one of the bearing seating compounds, the hair dryer isn't going to cut it.
Old September 12, 2018, 01:50 PM   #32
stagpanther

Quote:
It may just be the fact that I like any excuse to use fire, but I'd probably take a torch to it. If they used red loctite or one of the bearing seating compounds, the hair dryer isn't going to cut it.
Yup--I'm already good yo go with the torch thing. Honestly--it's easier for me to keep track of things and keep my dies sorted properly by removing them and storing them in their boxes when I'm done--I'm not even sure I'm really going to need to swap the turrets out.
Old September 12, 2018, 01:52 PM   #33
stagpanther

It is a very smooth and precise press a bargain at the price I got it for IMO. Big hunk of iron--I like that VERY much.
Old September 12, 2018, 02:21 PM   #34
Don P

Quote:
I have to agree with Sevens. Lyman makes good products, but whoever makes product development decisions for them IMHO should retire.
Maybe, unless they are trying to take business away from Redding. It look just like the Redding except its yellow instead of green
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 12, 2018, 02:28 PM   #35
stagpanther

Quote:
Quote:
I have to agree with Sevens. Lyman makes good products, but whoever makes product development decisions for them IMHO should retire.
Maybe, unless they are trying to take business away from Redding. It look just like the Redding except its yellow instead of green
Well, I like it...and I like Creedmoor too!
Old September 12, 2018, 04:51 PM   #36
Ben Dover

Franken, I never had any trouble with red loctite and the hair dryer!

Just takes a little patience!
Old September 13, 2018, 10:00 PM   #37
F. Guffey

I have the 6 position Herter, there was a time I could have sent the turret back to add 6 more positions, back then rather than add a turret I added a press. I also have the two ram press by Herter and I have the 'U' press. And then there were the shell holders; Herter shell holders fit the case, RCBS shell holders fit the case like a hand me down shirt; they only fit the cases where they touched.

And then there were the adapter kits, I thought the adapter kits were a bad habit; the RCBS shell holder did not fit the case.

F. Guffey